Video clips of our school

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by mike-IHF, Aug 19, 2005.

1. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

To All,

Master Allen has added some video clips from past demos/seminars to the website. These are the first clips we have put out for public viewing. The first two are from GM Chang's 2004 visit to Hill Airforce Basein Utah. The others are from Korea in the 1990's. The last clip is of GM Chang at our last seminar in Maryland this past June. There is some good material on belt techs, sword defense, and a great kicking demo which actually has a story behind it. Please feel free to check them out. just click the link to the school, and go to the video page. Hope you enjoy them. If you should have any questions please feel free to ask. Thank you.

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

some nice looking stuff in there.

i am curious i assume these are pre planned demonstrations, not free fighting?

3. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Wild_pitch,

Yes, for the most part they were pre-planned demo's. Most of them were held on military bases, either in Korea or the one in Utah. Basically just to show the art to the public, and military personel. The only one where the two guys were really going at it is the kicking demo. Which is why I said above, that there was an interesting story behind it. The story is this. GM Chang arranged for those teenagers to do the kicking segment of the demo. What GM Chang did not know is that these two had problems with each other from school. So actually they were really trying to hurt one another. It's hard to here, but after that final kick, GM Chang yelled at them to stop. And they did, bowed to each other and sat down.

4. Silentalero

Silentalero New Member

Nice videos, yea i was gonna say the rest seemed a little planned, but the kicking they were going at it, especially when he was laying down hurting because in a planned demo you expect the hit or fall to some degree.

5. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Silentalero,

Yeah, they diden't care for one another :eek: . I always cringe when I see the one kid bounce off is neck like that. Nasty. There are some small segments of the other clips, that are a little bit more improvised. But, like I said most of them were just to show what we do, nothing more. I Have tons of video material that is newer, and I wanted to add them to my own website, but I have been having problems with my website lately. I suppose because it's free, and it likes to cause me problems LOL. Anyway, I'm glad you liked them. Take care.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I liked those a lot. It at least appeared that there was some resistance, which, good thing, even for demos. I liked the Belt Defense best...

7. Silentalero

Silentalero New Member

If you need good hosting for cheap, my friend has webspace for less than $200 a year. Not sure exactly how much you need but he's a good friend and is ok with hosting smaller sites. He's a network admin for fox valley motorsports (lambourghini, lotus) so he has some leeway, lol

8. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Bai Kai Guy,

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed them. Yeah, we always like to use a little resistance, which like you said is always good for training. We don't get into using too much, because that's when injuries start to occur. And if your injured, you can't train you know? Yeah, the belt demo has always been one of my favorites from the video. The Korean guy in that demo is Master Cho. He runs a school in Germany somewhere, not sure exactley where. He does not have a website or anything, so I have not been able to contact him at all.

Silentalero,

Hey, that sounds great. I'll keep you informed on that. Right now I'm not making much from teaching, so I'll have to wait atleast until the end of this year, or beginning of next. But, thank you for the offer. I'll definetely keep that in mind.

9. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Thank you Mr. Merchant. These are some very nice clips. That belt clip is especially nice, very smooth, very intense. I bet they felt it the next day.

It's obvious from the kicks that your group trains quite hard and quite well. I'm really impressed with how smooth and fluid the movements are. I know they're prearranged demos, but they're still very nicely done.

I'm very impressed.

10. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Zac,

Thank you Zac. Yeah GM Chang puts alot of pressure on training hard. And he loves to torture us with kicking, probably because he knows no one likes it. That's the way he is. The weird thing is that we don't kick in any of our techniques. We lern them for kick defense mainly. But he says "just because we don't use kicks, does not mean we don't know How to kick". kind of funny, but true. Thanks again.

11. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

I just read that my post again I said "It's obvious from the kicks". I meant clips. Not that these cats didn't kick very well. I'm more impressed with how smooth the blanding in these clips is while still maintaining "attitude" when executing the throw.

Make me want to practice more.

12. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Zac,

LOL, ok now I see what you were saying. Kicks, clips same thing :) LOL. Anyway, thanks again for the comments. I forgot where you are living, but anytime you want to come train with us, your more than welcome. I'm going to try and do a seminar at the end of October. I'll post the details next month, and if your able, maybe you could attend. Take care.

P.S. Please, just call me Mike. MR. makes me feel old. LOL.

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

someone needs o teach those kids in the kicking demo how to breakfall, owch :D

that kick he did at the end was pretty cool though, that was one of Baeks moves in tekken 2.... very cool to see someone do it in real life :D

14. WhereMyRiceGo

WhereMyRiceGo Banned Banned

i liked the kicking demo.

15. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Mike,

I'm in St. Louis. A bit far from Virginia, but if I'm ever out that way, you can bet I'll try to stop by and if you're ever in my neck of the woods, drop me a line. We can get together to swap notes if nothing else.

Ikken
    "that kick he did at the end was pretty cool though, that was one of Baeks moves in tekken 2.... very cool to see someone do it in real life "

That kick is indeed cool, I'll never have an opportunity to use it, but I still love it. I think I'm able to generate more power with that kick than with any other kick I know. I normally have to have two people bracing the bag when I throw it. Again totally worthless in a fight, but damn it's cool.

16. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Zac,

Wow, St. Louis! that is far. For some reason, I thought you were closer. Maybe I was thinking of someone else on the board. But, definetely if I'm ever in that area, I'll drop you a line. Take care.

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Awesome clips there. Loved the kicking demo that was fun to watch.

EDIT: The staff techniques were very unique. What percent of the staff techniques are contingent on the other party keeping a hold on the staff?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005