Video about the Yang TJQ Two-person exercises?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by oldyangtaiji, Sep 2, 2006.

1. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Yes, his theory seems based on Connective Tissue System (CTS). I don't now much about it, but I will when I will read the book.
    Many also recommends Rick Barrett's seminars!

2. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

YSC's daughter who only learned taiji from her father teaches it as a form and straight out of the red book.

3. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

Rare Yang Shouzhong clip

Steve, I got this from emptyflower. I think you will be interested in seeing this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tUzXFLZH6o"]YouTube[/ame]

4. oldyangtaiji

I already made a DivX version for my collection! :love:

5. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

Excellent!! Thank you. That is how his daughter teaches it.

6. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  7. oldyangtaiji

Yes there ara many lineages, frames and so on. Different masters made different versions of Taijiquan. Also the Tian family ( http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=middle+frame+of+yang+family&search=Search ) is not the original Yang family style but the Tian's variation of it. It is nothing wrong, because all masters adapt the TJQ for to their needs.

I like the Yang Cheng Fu version! This videos of Yang Sau Chung, Fu Zhong Wen and Dong Ying Jie doing the form are an inestimable treasure for all Yang style Taijiquan practicioners and they represents the standards of Yang TJQ.

8. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

I like Cheng Fu version too, it suits bigger framed individuals better than some others and he was obviously no salad-cruncher himself.

9. Chewie

Chewie Valued Member

Old Yang,

"I already made a DivX version for my collection!"

Any chance you could put up that video on Youtube or somewhere? - it's been taken down now and I didn't get to see it!!!! :cry:

10. Kaitain

Kaitain Valued Member

I have a couple of the DVD's mentioned in here - YJM's is the best one. Plenty of information, demonstrated at a high skill level (even if you dont exhibit taiji principles the same way as YJM, you can see clearly that he is exhibiting what he understands), plenty of intent and liveliness on show as well - it gives you a great feel for how it can be when done properly.

Having said all of that - I dont train or teach the 2-man form. I prefer to break out particularly patterns (Ta Lu sort of length) and train them, then put it back into freeform work. The problem with any fixed 2-man exchange is you can end up trying to force something to work that just isn't right for your frame. e.g. Im 6'4'' - there are things that dont make sense for me when working with someone who is 5'6'' (like trying to brush knee against a low-line kick). It's a good learning device, but my choice was to discard it in favour of other methods.

11. oldyangtaiji

Chewie - a lot people copied the video from Youtube! I am one of them. :love: My version is a DivX of 44 MB.
    I think that now the video will be aviable in many places on internet! Also P2P (like eMule) programs will have it. If you won't find it I can put it on eMule.
    The video is very HOT and in my opinion the user was forced to remove it from internet. :confused: For now I will have it on my hard disc.

12. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

Very nice OldYang! What the heck, why not throw it back up there on youtube? More than likely it will end back up on youtube anyway. It's only the public teaching form anyway, so I don't know what all the fuss is about really. Fong Ha has been showing video of Sau Chung for a while now during his seminars.

13. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

Sooner than I thought I see......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb1rYHvgVFU[/ame]

14. oldyangtaiji

I agree that there is no reason to hide the video of YSC anymore.
    As I understand the guy that put it on net removed it because was "forced" to remove it (in respect to the person that give him it)! Read more on Emptypower.com about that. I am sure that the video will circulate arond the net.

In my collection now I have historical videos of Yang Sau Chung, Fu Zhong Wen and Dong Ying Jie. I have also videos of Cheng Man Ching, Chang Tung Sheng and Yang Zhen Duo.
    I am still searching videos of Chen Wei Ming, Hsiung Yang Ho, Tian Zhao Lin, Chen Pan Ling! Yes there are aviable videos of their students, but I preffer the "old" masters. Any suggestion where toget any of it?

15. oldyangtaiji

The YSC form is now aviable at: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb1rYHvgVFU"]YouTube[/ame] :rolleyes:
    Hurry and don't lose it again!!! :bang:

16. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

How do you download from you tube?

17. oldyangtaiji

18. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

If you use Firefox/Mozilla go to www.videodownloader.net and install the extension then when you are on YTube you can just click it and it will de-obfuscate the link to the flash video so you can DL it and add the flv extension, it also works for google video and some others. Video Lan Client (VLC) or Riva FLV Player are free stand alone players of flv files.

19. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

No disrespect intended, but that's just bog standard YCF Taiji done at a faster pace (with a slightly more martial intent perhaps....)
    Film quality so poor that anything subtle and interesting is more or less lost too :cry:
    Nice piece of history, I guess, but hardly worthy of all the recent fuss about "secrecy" imho
    :Angel:

20. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

TJB, if you ever saw the film of this man interacting with others training push hands and chin na you might think differently. He was EXTREMELY powerful! (from what I was told, he could grab you with so much force your arm would be black and blue for days, or he could bounce you into a wall ten feet away with the flick of his wrist). You know, the more I watch it, the more I see. It gets better and better with each viewing. BUT, I certainly understand that some may not know that just by viewing this form. You can only judge so much from a form, and a faded video anyway, but I just thought I would shed a little more perspective on the clip.

One of the most amazing things about that video is the man was SEVENTY YEARS OLD when it was filmed!! Seventy is no spring-chicken! I can only imagine what he was like at 45 or 50 (he started at age 8, and practiced/taught until he died at 85).

Anyway, I really think Yang TCC people should study this clip very carefully, because it says alot about movement that others haven't been saying much in today's Yang practitioners. Maybe because I am very familiar with this particular branch, but I can see a tremendous amount of power, structure, and whole-body connection just from viewing this visably-challenged clip. Hopefully, the other stuff of him being filmed will surface someday as well, which is much more impressive, but for the moment this is what is available, and I think it (at the least) hints at the greatness of Yang Cheng Fu's skills and methods. :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006