Van Zandt's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Van Zandt, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fight Camp: Week 1, Day 2

Muesli with raisins, blueberries and skim milk, 2 slices wholemeal toast with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast. Had a rough night's sleep waking up every few hours with hunger pains. It was carbageddon when I got up, devouring every delicious morsel of glycogen goodness in sight. Nom nom nom.

Workout A (8.30 - 9.30am)
    • Mobilisation exercises (10 min)
    • Power clean x 5 (50 kg)
    • Barbell jump squat x 5 (40 kg)
    • Clap pull-up x 6 (no weight)
    • Clap push-up x 10 (no weight)
    • Sit-up with med ball throw (2 min)
    Performed as full circuit
    No rest between exercises
    2 min rest between circuits
    Repeat circuit 4 times
    • Total body stretches (10 min)

Smoothie (strawberry whey protein, low-fat yoghurt, mango, melon and banana) for post-workout. Did this workout early in my home gym so I could catch a lunchtime showing of 47 Ronin. Amazing film. I'll post a review in the movie thread in a bit. Ate grilled chicken, sweet potato and broccoli for lunch before heading to the team gym.

Workout B (3 - 4.30pm)
    • Jump rope at 120rpm (5 x 3 min)
    (Moved on to padwork with Coach)
    • Side kicks on belly pad (3 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • Roundhouse kicks on Thai pads (3 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • Axe kicks on Thai pads (3 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • Jumping back kicks on Thai pads (3 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • Spinning hook kicks on Thai pads (3 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • Straight knees on belly pad (3 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • Jump spinning hook kicks on Thai pads (3 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • Kicks of choice on belly/Thai pads (3 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • Rest (1 min)
    • "Surprise circuit" (thanks, Coach):
    - Clinch & knee heavy bag (1 min)
    - Fast roundhouse kicks on Thai pads (1 min)
    - Jump rope double-unders (1 min)
    - No rest between exercises
    - 30 sec rest between circuits
    - Repeat circuit 3 times
    • Relaxed side and front splits (5 min)

Salmon, mashed potatoes and sprouts for post-workout. Thank god the team gym has a decent kitchen. Slept on the mats from 6 - 7pm. Definitely need more power naps through the day. Home-made protein bar (vanilla whey protein powder, flaked coconut, skim milk and melted dark chocolate) for pre-workout.

Workout C (7.30 - 9pm)
    • Jump rope at 120rpm (5 min)
    • Hands-only sparring (15 min)
    • Legs-only sparring (15 min)
    • Clinch-only sparring (15 min)
    • Full sparring (15 min)
    New sparring partner every 2 min

2 hard-boiled eggs for post-workout. Nice big portion of lasagne when I got home. Need to maintain a karate mentality to stop me getting tagged with leg kicks in sparring. My side-on stance leaves me susceptible to them and I can't afford to take too many in my fight due to my reliance on mobility and the fact I only kick with my forward (right) leg. For some reason, thinking about the phrase "K1 rules" makes me be more rooted in my stance like a Thai kickboxer. This makes me slow. I'm also rubbish at the clinch and found myself getting tangled up and eating knees. Coach gave me good verbal cues that saw me staying up on the balls of my feet, using lots of lateral footwork and head movement, fending off the clinch and keeping my opponent on the back foot by peppering him with two or three head kicks at a time (my natural fighting style). I'm training to defend the clinch, not fight there. :)

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yeah, your log is pretty fascinating. I had thought about trying to train the way you are now, but I wasn't sure if it was just some "fad" idea or if it actually worked.

I'm being a numb-nuts, but presumably the jump squat is...start from a squat position, jump, land in squat position?

Also, what are clap pull-ups?

...Aaaannnd pinched. Cheers dude :)

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

How long do you leave it between eating and training? I can't train for at least 3 hours after a meal because I get indigestion and want to throw up!

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

3-a-days are really only for the "big" comps like Euros and worlds. But this is my first time fighting competitively in over a year (injuries, coaching obligations, etc) so I need a good prep. Normally we only do 2-a-days during pre-season. I wouldn't train like this if it wasn't my full-time job.

Yep, jump squats are exactly that. A clap pull-up is where you pull yourself to the bar with an explosive jump, enough to give you sufficient clearance to clap your hands together before you have to grip the bar again. YouTube probably has some good demos.

Usually 1.5-2 hours for big eats. But I try not to munch "big" in one sitting at all, even on my off days, because it makes me fall asleep. :D But I'm good to go 30-45 minutes after my pre-workout meals.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fight Camp (Week 1, Day 3)

Ham and veggie omelette for breakfast.

