Vale Tudo?

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Lucharaan, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

So in a way we could claim bjj as being English / Japanese

2. Esgrimador

Esgrimador New Member

Well, if we're listing the component arts in order of depth of influence, than it would probably be more accurate to claim BJJ as being Japanese/English. ;)

But, in any case, there's a definite catch influence there.

Here's a link to the pic of Maeda doing catch:

http://www.sisumartialarts.ca/img/maeda2.gif

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I like the pick, shame it's not bigger.
    As we see the European influences the MA again, but then again we have over the years picked a fight with just about everybody.

Regards

Pat

4. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I was just going with the refs I've got. Those few mentioned Pell training, what seems to be partner drills, and a chop-chop-stab-shieldbatter-step (iirc) drill. My interests in Rome lay more in the Armour, to be honest.

OK, so you've got some better refs. Thanks. I'll happily add it to my understanding.

I'm not planning on arguing it. No need to get ****y.

-Kirk

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  5. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Oh, I still hang at RMA. Just expanding my horizons a little bit.

Honest truth, I've had this (and several other) forums on my list for a while and am just now gett'n round to 'em.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Esgrimador

Esgrimador New Member

Kirk,

Just out of curiousity, what are your sources?

Happy to be of service, bro.

FWIW, it's also known that legionary recruits actually engaged in some sort of free-sparring with those leather-covered swords. Vegetius does not mention this, but other period sources do, as indicated by N.P. Miller in the Liverpool University Press edition of the Epitoma.

Kirk, I don't think that I posted anything "****y", but if I came across as such, I apologize.

Peace,

E

7. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Socked away in my library. One of them, I think, might have been Arms and Armor of Imperial Rome. There are a few others scattered here and there. Like I said, it wasn't my primary interest so it's just something I filed away in the brain as "interesting but not important enough to catalog" ...if that makes any sense. I'm not really, personally, interested in trying to re-create or personally learn "ancient roman martial arts of the legions!" ya know?

Well, OK. Fair enough. I'll take you at your word. It was just the way the last sentense came across. Since the same thing has happened to me in the past (not so distant past, in fact), I believe you.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk