Verbal Protection

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

A verbal interaction before most confrontations can be expected. Many you can talk your way out of without a single punch being thrown, thus I personally believe that Verbal Protection should be taught as much as any physical protection.

This might prove to be a little difficult as each situation is different, but...

What phrases have you used effectively to help talk your way out of conflict?

What phrases have got you into conflict when you were trying to get out of it?

If you had to point out some definate do's and don't's, what would they be?

2. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

Someone mentioned this one elsewhere: asking questions is good - it can force the other person to think and then respond.

Maybe the "broken record" could help (if it doesn't infuriate) by repeating a phrase - it can show you mean what you say and ensure you are heard.

A calm voice that doesn't get shrill or aggressive-sounding would help.

Body language to back up what you are saying.

Non blaming words - avoid starting sentences with "You" Take responsibility for what you are saying.

It is easy to make mistakes in the heat of the moment but practising arguments in drama roleplay has helped me diffuse anger from my colleagues, customers, family, friends and strangers in the past.

3. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Some have said that saying "I don't want any trouble" can usually spark a fight. This is very interesting considering this thread.

Any more thoughts?

4. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

Look mate im not looking at your bird, i mean i do have taste

I would get nothing out of fighting you, i would get more out of killing you just give me a exuse to (should scare them)

5. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Are these things you would say or those you suggest avoiding?