Workout A (8.30 - 10.30am)
    • Shadow boxing (5 x 3 min)
    • Boxing mitt work with Coach (5 x 3 min)
    • Boxing sparring (5 x 3 min)
    • Punching the heavy bag (5 x 3 min)
    (All rest = 1 min between rounds)

Strawberry whey protein 'shake and a small bowl of nuts and dried fruit for post workout. Slept from 11.30 - 1.30. Chicken caesar salad for lunch.

Workout B (3 - 3.30pm)
    Swimming at a moderate pace in the neighbouring pool facility.

Grilled chicken, steamed veg and some brown rice when I got back to the gym. Ever noticed swimming makes you super tired? Slept on the mats from 5 - 6.30pm. Needed a strong black coffee before my next workout.

Workout C (7 - 8.30pm)
    • Agility ladder drills (15 min)
    • Kicks only sparring (45 min)

Peanut butter sandwich with two great big dirty pieces of WHITE bread for post workout! :D Ate chilli con carne when I got home. Need to up my hours of sleep at night. Just so hard to wake up in the morning. I use three alarm clocks! Currently getting a solid 7-8 hours each night (apart from the first night) plus about 3 hours in power naps at various intervals throughout the day. See how upping my nightly allowance to 9-10 hours goes before I consider eating more.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

When you log in something like "• Kicks only sparring (45 min)" is that a continuous format where you're pretty much active for 45 min. or is it kind of an informal "work on kicks in sparring" type of 45 min. where discussion/unintentional breaks occur?

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Your putting in some serious intensity/time ratios here, from what I see... Your X away from D-Day, IIRC - Feb?

Are you reaching a peak after which you will gradually taper or do you do full-throttle and break when needs be?

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's a bit of both. We're active for 45 min. but at an easy pace (we grab a drink or sit out for a breather whenever we want) and discussion is definitely promoted. The point of it isn't to try and kick ass for a long time but try and find holes in each others' games and give suggestions to the other person. The harder sessions are broken into specific rounds i.e. "roundhouse kicks on the Thai pads (5 x 3 min)." Those are go-go-go. They're murder!

D-Day is 23 Feb.

You got it right, the intensity will taper off the last couple weeks when activity reduces and rest increases. The format also changes from lots of conditioning work to light, technical sparring. Week 4 is also a deload week where we reduce the intensity (but maintain activity) to give our bodies a chance to rest. Plus we get a full rest day each week and an "easy" work day (yesterday was mine lol).

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fight Camp (Week 1, Day 4)

Oatmeal with added whey protein powder followed by scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Workout A (8 - 9am)
    • Clap pull-up x 6 (no weight)
    • Clap push-up x 10 (no weight)
    • Sit-up with med ball throw (2 min)
    (Performed as full circuit)
    (No rest between exercises)
    (2 min rest between circuits)
    Repeat circuit 4 times

Home-made banana milkshake (bananas, low-fat vanilla ice cream and vanilla whey powder) for post-workout. Slept on the mats from 10 - 11.30am. Hard-boiled egg, bowl of muesli with skim milk and a black coffee for pre-workout.

Workout B (1 - 3.30pm)
    • Shadow boxing (5 x 3 min)
    • Boxing mitt work with Coach (5 x 3 min)
    • Boxing on the heavy bag (5 x 3 min)
    • Shadow kicking (5 x 3 min)
    • Kicking pad work with Coach (5 x 3 min)
    (All rest = 1 min)

Large bowl of nuts and dried fruit for post-workout. Showered then ate grilled beef steak (George Foreman Grill for the win!), steamed mixed veg (green beans, sweetcorn and carrots) and boiled wholegrain rice before sleeping on the mats from 5 - 7pm. Banana and black coffee for pre-workout.

Workout C (8 - 9pm)
    • Kicks only sparring (30 min)
    (New partner every 2 min)

Strawberry jam on a slice of white toast for post-workout. Ate my wife's delicious lamb rendang with steamed mixed veg (spinach, broccoli and peppers) when I got home.

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You're incorporating more "no-rest" circuits [workout A]. I take it this is by design. You're going to be adding more of those to a peak and then drop down to 'normal' rest periods, I take it?

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Mmm, lamb rendang...

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fight Camp (Week 1, Day 5)

Was told by Coach yesterday that I needed to carb up at breakfast. Ate a bowl of muesli with skim milk, two slices of toast (wholegrain bread), an apple and a boiled egg. This morning's workout was done on a running track near the gym.

Workout A (9 - 9.45am)
    • Easy walk/jog (10 min)
    • Circuit:
    - Run 1 lap (400m) with 20 kg sandbag
    - Run 1 lap (400m) without sandbag
    - Burpee x 10
    - Sandbag clean and press x 10
    (Perform circuit 3 times)
    (No rest between circuits)
    (No time limit to finish)

Happy that I kept a 10 min/mile pace during all running phases. Wasn't fast but consistent and the point of this workout was to develop mental endurance. Ate lamb rendang with steamed veg (sweetcorn, garden peas, cauliflower and broccoli) and boiled rice after showering. Slept from 10.30 - 1pm. Banana and black coffee for pre-workout. Did our second workout in the neighbouring swimming pool.

