Using Judo on Wing Chun-ists?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Panzerhaust, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Because they are experts on boxing having watched:

Rocky
    Rocky 2
    Rocky 3
    Rocky 4
    Rocky 5
    Rocky Balboa

What else could you possibly need to do to understand boxing?

2. forever young

forever young Valued Member

im on my fone so cant quote u but xt18 that last post was full of even more crap, you are talking out of your hat. Please take up ninjering or something

3. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Guys, this thread has some useful debate, but please stop attacking each other. STFU isn't acceptable, and you don't need to resort to name calling either.
    If you haven't anything sensible to add, please don't bother.

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

To enforce that, any further insults / attacks = ban stick time.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

High Gear and similar armour would let you do throat strikes as long as some control was exercised, it includes specific throat armour.

Mitch

6. Nii

Nii Valued Member

Are you sure about this? I recall when I used to go to a boxing gym to be told to keep my chin up/head straight to prevent a rigid target for uppercuts...

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm absolutely sure. I'd love to set up bouts against that gym where you trained if they're teaching you guys to keep the chin up! :p
    If you get caught on the button (that's the chin) then you are going down unless your chin is granite. It's just a simple phsysiomechanical fact. Getting tagged flush in the chin generates a force that travels up your jaw and compounds at your jaw joint - producing enough force that is transmitted to your brain causing it to temporarily shut down.

Better known as a KO. :D

That the reason why we say chin down... eyes up. Basically guys should have a solid guard and looking up through their eyebrows to a certain extent. This is why if you watch pro boxing you'll notice the commentators usually note any time a guy brings his chin up and his head back... because they know he's running a very real risk of being knocked out.

8. wires

wires Valued Member

Boxing's "knockout button" - tucking the chin to protect it and your throat

He's totally right. Chin down to protect not only the throat, but also the chin as well.

The chin is a major target in boxing "the button" is what it's known as..because it serves as a knockout button if you can score directly on it.. That's why boxers keep it tucked - and why you should too.

It has the secondary benefit of protecting the throat.

9. Nii

Nii Valued Member

Righto. I must've mixed it up with another martial art I was learning at the same time =P

10. Topher

Topher allo!

I guess it would be easier for a punch to 'slide off' the chin if it's down - sending it off course. Would I be right in thinking that?

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah pretty much.. you're still going to wear it... but at least it doesn't hit the button that signals the brain to shut off. I find that because of the chin down I end up copping a few on the nose when my guard is crap. It's sort of the first location on the list that the punch travels through.

For some reason I find it quite hard to land on the chin. Temple I cat tap a temple all day long... but a chin buried in a shoulder is a hard thing for me to hit.