Very disappointed in this fight that has been announced.....

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by aaradia, Mar 29, 2016.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

"Cyborg" Justino vs Leslie Smith at 140 catchweight!

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/03/cyborg-justino-meets-leslie-smith-at-ufc-198-in-brazil

Seriously. I am a Leslie Smith fan, but she is just being fed to Cyborg. Cyborg gets to fight another underweight opponent. Smith is a natural 125er I believe. Cyborg 145. And their records are not evenly matched. Cyborg is 15 - 1 and Smith is 8-6-1.

Cat Zingano said she had an epic fight announcement coming up. Many thought it would be her fighting Cyborg. Zingano has a much better record at 9-1 --only losing to Roussey.

Or Holly Holm maybe?

I just don't get this match up.

That said, I hope Smith pulls off the upset!

Also, Dana White caved and the fight is at catchweight- which makes NO sense. For years he said Cyborg had to get to 135. I defended that as that is the division in the UFC. I defended him when others said he was using that to have Roussey duck Cyborg. And now? It doesn't look good. It makes Roussey look bad. Mind you, I don't think Roussey was ducking Cyborg, but now I wonder if Dana was protecting her from a perceived threat. (Mind you, I think Roussey wins that matchup.)

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think White shot himself in the foot when he permitted McGregor-Diaz at catchweight; I think we're going to see a lot more fantasy match-ups between fighters from different divisions who would probably never meet otherwise.

3. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Agree - catch weight is a crock. Favours the naturally bigger fighter.

Is there enough female MMA talent to create a heavier division at 145 or so?

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

No, there isn't.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

It'll be interesting when other fighters come out of the woodwork to see if they were offered or what excuse they have in not taking the fight.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I dont see why any Bantamweight in the top 10 takes the fight. The division has been cracked wide open, Rousey's vulnerabilities have been laid bare, Tate humbled Holm and all of a sudden everyone is going to be believing that they could be the next champion. Why risk that against a human wrecking ball who doesn't even compete in your division and who has home field advantage?

7. BohemianRapsody

BohemianRapsody Valued Member

I'm not dissapointed Justino is fighting. In fact after all the bad mouthing Dana did earlier in happy to see her get a chance to make better money. I completely agree that it should be Holm or Zingano... Except now that I say that I'd rather see Holm vs Zingano.

Either way I think they're just testing the waters with the fan base to see how much interest she generates anyway.

8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

This is hardly a fantasy match-up though, just the most brutal possible squash for Cyborg's highlight reel.

Also I think McGregor-Diaz worked out pretty well for White, Conor was dangerously close to getting bigger than the company.