Vegetarians

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cheshire Cat, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Lily

Lily Valued Member

New topic for Vegetarians!

What foods do you recommend eating to aid muscle recovery after training hard? The less processed the better.

My body is sore 80% of the time as I train 2 times a day (sometimes 3) 5-6 days a week. Are there any foods that help the recovery process?

2. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

If I am not mistaken, wouldn't it be the same food groups that are recomended for non vegetarians, only from plant sources? So plant based protiens and the like? If you aren't vegan, you would still have access to whey.

3. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Thanks Wry, I just wanted to know specifically what the best few foods might be (not just 'fruits and vegetables' but specifically which ones and why).

I'm not quite a vegan but don't eat cheese, whey, drink milk, no eggs or fish.

4. wrydolphin

Fruits and veggies would probably be great for the sugar and the vitamins and minerals and perhaps any of the higher quality plant based protiens? I am not a fan of soy, but perhaps TVP or bean and/or lentils. Lentils are great because they are cheap and make a large variety of fast and tasty meals.

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

*sigh*

Thanks Wry, I was hoping someone had discovered some wonder food for vegetarians. I've been a vego for about 14 years so I eat a really good range of veg foods but don't get enough protein and am finding it hard to recover from my training. I take 2 supplements which help though.

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Like I mentioned before, have a look at mike mahlers website for samples of his diet, he always gets plenty of protein and is a vegan.

7. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Plenty of protein in soya,tofu, Quorn etc. - plus eggs if you are not vegan. Protein supplements work very well.
    For supplements Myoprotein is whey based and unlike many other '100% whey' products does not contain bovine protein. GNC is a good place to buy.

For vegans Holland and Barrett have a range of Soya Protein Isolate products that are good, if a bit bland, and can be mixed with soya milk instead of dairy milk if preferred.

I usually eat carbs (including fruits) and fats early in the day to fuel training (which I do in the afternoon in the gym) and eat protein and lots of vegetables in the evening. The outcome is a balanced diet which also keeps the weight off and helps training.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  8. exclamationmark

exclamationmark Toaster-core

Quorn also has protien, although i don't have any facts on how it compares to meat :) When I was a kid/lived at home and veggie my mum made me eat fish she was so worried i'd waste away- but quorn and beans/pulses/nuts/cheese etc do me fine these days :) I also love lentil mash..rarrrr!

Just on a side note, I do get a LOT of hassle about being veggie. "Why do you eat meat replacement products if you're veggie?, who do you think you are not eating meat?" If I answer the questions, people then jump on me for trying to force my views on them when they asked in the first place.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

That's pretty high on my list of the most stupid and irritating remarks people make. Why would we not eat meat replacement? IT'S NOT MADE FROM MEAT!!!!! :bang: :woo: :bang: :woo:

10. wrydolphin

Apparently it would be morally wrong to eat meat shaped foods. :p

What ever man, you just hate the soyalopes, poor little soyalopes. :(

11. Moosey

Nah, it's the Quronhogs that I mercilessly slaughter!

12. wrydolphin

Moosey, you are a merciless and cruel vegetarian, and I would take back anything nice I have ever said about you if only I had ever said anything nice.

13. Moosey

:cry: Poor old me!

Here's a peace offering...

[​IMG]

14. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

I'm not vegan, so I typically have a glass of whole milk after a workout.

You SHOULD eat soy/beans/etc after a work out...but if you're like me, then you're very lazy and unmotivated to cook after a hard work out.

The problem with being a vegetarian is that a lot of our protein sources require a bit of preparation...which can be a drag when you're trying to gain wait and need to eat a lot of protein several times a day.

To compensate for this, I buy a big economy box of "BOCA Burgers" and keep them frozen. Five minutes on the stove with some veggie cheese, misc veggies, and a whole wheat bun creates a very quick Veggie Burger.

If you get bored of burgers, you can use the BOCA meat for stir fry, ground "beef" (combine with meatless chile or sloppy joe mix), or any other quick dish that would otherwise require "Beef".

Also, peanut butter and wheat bread are your friend. Buy them, know them, and love them.

15. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

So peanut butter are actually good for protein? I thought it is a source of fat? (That you can make cooking oil from nuts.)

16. wrydolphin

Like many foods, peanuts are a source of more then one nutrient.

17. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

So... how good is peanut butter compared to other food... like egg, whey, vege, etc...

(I am asking this mainly because I brought some and I thought that I am going to get fat.)

18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Peanut butter is good, as long as it's in moderation. Most of the calories in peanut butter are from fat (the average serving is what, 200 calories with like 110 of those from fat?), and an average serving has what 7 grams of protein? I'd rather have a veggie protein shake instead. Fewer calories, less sugar, less fat, more protein, and a lot of amino acids.

19. wrydolphin

I have gotten to the point where the plain ground peanut butter tastes better to me. The other stuff just tastes like candy after a while. There are other nut butters that I haven't really tried yet that might be good as well. While there are better sources of protien with less fat, nuts are a good source of vitamin E. Of course like everything, moderation is your friend.