Vacation/ Holiday tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Latikos, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Hey everyone!

After whining for months now that I need vacation, I decided to... well, maybe not actually take a vacation, but be more serious into considering it.
    After all, there are still some barriers (mind- and headwise) that I have to take into consideration.
    But, and that's the important thing, I'm more into seriously considering to give it a try, than I was months before.
    And more stressed, but that's a besides ;)

Following the MAP Meet I actually did recognize, that I might be more in need for some vacation, than I thought.
    Don't get me wrong: I totally enjoyed the Meet!
    And that's the reason why I realized, that I really might need some vacation.
    Seeing and doing something else, compared to what I do all the time, was an awesome change; I guess it usually is for most, but I'm a lot of the kind, that dislikes changes - but this time, they were great.
    I made a lot of new experiences in these few days; some of them I never thought possible.

Anyway, now to get to the point:
    Who he has some ideas, where you can go to a vacation, that - and here's the big problem, I know! - that doesn't cost too much?
    I live from social welfare, so even with saving up, it takes ages to put some money aside.
    Nope, I'm not complaining about that! I am fully aware of the luck, to be damalged like I am, and still getting money to live a normal life, without having to work. It's pure luxus and I'm lucky to have it!
    But therefore I need to find a way, to travel as cheap as possible.
    Obviously not for free!
    I'm a bit of a cheap ...person, I know ;) ,but I'm also aware that I would have to spend some money.

I'd love to train once in a while during that time, but I guess I'll live on as well, if I couldn't manage that.

With the upcoming summer school holidays I wouldn't even miss too much of my own training, which would also be a plus, therefore I'm thinking about some time when those holidays are (17.07. - 29.08. in my area).

Preferably it would be in the UK/ GB and the like, because I at least can communicate there a bit, which should make things a bit easier for me (I hope anyway; at least understanding signs should be good, considering how much I talk to people...).

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well the great thing about Europe is a train ride can take you pretty much anywhere! Comparitively the UK is pretty boring. Personally I'd got for the South of France or Spain, where everything is cheaper! :D

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

staying at hostels is a great way to neet people and save money!

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

#meetpeople

5. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

This may not be for you, but I can have reasonable vacations at home.
    Do a bunch of activities you enjoy but don't have time for when working. (Lots more time walking around my neighborhood & nearby areas for me, for instance.)
    Explore parts of the city/cities near you that you haven't explored before.
    Go relax in a public park and strike up conversations with people. You can meet all sorts of interesting people doing that.
    Ride your bike around somewhere you've never been. Go on a multi-day bike trip.

Etc.

That said, of course I also enjoy vacations elsewhere, but in terms of cost, you can't really beat a stay-cation.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Spain, France, Italy are nice (I was there as a kid; the parts where I were at least were nice), but aside from "Hello" in the language I have hardly any clue ot it.

"Save money" sounds great; "meet people" not so much.
    That's one of the issues, why I'm only considering to go on vacation, and not having more serious plans already.
    Social phobia, autistic traits, tics, OCD and the like are not making things any easier ;)

I can totally see, how that works for "more normal" people.
    But when I am at home, I will go through my everyday routines (which admittedly aren't many) and won't ever do something else.
    It's somehow not how I work, unfortunately.

See my answer to Dead_pool :rolleyes:
    That's something I absolutely can't do. With strangers I am glad, if I can give short answers to direct questions.

For some reason, and I don't get that at all and it makes absolutely no sense, that's a bit easier, when being abroad.
    I mean - I still can't talk to strangers, and I'm still glad, when I can give an answer, but I also can order something to eat (well, sometimes anyway; on a good day...) or can ask questions, if there is need for it (like in stores... on a good day...).

That's true for sure.
    And the reason I wasn't at a vacation for at least around a decade :D