Video about the Yang TJQ Two-person exercises?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by oldyangtaiji, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Kaitain

Kaitain Valued Member

If you're part of YSC lineage like (i.e. Steve Rowe or myself), then this form is really important to your training - YSC is "the man". Maybe it's the familiarity from years of training this form, but I can see things in his movement that are exceptional - there is such quality and ease to his form, it's great.

It's very interesting to see how little has changed - a lot of stuff seems to have been stripped out for the purposes of the demo, but the overall quality is still the same. What do you think Steve? It may just be that the internal quality we all seek to train in (spiralling etc) is not visible - but usually the YSC people strip it out for demos.

Cloudhands was the major difference I noticed - much more shoulder on display rather than just implied. Single whip is done differently with my teacher, but I've been considering changing it for a while - I think it makes sense to work a few different types.

I liked how 'peng' his frame was.

2. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

I didn't say I thought he was no good, just the clip isn't that special imho
    I also think we tend to see what we want to see in these things. So, I guess because I'm not a Yang purist or attached to any lineage I just see a good old Taiji guy doing his form on a dodgy old film lol
    I'm just happier not buying into all that Yang history stuff tbh.
    Wouldn't do if we were all the same tho would it? :)
    :Angel:

3. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

The classics say that 'you can't teach it until you can hide it', so that tells you a lot. If you train in his lineage and have the 'eye' for it there's a lot that's subtle and the obvious is to put your attention off. His physique also tells you a lot about his training. An interesting film for anyone in his direct lineage, but I would think quite boring for anyone else.

4. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

Okay guys I thought you might like to know that the original of that film was sent back to Mary Yang (Ma Li Yeung) YSC's daughter from the Taiwanese govt with an apology that it might have been copied. She did not want it shown for the simple reason that it was a private film that her father didn't want made public.

5. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Valued Member

Does Mary Yang still teach?

6. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

I'm pretty sure she does. I'm training under Bob Boyd, Ip Tai Tak's second disciple, and he mentioned in passing recently that his first taijiquan teacher, John Conroy, is now traininig under Mary Yang.

I really like the YSC clip- there's not a ton of taiji online that looks like the way Bob shows it. Even though I'm pretty new to taiji, it's obvious that what YSC is doing is what I'm learning, although there are differences in some of the movement between what I've learned and what YSC is demonstrating.

7. Kaitain

Kaitain Valued Member

I believe Steve Rowe trains with Mary Yang? Just ask him :)

Makes you wonder how much stuff like this is kept privately. It's a shame - I understand the rationale behind it, but it's still a shame.

8. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

Mary only really teaches (AFAIK) Jim Uglow, John Conroy and Joe Balthazar now, my access to her (7 trips) was through Jim Uglow and the information above came via him with permission to post it. Mary is a 'proper' person and very unlike any other Chinese teachers that I've met, she referred to her family 'burden' of doing things the right way and I can see her being very upset that this film was released, not because of the content, but because of her late fathers wishes.