Workout B (2.30 - 3.30pm)
    • Gentle swim (20 min)
    • Circuit:
    - Swim 100m (4 x 25m) front crawl
    - Climb out and do 30 push-ups
    - Swim 100m (4 x 25m) front crawl
    - Climb out and do 50 crunches
    - Rest 1 minute
    (Perform circuit 5 times)
    • Gentle swim (10 min)

Fruit salad (kiwi and red apple slices with blueberries, blackberries and strawberries) and home-made protein bars (Rice Krispies, peanut butter, whey powder, maple syrup and chocolate chips) for post-workout. More lamb rendang, veg and rice for lunch after showering. Felt like I had zero energy in the afternoon so ended up skipping my evening boxing workout. Just did isometric side and front splits instead. :(

Big helping of white chocolate and strawberry jam sponge cake with a pint of protein-fortified chocolate milk perked me up late in the evening. Hey, I'm only human. Will make up for my missed workout tomorrow.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yep.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fight Camp (Week 1, Day 6)

Scrambled eggs, brown toast and a glass of skim milk for breakfast. I take a variety of vitamins here (A-Z multivit, Omega 3, etc) but listing them every time isn't worth it. First session was to make up for the training missed last night. Had a great night's sleep so felt good

Workout A (8.30 - 10.15am)
    • Mobilisation exercises (10 min.)
    • Shadow boxing (5 x 3 min.)
    • Boxing pad work with Coach (5 x 3 min)
    • Boxing sparring (5 x 3 min.)
    • Boxing on heavy bag (5 x 3 min.)
    (All rest = 1 min.)
    (New partner every round of sparring)
    • Total body stretches (10 min.)

Home-made flapjacks (oats, butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, dried cherries and chocolate chips) and a glass of orange juice for post-workout. Did not sleep before the next session as not enough time to get quality rest. It was going to be a relatively 'easy' workout anyway, so just lay on the mats with my eyes closed listening to my iPod.

Workout B (11 - 12pm)
    • Drilling clinch escapes (15 min.)
    • Drilling knee defence in the clinch (15 min.)
    • Light clinch-only sparring (20 min.)

Showered then ate my wife's home-made Indonesian chicken curry with boiled rice and steamed veg (broccoli, carrots and sweetcorn) for lunch. Slept from 1 - 3pm. Banana for pre-workout.

Workout C (3.30 - 4.40pm)
    • Jump rope at 120rpm (5 min.)
    • Shadow kicking (5 x 3 min.)
    • Kicking pad work with Coach (5 x 3 min.)
    (All rest = 1 min.)

More curry, rice and veg. God I adore my wife's cooking! Slept from 5.30 - 7.30pm. Home-made flapjacks (see above) for pre-workout.

Workout D (8 - 9.45pm)
    • Light boxing sparring (20 min.)
    • Light clinch sparring (20 min.)
    • Light kicking sparring (20 min.)
    • Light full sparring (20 min.)
    (New partner every 2 min.)

Egg and cress sandwich on white bread and glass of apple juice for post-workout. Grilled beef, slices of mature cheddar and a pint of skim milk when I got home for sustained protein release while I sleep. Rest day tomorrow. Thank God! :D

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fight Camp (Week 1, Day 7)

REST DAY

Stayed in bed until lunchtime. Got up and stepped on the scales: 71.3 kg. Weight cut is on track. Went for an hour-long walk around a reservoir near my house. Made a sausage butty (white bread roll) with fried onions and ketchup for breakfast.

Went to a friend's house in the afternoon and he gave me an intro to Kendo. Learned basic stances, footwork and cutting actions. Probably do this as an informal thing regularly. Went to the grocery store (Asda) and saw people fighting over the last few bottles of a brand of vodka. Sad. Ate some Indonesian style noodles followed by peaches in apricot yoghurt for lunch.

Spent the afternoon on 'Skyrim' and MAP. Skyped a few friends. Just took time to catch up with everything I've missed this last week. Grilled chicken, boiled rice and steamed veg (broccoli and sweetcorn) for dinner. And of course a nice big piece of sponge cake. :D

Probably going to miss seeing in New Year. Got to be up early for yet another 3-a-day when camp resumes tomorrow. Happy New Year everyone. :)

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fight Camp (Week 2, Day 1)

Bowl of muesli and an omelette for breakfast.

Workout A - Boxing (1 hr. 40 min.)
    • Jump rope at 120rpm (5 x 3 min.)
    • Boxing mitt work with Coach (5 x 3 min.)
    • Punching the heavy bag (5 x 3 min.)
    (All rest = 1 min.)
    • Upper body stretches (5 min.)

