vests? bungies? speed?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bwhite55, Sep 16, 2007.

1. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

i dunno where to put this, so if its the wrong place, move it please.

so, at rossboxing and alot of other places i've seen, they have bungies and stuff for explosive running and things. i'm looking for this type of speed, as i do alot of sports that require it(racquetball, gonna start tennis, ultimate frisbee, and a couple others) and most of those are short bursts of all out speed. and i've heard that bungies are very effective for this. most of the videos i've seen have a vest that the bungie is attached to. is this a normal weighted vest, or is it a special bungie vest? also, what type of bungies do i need? and people who train for this type of speed in here can help me out. what can i do in general for better speed? don't say sprints, cuz i cannot pull myself to do sprints. i can run a track, but i don't have the willpower for sprints unless its playing a sport.

2. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

Things that will help you inscrease your explosive power and speed include, but are not limited to: Ultimate Burpees holding dumbells/with a weighted vest. Low rep, high weight deadlifts. Squats. Sprints(lol).

On those elastic running things... I think Ross makes those. Not sure what with.

3. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

you had to throw in the sprints. yeah, i do heavy deadlifts, can't do heavy squats cuz of potential back problems. i do em light, and load up the hack squat or leg press for heavies. i also am gonna get some bumper weights to do cleans, highpulls, clean/front squat reps, etc.

4. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

Oh. I forgot Olympic lifts. Cleans, Clean and Press, Snatch. All of those are very good for speed and explosiveness.

Also, if you can't squat so much for explosive power try depth jumps and other things of the sort.

5. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

wat are depth jumps? and i don't do snatch w/ barbell, i do dumbell and kettlebell snatches. they are just safer imo.

6. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

Depth jumps are when you drop off an object just as high as your vertical and then explode up as soon as you hit the ground.

7. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

thx.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Single leg Squats and single leg deadlifts if you have a bad back. Should someone be able to do the single leg execises before they do double leg exercises?

9. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

Maybe only if they are avoiding wieghts and sticking to bodyweight. If that was the case I'd work on pistols.

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

if you dont have the will power to incorperate sprints, and long hard frequent sprints at that, uphill, maybe indian runs, firemans runs. halos, then you'll never amount to much in terms of explosivity. if it was easy everyone would be named wanderli silva.

11. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

i've decided to include HIIT sprints w/ the 10/20 scheme once or twice a week, as well as much biking and elliptical trainer HIIT.