use of submissions in real fights?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Adam, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Just wondering about the usefulness of submission moves, armlocks, leglocks, chokes etc, in real fights. Have anybody ever used such a technique in a fight and with what effect?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I've used a front guillotine choke after a swift kick to the spuds - it ended the fight pronto.

I know a guy who was getting a kicking against a wall vs 4 or 5 attackers. He caught a foot and rolled into a straight knee bar, snapping the guy's knee - the guy screamed in agony then passed out. The rest kinda lost interest in fighting long enough for him to exit stage left.

I know a guy who has put many people to sleep on the door using a basic rear choke.

I know a small Judoka who has been attacked on the street twice. 1st time he threw the guy with Harai Goshi (Sweeping hip throw) - knocking him out! 2nd time he was sat down when attacked (all fight start standing? Nope!) - he pulled the guy in and snapped his elbow with a basic armbar (Juji-gatame) - apparently this guy also passed out.

Don't forget - "Submission" is a training tool. In application many will go right for the break -THEN discuss your terms for surrender :rolleyes:

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Yeah, I before thought submissions were only for keeping your opponent in place and immobilising him until he's tired [sheesh at me!!!] :rolleyes:

But then I downloaded dead or alive playstation version and there was a dude who did a style called Sambo or something he used to submit his opponents and then - CRACK CRACKLE!!!!!! jerked the limb like hell,it was like he tore the limbs off the body :eek:

Yeah I know it's only a game but the techniques were realastic enough to let me know grappling is no joke :eek:

|Cain|

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

If you foget the word 'Submission' then chokes, armlocks, leglocks etc are an essential part of your scrapping arsenal!

Col

5. Cyph

Cyph Banned Banned

apparently it's pretty common to shoot for the double, take mount, throw punches until they roll over onto their stomach, then take the rear naked...

i also imagine basic armbar from mount would be easy to get - everyone puts hands up like that when they first come in.

6. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Yes, subs can be effective in changing their mind about fighting without much if any vissible phisical damage. If he tries to press charges (after attacking you of course) he wont have any evidence.:p I've done subs in fights. just dont expect to pull anything fancy. (NO PRO WRESTLING!!!!!!)

7. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I use subs all the time. Usually I'm kicking someone out of the bar, and they get brave and take a swing, or grab a mug. Bad for business to headbutt their face into a fine paste, so subs are ideal. Off work, I'm a little more brutal.

Two weeks ago I got into it with a rather large Samoan outside the Bottleneck, and I could not hurt the guy. Don't think I didn't try, though.

I hit him with the hardest right hand I've ever thrown outside the ring, and he bumrushes me and tackles me to the ground. I was taking punches from guard, trying to keep my head from ricocheting off the pavement, and rolled him off me with a kimura. I stood before he could and soccer kicked his head at full power. Tough mother stood right up like it was nothing.

I jumped on him and choked him with a guillotine, and he proceeded to punch me in the legs and groin. I held on tight, worked the choke, and felt his punches get weaker until he stopped fighting. His friends helped him up and I went inside to clean up.

I suppose I will post a pic of my shiner as evidence exhibit A.

8. Cyph

Cyph Banned Banned

nice dude, you came out pretty good! i would hate to think how you would have come out of that without your bjj

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Ouch!!!

Where were the other bouncers, or you one a one-man door?

Col

10. Tyrant MMA

Tyrant MMA New Member

Subs rock.

But I guess you have to watch you don't get punched out while performing them. Going for subs from mount kind of leaves you open to assualt unless you keep your head out of the way long enough.

I wonder what the law is regarding chokes as used in defense. Would they be seen as reasonable force or as an attempt to strangle an attacker. Would it then turn into attempted murder ?

Reasonable force is so unclear at times.

11. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I was off duty when I got in the fight. The bouncers usually don't care as long as it's outside. In this case, they just watched from a distance. They thought I was dead meat once I got taken down. I'm 6'2", 265 pounds, and this guy had to be at least 6'3" 300. I generally prefer to be the bigger guy. :D

12. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Same here, the bigger the better:D

13. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL! Good one 1onefighting :D

Caiin|

14. Pika

Pika New Member

I can't believe it took a video game to convince aomeone of the effectiveness of subs......

15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

LOL!

This is Cain we're talking about there - anything's possible :D

16. Cain

Cain New Member

:D

I just waited for someone to comment :D

|Cain|