USSD vs VILLARIS

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by flyingleopard, Aug 14, 2005.

1. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

My Shaolin Kempo Karate School also teaches MMA and BJJ

My Shaolin Kempo Karate School teaches us BJJ and Counters to them, as well as MMA and " Practical" street situations, even during kumite sparring.
    I went to USSD and yes, they do teach traditionally, but as you go up in ranks( about second degree on up, as a former instructor friend of mine has told us ) the work outs are alot more intense.
    As far as " other " schools teaching just " Tradition" well, maybe that's all they just want to teach.
    Jeff Speakman has his own kempo tapes called " Kempo 5.0"
    And it looks interesting.
    He says that you have to evolve and teach what is in your time and future, so your art doesn't die out.
    I for one, must agree.
    Anyways, check it out so you can see for yourself, and shoot me an email when ya get a chance!

2. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

So what you are saying is that your KEMPO school teaches BJJ?

3. shaolinmonkmark

: o )

that is what i am saying, they teach traditional japanese jujitsu, and BJJ, as well as ground and pound.

4. Nuck Chorris

May I ask what the qualifications of the person teaching those discplines might be?

5. shaolinmonkmark

from black belts in BJJ

Nucks, they are themselves first degree black belts in BJJ, and second degree in japanese jujitsu and judo.
    As for muay thai, he has over 31 years hes been practicing it, and as for shaolin kempo, hes been practicing it for over 25.
    Any other questions?
    Thanks

6. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Um, can I ask where this USSD was that he went to that the workouts got tougher at 2nd degree and up? I do agree with how you say the art must evolve and grow or the art will die. What school are you at now? Got a website? I'm interested to see...

7. shaolinmonkmark

north county self defense

north county self defense

8. Gufbal1981

Got a website? I'd like to see it :)

9. Nuck Chorris

I am curious as well. What is the instructor's name and who is he a BB under in BJJ?

Thanks

10. James Funaro

James Funaro Formerly "joe nobody"

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

That would be a great school to attend in my humble opinion. They do some outstanding stuff if what they say they teach is true, and I am sure it is.
    Shailonmonkmark mentioning it...

If it was me I'd look into some Sambo rather than the BJJ but that is just me.
    They are both great but Sambo is very complete and from what I have seen Sambo is the way to go.

I think with the other arts at this school though you would get a well rounded education of how to fight... :)

Edit:
    The website does mention many things other than fighting, (I should say defending ones self). The terms are very similar but the mental aspect is quite different, if you believe in the avoidance and evading techs of the true meaning of what "Kosho Kempo" is all about.

In my line of work in the past it was for protecting others that you are involved in it big time, and sometimes rather than avoid, you have to be an aggressor, but that is only because you are placed in that position because the person has already commited the foul. :woo:

Gary

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  12. shaolinmonkmark

Thanks BGILE

Glad that you researched it.
    We used to be with USSD ALOOOONNNNGGGG Time ago, but ,
    Things change, i am sure alot of people would understand.
    Thanks for taking the time to look at it, any questions, PM me.

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi, thanks for giving me the heads up and contacting me.

I can see by your web site you are truly into helping with the mental aspect of what self defense is all about and the fact is with out confidence we all are going to fail no matter how good you are at something.

If stress enters the picture and you are unable to handle it, you are going to do something wrong. This is where I see your school coming from, this just by the brief reading I have done at your website. No mater what you want to call it I call it "Kosho" it is all the same, believe me. The inner strength is the factor and I don't mean moving things without touching :D

I'll Pm you and ask a few questions, just so I don't stray :confused: if I am headed that way.

Regards, :)
    Gary

14. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

So the link Joe posted WAS the school?

15. Gufbal1981

Yes sir!

16. KempoFist

Christ....

:rolleyes:

17. karate-dragon

karate-dragon Valued Member

I have studied Shaolin Kempo for 15 years under an instuctor who studied under Villari in the 70's in New England. It is a good style in that it encompasses a lot of different techniques for multiple situations; and it actually teaches self defense as opposed to just regurgitating katas where you don't understand the moves. The point is there are good and bad instructors as in all professions. It takes time and luck to find the good. What I don't understand are the schools who supposedly are "under" a real master, who then promotes unqualified and unprincipled people, give them "honorary" degrees, so that they fulfill a requiorement that they have to be a certain dan level in order to run a school. Opinions?

18. KempoFist

I have plenty, but I think I beat the horse a long time ago.

19. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Unfortunatly what we have in many of the systems is just a situation where many are paying to fill someones pocket book. They see that person in a way of life that they would like, (at sometime down the road) but you are going to get the "Peter Principal".

Because someone is good at one thing does not mean they are qualified.

Take George Armstrong Custer for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Armstrong_Custer

;)

20. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

That seems so ... generic.

I find that there are many Shaolin Kempo folks that don't know what the moves in their forms are for. In fact, I'd say most. Have you ever used the phrase 'it's a guard' describing any part of two kata? How about three kata?

In the late 70's and early 80's a whole lot of folks came into SKK, and a whole lot of material was added to give the upper ranks something to do. There weren't enough qualified instructors to accomodate the growth rate coming in, and decisions were made to 'fill the gap'. Those people had students who became teachers. The people in power chose growth over quality, and have been paying the price in reputation ever since.

Matt