USA trip

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by robertmap, Feb 13, 2016.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I'm in the early stages of planning a USA roadtrip.

I'd be interested to know if there is/are any martial arts sites that list martial arts schools / studios/ kwoons / dojos / dojangs / whatever ... that are happy to receive a visit from a traveller...

Thanks.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Stop by in philly! Can show you my trees! Would be happy to cross hands too

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Thanks.

Philly was part of plan A but we are now on plan G ...

Starting in Minneapolis heading west to Seattle then down the coast to LA then to Sedona then up and across back to Minneapolis - Well sort of but it meanders a bit... and the plan keeps changing as we find interesting things we want to see (Mt. Rushmore, Old Faithful, Crater Lake, etc, etc...)

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:eek: Dude, a trip like that is going to take many weeks. You know that, right? It's about 22 hours driving time from LA to Seattle along the inner route (I-5). It's slower along the coast. It's 6.5 hours from LA to Phoenix on the best day. Sedona to Minneapolis is probably 17 hours.

Anyway, the only dojo I know of that can house a visitor inside the dojo itself is Sunset Cliffs Aikido in San Diego, CA. That's about 2.5 hours south of Los Angeles. The dojo is a couple blocks from the beach, in my favorite part of San Diego, the "Ocean Beach" neighborhood. From San Diego, it's an easy 6 hour drive to Phoenix.

5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

West Seattle you say? Then I fully recommend that you get in contact with Sensei Kris Wilder (West Seattle Karate) to arrange a session or 2 - He is one of the nicest, friendliest, most humble instructors, that I have ever had the pleasure of training under, who would definitely make you feel at home in his Dojo.

Regards

Travess

6. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi aikiMac,

Thanks.

Yes, - got it down to 6 weeks at the moment - mind you that's with generally only driving 2 or 3 hours a day... and stopping at all the sight-seeing places (and probably at way too many restaurants too).

I didn't mean 'house a visitor' - never was one for sleeping on dojo floors - although my old dojo had it's share of guests - no, I just meant places that were happy for a 'stranger' to come along and train (or teach - or share)...

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hello Travess,

Will probably spend a couple of days in Seattle (Go visit the obvious place) - so I will contact Sensei Wilder. Thanks.

8. blindside

blindside Valued Member

My city is vaguely on the way between Minneapolis and Seattle, (see Kennewick, WA). Not much touristy to do here but if you are in the area you would be welcome to join in a class.

Lamont

9. aikiMac

Oh, okay. Well, Sunset Cliffs is a live-in dojo, meaning that some of the students actually live there. ("Uchi-deshi" they call it.) The arrangements would probably be more than sleeping on the mats, and many years ago I popped in on a class when I was in town on vacation. But anyway, as for letting a visitor come to a class or two, that's very common in my experience, but there might be a small fee, $10 or $15.

I used to train at Culver City Aikido (west side of Los Angeles) and we had visitors every couple months. The aikido there is excellent.

I remember that the Sanbukan Aikido dojo (Yoshinkan lineage) in Bellflower, CA, which is very close to the city of Los Angeles, let's a person try a class for free. I've been there, too. The dojo is hidden behind a huge pet store with chickens walking around.

10. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Lamont,

Thanks for the offer.

Kennewick is a bit out of the way - but not too far - I guess if we stayed the night in Richland we could get to Seattle early the next morning and then only stay in Seattle itself for one night. The main issue will be that as things are planned at the moment (and they are subject to change) we would be in Kennewick on a Thursday...

11. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi AikiMac,

Thanks for the info.

'chickens' ... dinner will be ready just as soon as we catch and cook the little darlings :) :) :)

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Crater Lake is amazing! If you are in that area, be sure to check out the Oregon caves too- very close by and also stunning! Since you are already in that area.

I had no idea there was a live in dojo here in my city. That is pretty cool! San Diego has a wealth of martial arts schools though. If you come to San Diego, what are you planning on seeing besides martial arts?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  13. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi aaradia,

Thanks.

Originally San Diego was going to be my starting point and I was going to head North. Now it's unlikely that I will make it as far South as LA or San Diego - probably now leaving the 101 near Cambria and heading towards Bakersfield and then East and North...

14. Kurai

Kurai Valued Member

If you decide to see Lake Tahoe, let me know.

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

You would be very welcome to train with us here on the US-Canada border (Winthrop, NY), although I fear it is out of your way. If you do come this way, let me know!

16. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for the kind offer - this proposed trip will not take me anywhere near you but hopefully one day...

17. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Kurai,

Thanks.

Don't think we are going near Lake Tahoe but if plans change (and plans always change - don't they) - I will let you know.

18. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

In Minneapolis, I would highly recommend visiting Rick Faye's Minnesota Kali Group (MKG). In Seattle, I would highly recommend visiting Andy Wilson's MKG Seattle. Both schools are fine with drop-in students, or at least they were the last time I was there.

19. aikiMac

To the OP -- In my experience, almost all schools are fine with a traveler dropping in on a class or two while he passed through town. I can't imagine that you'll have any shortage of training opportunities.

Not that Phoenix, AZ is a vacation destination, but if your journey does take you through Phoenix, send me a PM. :)