Smoothie (strawberry whey powder, low-fat yoghurt, frozen fruit) and small dish of mixed nuts for post-workout. Watched a DVD during my downtime. Turkey and lettuce wrap for pre-workout.

Workout B - Clinching (1 hr.)
    • Clinch 'grip fighting' (10 min.)
    • Clinch sparring (30 min.)

Hard-boiled egg, mixed leaf salad and glass of orange juice for post-workout. Slept for a few hours, played 'Tekken Tag Tournament 2' with my teammates (we have an Xbox 360 in the gym) and ate a bowl of muesli topped with sliced banana for pre-workout.

Workout C - Kicking (2 hr.)
    • Kicking sparring (5 x 3 min.)
    • K1 rules sparring (5 x 3 min.)
    (All rest = 1 min.)

Protein-fortified chocolate milk for post-workout. When I got home, ate my wife's crispy chicken in Peking sauce with boiled rice and steamed veg.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yesterday.

Fight Camp (Week 2, Day 2)

2 hard-boiled eggs with steamed broccoli for breakfast.

Workout A - Boxing (1 hr. 55 min.)
    • Boxing sparring (5 x 3 min.)
    (All rest = 1 min.)
    • Relaxed stretches (5 min.)

'Power juice' (spinach, pineapple, ginger and apple blended with orange juice) for post-workout. Slept 2 hours then ate a banana with a black coffee for pre-workout.

Workout B - Power (1 hr. 15 min.)
    • Muscle-up x 3 (no weight)
    • Med ball slam x 10 (6 kg med ball)
    • Plank (1 min.)
    (Performed as a full circuit i.e. one exercise after the other)
    (No rest between exercises)
    (2 min. rest between circuits)
    • Repeat circuit 4 times
    • Relaxed stretches (10 min.)

Grilled chicken, brown rice and steamed cauliflower for post-workout. Slept 1.5 hours. Bowl of muesli with skim milk for pre-workout.

Workout C - K1 Sparring (1 hr. 50 min.)
    • Agility ladder drills (10 min.)
    • Boxing sparring (20 min.)
    • Clinch sparring (20 min.)
    • Kicking sparring (20 min.)
    • K1 rules sparring (20 min.)
    (Light contact, new partner every 2 min.)

Small bowl of nuts and dried fruit washed down with banana milkshake (vanilla whey powder, 2 bananas and 1 litre of skim milk) for post-workout. Grilled chicken, brown rice and steamed cabbage when I got home.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fight Camp (Week 2, Day 3)

Scrambled eggs, low-fat yoghurt and a bowl of blueberries for breakfast.

Workout A - Kicking (1 hr. 40 min.)
    • Kicking sparring (5 x 3 min.)
    (All rest = 1 min.)

Home-made protein bars for post-workout. Slept for 3 hours. Fruit salad (kiwi, blueberries, strawberries and apples) for pre-workout.

Workout B - 'Swim PT' (50 min.)
    • Gentle swim to warm-up (20 min.)
    • Continuous front crawl (3 min.)
    • Get out, do continuous push-ups (1 min.)
    • Continuous back stroke (3 min.)
    • Get out, do continuous air squats (1 min.)
    • Continuous breast stroke (fast) (3 min.)
    • Get out, do continuous mountain climbers (1 min.)
    • Continuous stroke of choice (3 min.)
    • Get out, do continuous leg raises (1 min.)
    • Continuous stroke of choice (3 min.)
    • Get out, do continuous push-ups (1 min.)
    • Gentle swim to cool-down (10 min.)

Pre-prepared tuna and sweetcorn pasta for post-workout. Slept for 2 hours. Some leftover grilled chicken slices washed down with orange juice for pre-workout.

Workout C - K1 Sparring (55 min.)
    • K1 rules sparring (30 min.)
    (Medium contact, new partner every 3 min.)

Ate my wife's vermicelli noodles with a big heap of brown rice and mixed steamed vegetables when I got home.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fight Camp (Week 2, Day 4)

Bowl of muesli with skim milk, an omelette and an apple for breakfast.

Workout A - Karate (2 hr. 20 min.)
    (All rest = 1 min.)

Protein-fortified chocolate milk and a banana for post-workout. Grilled beef, brown rice and steamed broccoli for lunch.

Skipped second planned workout for a piano lesson in the afternoon. Banana and a black coffee for pre-workout.

Workout B - Sparring (1 hr. 10 min.)
    • Karate sparring (45 min.)
    (Light contact, new partner every 3 min.)

Home-made protein bar for post-workout. Got treated to fish and chips in gravy when I got home. :p

20. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I probably already know what you might say on this one, but if you were unable to skip because of the pain it caused you (say you had old injuries in your ankles), what would you do for a warm up in those times you skip instead?