Useless trivia

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bencole, Jan 25, 2006.

1. bencole

bencole Valued Member

I found this, especially the first paragraph (which is applicable to the thread on reading between the lines of Hatsumi-sensei's statements), to be incredibly interesting. I'm sure more than one of them is not 100% true, but they could make for good talk over beer--an after-training event where I come from! :D (Anything to tie this stuff to training, I say! :D )

If the mods feel that it is inappropriate to keep this thread, I have no problem with them deleting it.

Ohrwetise ejony!

-ben

-=-=-=

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Tlak aobut the phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid!

-=-=-=

In the 1400's a law was set forth that a man was not allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence we have "the rule of thumb".
    -------------------------------------------
    Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled "Gentlemen Only...Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.
    The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.
    Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury.
    Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.
    Coca-Cola was originally green.
    It is impossible to lick your elbow.
    The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska
    The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% (now get this...) The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%
    The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $6,400
    The average number of people airborne over the US in any hour: 61,000
    Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
    The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer.
    The San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile National Monuments.
    Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:
    Spades - King David

Hearts - Charlemagne

Clubs -Alexander, the Great

Diamonds - Julius Caesar
    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 =
    If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
    Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.
    Q. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what?
    A. Their birthplace
    Q. Most boat owners name their boats. What is the most popular boat name requested?
    A. Obsession
    Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter "A"?
    A. One thousand
    Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers all have in common?
    A. All invented by women.
    ------------------------------------------
    Q. What is the only food that doesn't spoil?
    A. Honey
    Q. Which day are there more collect calls than any other day of the year?
    A. Father's Day
    In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase......... "goodnight, sleep tight."
    It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month ... which we know today as the honeymoon.
    In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts... So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them "Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down." It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's"
    Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the phrase inspired by this practice.

~~~~~~~~~~~AND FINALLY~~~~~~~~~~~~

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow. :D

2. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Wow really enjoyed that!

a few things there i did not know.

'At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow'

I thought about it but did not act on it!

:)

3. llong

llong Valued Member

Good stuff Ben.

4. Big Will

Big Will NinpƓ Ikkan

Wow... you really CAN'T lick your elbow :D

5. comw

comw Valued cynic

Not going to bother i fell for that last time

6. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

but you could lick your big toe but can't quite reach my knee with comfort!

7. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

No but I know a girl who will if you buy her a few pints :D

8. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

hell, i bet Greg would do it for 50p.

9. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

hahaha Ok I admit it..I tried to lick my elbow ! :eek:

10. xen

xen insanity by design

and i always thought the 'p' and 'q' stood for 'peace' and 'quiet' :rolleyes:

thats what i've been telling the little 'un when i need some chill out time :D

11. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Actually the rule of thumb comes from the European longbow measurements. By placing your hand on your head with thumb extended gives you your length for the longbow. Plus it is a measurement from the base of the fist to the bowstring with the thumb extended. This is here the rule of thumb actually comes from. But the thickness of the thumb to best the wife picked up the saying from the 1400 as the original rule dates to the 1300 onwards.

12. Tengu6

Tengu6 Valued Member

You still cant lick your elbow.

Markk Bush
    www.bujinmag.com

13. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

but we could lick each others, if it was a task or life threating if we did'nt after all can't see a good reason to otherwise.

Although if one cut one's tongue out and then wiped one's elbow would that count? although it might seem extreme to do this to prove a point, bit like sleeping with Greg to prove he is an inconsiderant lover whereas i just take Rich's word.

14. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Actually i would say i am most considerate, i give, give, give gggggggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvveeeeeee!!!! :eek:

15. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Well that's good to hear as I've got two for you right here....!!! :D :D

16. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

If this is an example of what you are trying to say, it seems like a perfect example of why you should not believe everything you are sent on the internet.

If honey can't spoil, how the heck can it ferment to the point where it can be used in mead?

Have you checked to see that the first novel written on a typewriter was Tom Sawyer? Or that Coca Cola was origianlly green? Or any of the other facts other than the one about kissing your elbow?

Perhaps this is an example of why soke warns us against the misuse of the internet.

17. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

you imply the sweetest things!

18. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Grim is both right and wrong about honey, honey only spoils if you let it get diluted by water, then it ferments into mead. Raw honey in a sealed air and watertight container may harden but not spoil.

The rule of thumb, wife beating origins, lies propogated by man hating lezzers. If you sart giving credence to them it's only a matter of time before you consider yourself a metrosexual and start carrying a "manbag".
    Myths about origins of term
    It is often claimed that the term originally referred to the maximum size of a stick with which it was permissible for a man to beat his wife. This claim has been debunked, for instance by Christina Hoff Sommers in her book Who Stole Feminism? (1994 ISBN 0684801566). In particular Sommers notes that there is no mention of this in the legal commentaries of William Blackstone.
    source http://www.answers.com/topic/rule-of-thumb

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  19. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Warrior Poet

"Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter "A"?
    A. One Thousand"

What about "one hundred And one"? :D :D

20. bencole

bencole Valued Member

Sources

Did I say I believed everything in the list? :rolleyes: I honestly couldn't care if they were all true. As I stated when I posted the list: "I found this, especially the first paragraph (which is applicable to the thread on reading between the lines of Hatsumi-sensei's statements), to be incredibly interesting. I'm sure more than one of them is not 100% true, but they could make for good talk over beer."

In other words, get drunk and debate away, or try to lick your elbow, or better yet, try to find the girl who CAN lick her elbow! ;)

I certainly DID NOT VERIFY ANYTHING on that list. If you want to, then great! Let us know what's false and what's true. For me, it was a way of killing time and getting the brain churning. Nothing more. Do I know if that research on words was done at Cambridge? Nope. Would it matter if the research was never even done anywhere? Nope. Made for fun reading though.... ;)

It's fun stuff to talk about, jeepers creepers. It's certainly not the same as historical facts on stuff that ACTUALLY MATTER.

Who the hell cares whether or not Coke was originally green?!? It did contain Coca leaves (e.g. cocaine) and was originally sold as a "common man's medicine" for pretty much everything that could ail you back then.... (Source: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp). Please note that this information is SOURCED, because it is an important bit of information.

The non-sourced information I provided was just fun stuff to talk about over beers. Certainly nothing to be puffed about because you can debunk some of it. :rolleyes: I'm sure lots of them could be debunked if we wanted to spend time searching all the urban legend sites. Feel free, if it floats your boat.

If you didn't enjoy it, sorry. I still recommend finding the girl who can like her elbow though.... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

-ben