Variety is the spice of life

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Moi, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

We've all heard this many times but is it something that's just said because you're not settled or is variety really something to be sort after?
    Is it a phrase to be used for all parts of life or just something that you pick & choose?

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I think it is a reasonably accurate metaphor. Much like spice, a little variety can greatly increase enjoyment but a lot can be overwhelming and unpleasant.

Otherwise, you could read it as a commentary on the prescience unlocking properties of melange:

3. Moi

So do you sacrifice comfort for enjoyment or just ignore it at the time?

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I have a life goal to sleep with a woman of every ethnicity. Does that count as spice?

I think its true for everything, at least for me. I get bored really easily, even with something I love like training I''ll hit a point after a few months where I want a week off. Not sure many other people have it to that degree, but isn't a mid life crisis about reaching a point were you don't like the routine you've fallen into because you feel you're missing out on something?

I think humans crave stability overall. Like we like living in the same place or having the same general routine, but we need deviations from it now and again.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'd echo what Southpaw said - and not just the bit about sleeping with different types of women.

Most of us generally prefer quite a bit of stability in our lives, with the ability to regulate the amount of variety we introduce into it on our own terms. As long as we are in control of it, then we feel happy.

When variety is imposed upon us, it can be just as frustrating as when a complete lack of variety is imposed upon us.

Of course, that goes for the majority of us. At the extreme ends of the scale you have neurotic people who either crave total routine or else endless variety and novelty.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Variety makes things unique and not mundane all the time, but we all know what they say about forks and being unique.

(Hopefully I spun that enough to make sense and be relevant. The topic made me think of this picture and I wanted to post it :p)

Attached Files:

7. Moi

Eskimo's too?

8. Southpaw535

I haven't thought this out very well :p

9. Moi

Where you just thinking of black, white & Asian?

10. Southpaw535

No I had indian, latin, western and eastern european on there as well. I didn't put that much thought into it mate, white women are hard enough by themselves. It was a fun chat with a few mates though when we came up with it.

11. Moi

Do you have a tick sheet?

Share :)

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I once knew a lad who had exactly the same ambition. He'd done white, black and Chinese, and he was going for Indian.

Of course, it's not an exact science. Ethnicity is too woolly. It isn't colour, it isn't nationality. I'd bet a lot of money that the only other people on the planet with the exact same ethnic mix as me are my brothers and sisters. And in the case of my son, I'd almost guarentee it.

13. Moi

Very much on topic though Lefty ;)

14. Southpaw535

Nah. Was just something me and a couple of mates who were going away to uni came up with when we were having a drink before they left. Was supposed to be a competition between, ironically, the 4 guys least likely to ever finish it :p But I get a laugh out of thinking about it. A tick sheet wouldn't be a terrible idea though...

15. Moi

He's got that one covered from when he stayed at my house in Wales :)

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

An inter-species tick list, eh? :ban:

17. Southpaw535

Race might of been a better word for what we were aiming for then.

Hey it was an example of where a certain group of people valued variety and the spice of life. You, you dirty old man you, were the one who asked for further details :hat:

18. Moi

The topic has drifted right on course to what I was asking in a round a bout way. Not so much the ethnic diversity but the amount of different partners.

19. Moi

So is variety something we think we'd like but not necessarily the right thing?
    Stability seems to be the key

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I like stable variety. :) I like a regular routine, but within that routine I like to be doing different things.