Varjamushti: (India) "Diamond Fist Boxing"

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Jimmy Jitsu, May 3, 2005.

1. Jimmy Jitsu

Jimmy Jitsu Valued Member

Now for those of you who worry about the safety of modern boxing, think about those poor fools who play "varjamushti" in india. It is basically an ancient form of indian boxing / wrestling where one hand basically has a knuckle duster on it. Now thats hardcore!!!!!

2. Bhattman

Bhattman Valued Member

Why would you want to do that?

3. Jimmy Jitsu

Exactly totally insane

This diamond fist boxing just seems totally insane. However despite the risk of death and serious injury it is still practiced in India although I must say a fight event is very very rare.

4. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Sounds like fun, where do i sign up?

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Man, that's crazy - and alittle dumb if you were to ask me...

6. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Interesting

Shaolin has a "jing gang" fist or "vajra" fist form which translates as diamond fist form.

Do you have a link to the information on the knuckle duster fighting or is it "suggested" that they fight with "diamond fists"?

Not questioning what you say....just interested to see if there is some linkage between the indian and shaolin versions of this fighting method.

Smee

7. Jimmy Jitsu

Google is the answer to all

I'm sure you'll find alll you need to know through google. Historically it has been suggested that the Martial Arts associated to the Far East were originally brought to China from India. The Greeks had a style of boxing that involved the competitors to wear hand gloves with metal studs. Later the Romans also adopted this with some modifications to suit their taste. In fact the Roman version was so brutal the Romans themselves banned boxing, which really is saying something. The Romas banning boxing was the main reason why pugilism / boxing did not resurface in europe until the 16th century. Varjamushti itself as I understand was used as a method of training for the battlefied however the glove was modified for the sport / training version. The battle verion of the glove basically had spikes instead of the metal / animal horn studs. The name diamond fist I believe relates to the shape of the studs on the glove.

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"Vajra Musti" basically means Iron Fist... According to indian folklores... Vajra is a Weapon Lord Indira Uses which was created by a MahaRishi's(sort of enlightend sage) bone.

I don't think I have seen any Vajra Musti's users in India... I m yet to find one... I was kind of intrested in it...
    -TkdWarrior-

9. Jimmy Jitsu

Varjamushi

If my understanding is correct today competitions are very, very rare, due to the fact that you'd have to be nuts to even take part. But I believe if it is to be practiced it is done in the rural northern areas of India.

10. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

My last trip to India (Mumbai) my wife took me to Chor Bazaar (sp?). Bascially, "Robber's Market". One of the "antique" stores there had some unique weapons, the vajra gauntlet being one. The one I saw wasn't a glove so much as an open hand gauntlet with a nasty blade coming from the back of the hand. I would have bought one if I didn't think Saudi Customs would not have confiscated it. I do however have a vajra "thunderbolt" used in Buddhist meditation that was also reportedly used as a weapon by the ninja.

11. Jimmy Jitsu

12. Jimmy Jitsu

OOO man you're kindin' me!!!!

Yeah I could imagine airport security being a tad concerned about those gauntlets.

13. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Wasn't airport security I was worried about. I was working and living in Saudi Arabia at the time and their security is/was a joke. However, their Custom's Officials would confiscate anything they wanted for themselves or anything they didn't know what it was.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting stuff. The link with the old photos of the matches were great.
    Lots of really interesting martial stuff comes out of India. Though it usually never appears on the radar in the west for some reason.

Can't forget the Great Gama - around the turn of the century he travelled to the west and issued open challenges - few showed and those who did got beat. :D

It always makes me wonder how he would have fared in todays world. :confused:

As for the Vajramushti - it's no wonder there aren't people lining up to compete.The knuckledusters is a bit over the top. LOL! :eek:
    The match photos that he has posted remind me of the early Muay Thai matches. Very similar.

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

competitions are there it's called "Dangal Kushti".

on the link the pictures of typical *Dangal kushti*= which is grappling ... it's amazing game to watch... cuz wrestlers are all oiled up properly and then they wrestle... yes they don't use any weapons

the sort of weapons showed there... jeez.. I hav seen some crazy ones ... like the one which looks ike knife but it opens up inside body like a scissor and then cuts thru every thing... brutual...

I know Vajramusti is in Northern Areas and Me belonging to Warrior family(I think I told that millions times on MAP).. I knew a lot about so called rare arts... now the practice of these arts are very rare...

I can vouch for the traditional wrestling... it's amazing.. I m planning to get videos of typical dangal kushti when I'll be going to my home town then... infact I m planning to put huge wrestling site .. no idea when it'll be completed cuz theres so much stuff to write, get videos...

-TkdWarrior-