Upset <-- rant :D

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Skinneh, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Skinneh

Skinneh Skinny Theif Ninja Spy

Alright im very discouraged here so im going to post because I need some ideas on what to do. ( ill try not to jump around too much :p )

First ive been doing KB for ... 4 months now ? Im very small 5'9 140 ibs 21 years old. The first 2 months were amazing. I became so strong, learnt so much. I was never happier. Now though..... im extremely bored. After 4 months I can barely doo a hook punch or an upercut. Ive only mastered the jab and cross. I have not SPARED ONCE!!. Though ive been waiting a month for my sparing gear.. I still doubt i would have spared if i had it.

Is it wrong for me to a ask my sifu to train me like a real fighter ( even though i havnt spared so for all I know i suck :D )?. Also the attendance in classes have dropped like 70%. There were 4 or 5 fighters and now there is one ( a lady who holds an amature title ). All we do now is warmups , punch the bags, go home. I want drills, I want to be hit, I want to spare. I have a huge fear of sparing but i want to get started on it. I know he is a good trainer its just I DID KICKBOXING FOR THE CONTACT not the fitness ( seems like last month its been more kardio kickboxing then real full contact ) Unfortanatly untill i move, there is no other MA schools ( besides a Bjj one, but im not ready for that :D ) There are a few jkd ones and a karate one but they arnt contact.

Argh so much rambling. We will see how tommoorow goes. I dont want to be treated special or given more attention i just want to learn how to F#$@cking fight :D Anyone else had this problem?

2. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

I'd spar with you, but that's a long way to drive. Either talk to your sifu about it or find another school.

3. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

This is setting off serious alarm bells in my head!

70% attendance drop - perhaps they have realised it is rubbish.

I did sparring the first kickboxing class I went to, and every time I have gone since (an occasional drop-in) I have sparred, and you say that in four months you haven't once?

At the same time, there might be perfectly good reasons why you aren't sparring. Perhaps your instructor doesn't think you are ready. Perhaps because you have only learnt the jab and the cross (I wonder if this is due to his teaching or your learning?), he wants you to progress more first.

At the end of the day, only your instructor has the answers to those questions, so speak to him about your concerns before you do anything too drastic.

Also, don't write off JKD and karate. These schools may not be contact, but semi-contact sparring is better than none at all.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide;)

4. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

take jkd or wc where you practice in class, even if its not full speed. jkd i hear is more active , yet wc schools are still very good at hands on from day 1.

also try asking people in yoru class to spar/full contact outside of class. taking wc/jkd you will learn how to effectivly practice moves without hurting your opponent.

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I'd be now wondering why and doing something about it.

Cheers. :)

6. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

4 months isnt that long to be learning anything. I doubt that you have matered the jab cross as this takes many years ( and even then its not guaranteed to happen). As far as doing hooks and uppercuts, these also take time to get "comfortable" with.

Do you do hook and jab pads (hand held focus pads) drills? If so then you can get your partner to mix it up so you can practice shots that you think that you are not so good at (hook, uppercuts, bodyshots) This makes the training much more interesting.

If you dont have (or there are none you can borrow) pads/gloves then I can see why you have not sparred. But if there are spares then I would ask your trainer when he will let you spar. In my experience must instructors/trainers etc are quite keen to get you sparing.

Let us know how you get on!

7. Adam

Adam New Member

Leave that McDojo hellhole pronto!

There, I said it.

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Ooh, that's not good :(

Like most people, i was sparring in my first kickboxing lesson. I'd done alittle Lau Gar before hand so i wasn't to bad lol.

Anyways, it's definatly something to talk to your instructor about...