Using a Tire to train with... Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by NotaMA, Nov 9, 2012.

1. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

I do that too. Lol.

I guess my problem is that I'm too eager to learn matrial arts and therefore I'm going all out.....

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Which may set you back even further!

It's a marathon, not a sprint!

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

he's probably better off finding a boxing gym or a vet with some boxing experience

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

All the other guys have said it! Working with a tyre like this is something for an experienced martial artist. A novice should start off gently and build up very VERY gradually, under the supervision of a teacher.

I find it difficult to believe that you won't just injure pursuing this course.

Mike

5. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

You all are experienced I know, but you do not quite know my situation nor what I do and do not have available to me right now.

I don't know many people, and none of them have any fighting experience as far as I can fathom, and my equipment is extremely limited and I use what is available.

Seriously guys I have like 3 months to train before my mom supposedly enrolls me in a dojo that's like half an hour away.

3 months to prep, that's it.

That's It. :/

...Sometimes I begin to believe I'll never be able to follow my dream. :/

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Dear god man you don't prep for going to a dojo by training badly and possible damaging yourself!

Spend time on getting yourself fit. Work on your cardio and basic strength!

7. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

But why waste time doing certain things but not other equally important things like toughening your skin and concentrating speed and power into your blows?

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't see a need to toughen the skin. Conditioning comes through time and hitting the pads correctly.

In addition to the above, speed and power come through time. Technique first, speed and power last.

9. Mangosteen

you dont know how to power or speed to put into your blow.
    you dont need to toughen your skin.

you have no speed and power cos you're young.
    strength is of higher importance at this stage

get strong. get strength while you're not busy. it'll be worth it in class

10. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

So what you're saying is, Learn then Refine?

11. Hannibal

Why waste time asking for advice of people more experienced and skilled than you by a mile and then ignore it?

You have your answer - not our problem if it does not feed into your preconceptions

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would say that is what we are all aiming for.

Rome wasn't built in a day and I certainly remember wanting it all in one go.
    Don't worry to much about conditioning the hands. A hand injury is a three month injury and many will tell you they still suffer many years later.

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Because you're ingraining bad habits that may take a very long time to undo.

14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Delete - the OP's mother has it sussed.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is absolute true.

You have to

- "develop" your technique through partner training.
    - "test" your technique through sparring/wrestling.

before you can

- "enhance" your technique through equipment traing (such as tire training).
    - "polish" your technique through solo drills.

Without developing your technique first, there is nothing to test, enhance, and polish.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

The toughening of skin comes over time with hitting pads, the heavy bag and what have you. However you shouldn't be doing this without prior experience, so for now you're best to wait until you join your Dojo and listen to what your Sensei says and recommends.

Concentrating speed and power into your blows comes as a result over time with practicing good technique, which again you will need your Sensei to show you how to do. Don't by all means start teaching yourself, as you'll most likely develop bad habits which will set you back when you start training.

Your goal at this stage should be general fitness which will help you allot when you start training. If you want to use your tire, you will need to get yourself some long hand wraps and a pair of Boxing gloves (16oz). If you can't afford to do so, there are other things you can do instead such as skipping, or jogging, or you could use your tire (if its big enough - a truck or tractor tire) as a trampoline instead, which is a fantastic way to condition the legs. Other things you could do too are Calisthenics (body weight exercises); push-ups, sit-ups, squats, lunges and chin ups.

17. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Thank you all for your advice.

After considering all you have said, I will take your advice because I know that the experienced people like you know what you're doing and I do not.

Though I will tell you that the normal training equipment is not available to me and therefore I must use what I can find.

Kudos.

18. Mangosteen

pick up tire, throw the tire - repeat.
    broad jumps.

it'll get you faster and stronger

19. Hannibal

You had some good advice here - good luck mon ami and keep us posted with your progress!

20. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

So this is a bit random, but you may be able to get equipment, even if you can't afford it. That's how i got my boxing gloves, actually. Because the club I go to has spare helmets and gloves, I only bought the shin pads and chest protector - to save a few bucks b/c equipment can be expensive. Anyway, one day, our chief instructor (the guy who owns the dojo) suggested I try these 12oz gloves (the rest are all 14 and 16). He told me that one of the kickboxers must have left them there, and if they hadn't claimed in the next week or so I could keep them. No one ever claimed them, so he let me take them.

So yeah, keep your ears open. Someone might have a spare pair they'd let you borrow (a friend of mine is actually borrowing my sparring equipment at the moment). Or they might have an old pair they're not using any more. Or some store might have a used pair on sale. You never know :)