Validation and Alive Training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Levo, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

[not online much right now so apologies in advance if I'm slow in replying]

I saw Karl Tanswell last week and he had some interesting things to say regarding validation of your training. I've been thinking about it quite a bit and just wanted to sound it out to you guys to see what you think.

Basically, there are two sources of validation:

a) "Others" (external)
    b) "Self" (internal)

IMO validation from others is inherently of little worth. Certificates, belts etc are nice but they don't really mean anything, I could tell you you're a 5th dan and give you a belt but it doesn't really mean anything. Of course, you could argue that validation from a particular individual is valid but they are still human and subject to favouritism, deception, mistakes etc etc.

In contrast, validation from "self" is far more important and useful.

Obviously, people can be wrong about themselves, so that is where "alive" (energy + motion + timing) training comes in. When you train alive you KNOW when something is working or not. You KNOW if you're not landing your jab, you KNOW if you're stopping takedowns, you KNOW when you're getting your Guard passed.

When you train alive you don't need external validation of what you are doing coz you know inside what is working. Alive training keeps you honest.

This is why external validation has much more emphasis in arts that use dead training. Many "Traditional" Martial Arts require students on a grading to do stuff like performing moves up and down the hall (dead), kata/forms (dead), breaking (dead) and pre-set sparring (dead). As such, you don't KNOW you're doing it "right" so need someone else to tell you you're doing it correct. If it was alive you would know yourself.

We all need motivation and guidance but for honest self validation of your training you need to train alive.

I hope that makes sense, what do you think?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

"IMO validation from others is inherently of little worth."

I think that this is a little oversimplistic. I do agree with your general idea to some extent but it simply doesn't match up with how we really go about things.

Think of a MD, would you go to someone without one for an operation, someone with one from a mail order degree university, or someone with one from a credible University?

Would you go to someone you'd never heard of, in any professional field, or someone who was well known and highly thought of by others? (external validation)

Given two choices of schools and knowing nothing about the individuals first hand, would you go to one with a 2nd black TKD instructor, a 2nd Black BJJ instructor, or a SBG Coach?

External validation is of a very significant worth. It can come in many different forms, not neccessarily belts and titles, but it is of great value to those involved. Even yourself, you use testimonials in advertising your tapes, if external validation was of no value why bother?

So from a personal training perspective it may have little intrinsic worth, from a professional stand point it is VERY important. But it can come in many forms.

Even from a personal perspective it does have some value, remember getting stickers or stars or other things of no real value in school? But they did have value, they gave you a confidence boast, made you feel good, and helped motivate you. There worth may have only been illusionary in some sense, but maybe thats enough to make it "worth it" for some people.

The simple truth is that many people "want" to have their accomplishments recognized and appreciated by others, expecially those in a position of authority. Now perhaps it should be part of the schools goals to get rid of that sort of desire, but it will be there in the beginning regardless.

Now external recognition, such as with the belt system, dfinately has down sides. But it does have upsides as well. The question is which side outways the other. That likely also depends on how and why it is used, not simply whether or not it is or is not used.