Use of a Main Gauche (sp?)

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by TheCount, Apr 17, 2006.

1. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I am very interested in taking up fencing and although the general brutal nature of a sabre appeals to me I would veyr mcuh like to get profient with a foil. This would obviously lead onto a rapier and maybe a reinactment society. However the key thing is, how would I go about learning to use the Main Gauche?

2. Christopher

Christopher New Member

The main gauche is used in conjunction with the rapier. I'd recommend Tom Leoni's book on Fabris (www.chivalrybookshelf.com) although if you are just beginning rapier then I highly recommend Guy Windsor's forthcoming book 'The Duellist's Companion" which should be out later in the year. I have the pleasure of proofreading a manuscript and as a beginner to CapoFerro rapier myself, I have to say that it's an absolutely brilliant book to work from. Guy goes through everything from knee strengthening to foot work to use of the rapier. He covers rapier and dagger towards the end.

If you are beginning in rapier then Tom's most excellent and thorough book might be daunting for you. Guy's book will be better suited.

For rapiers, I use the economy models from Darkwood Armoury. I'm on a budget and, if you don't mind the rough finish, the darkwood economy hilts are excellent. I use the Hanwei blades with them (I have two rapiers) which are a little lighter than they should be but suit my purpose well enough. :) The great thing about rapier is that you can take them apart and upgrade components at will. Buy something to get you by at first and upgrade later. :)