USA invades Costa Rica?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Estrix, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

A friend of mine just told me that apparently the USA has invaded Costa Rica. I've googled this and all I can come up with are a few articles on non-official news sites. That is to say I've checked BBC and a few others and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it. Has this really happened? Could some one provide legitimate news links for whatever has occured? It would be kind of nice to know whats going on, I'm stuck in Mongolia so news can be a bit slim lol

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

You're friend is full of it. Perhaps that is why you can't find any news on this.

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Maybe you should check under sports? I believe it was 2-2.

4. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

There is considerable chatter on non MSM sites about the US sending 46 ships and 7,000 Marines to Costa Rica.

Of course, what s glossed over is that it is not an invasion, but the the Marines are there at the request of the CR government to help fight drug lords.

The numbers are suspect, unless it's just a maximum number imposed by the CR gov't. With current deployment, where is the Marine Corps going to find 7,000 troops to send down there.

5. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

http://www.military.com/news/article/costa-rica-to-allow-us-to-send-troops.html

http://www.innworldreport.net/inn/i...o-send-troops&catid=36:international&Itemid=1

http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-07-09/costa-rica-us-military.html

God damn it! Its like whoever is elected we always end up sticking our nose in other peoples business. I'm so tire of us entangling our troops anywhere for any reason.

Lets lock up our borders killing three birds with one stone: illegal immigration, drug trafficking, and terrorist infiltration.
    Lets withdraw our troops from other countries to end unwanted occupations, to stop propping up authoritarian governments, to stop miring us in other peoples conflicts of which we may not have had anything to do with in the first place.

We'll save money, stop the the spread of anti-American sentiment, and God forbid have the logistical resources of the military to aid us during the next Katrina, oil leak, whatever.

Let's speak softly and carry a big stick instead of shoving our stick up everybody else's ass!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

But you've done so well everywhere else......

7. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

WOOOO a new war. Am I surprised? Nope.

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Could be some tactical manouver to get more naval forces stationed near Venuzuela. I don't think drugs are the real issue here. There must be loads of other possible and effective routes for drugs to be moved to the US. On top of that, the amount of troops for the given reason sounds like an overkill. Smells like the usual Team America stuff.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

If this happened, why are none of the mainstream news sources picking it up? A deployment of 7,000 Marines and hundreds/thousands of sailors onboard 46 warships to ANY country seems to me like it would be newsworthy, regardless of whether you agree with it or not.

10. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

MMM you can smell the anti-American sentiments in here.......... I can understand the reasoning behind it for those who don't know it is a big problem here. Keeps me employed!

11. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Well, Im not in the US, but I have not heard of Costa Rica being a major player in the drugs game. Is there evidence for this? Is such information publicaly available and presented where you are? Does it link with the reality? (I'm assuming your in some civil service role?)

12. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Hmmm, interesting stuff indeed. It is certainly not an invasion. However, anti-drug trafficking is normally the scope of the DEA not the US Marines. The recent events in Mexico are demonstrative of how drug cartels can can destabilize a country. Are the marines really going after drug traffickers or do they have another purpose such as flexing some military muscle to make Mr. Chavez in Venezuela lose sleep?

This warrants some closer scrutiny.

13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm still not convinced this even really happened (I'm beginning to suspect it's a false internet rumor that's spreading like wildfire through non-mainstream websites), so isn't it too early to worry about why it happened?

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Christ... there's enough older expat Americans living in Costa Rica for the easy lifestyle and young girls... that a lone represents a US invasion. lol.

15. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm with Mitlov at this point though - internet rumor gone out of control lol.

16. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

Seems pretty unlikely IMO, but then again the american government has a habit of poking it's nose in places it shouldn't. So far it seems just like a load of crap.

17. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

We like using our elderly as an early scout force. :evil:

18. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

CR does not have an army to assist a DEA op.

And that is the most likely explanation.

19. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

No they do not. One does not need an army for drug raids unless the problem is a FARC sized guerilla group. CR does not have that sort of problem.

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Maybe they meant to invade somewhere else, but got bad directions?