Updates on Harry Cook

Discussion in 'Karate' started by LabanB, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Having had family members who have been the victims of paedophiles I do consider it a very serious subject.I have seen first hand the life long damage that these creatures cause.Cook will probably get around 5-7 years and be out within three,free to carry on with his life whilst his victims will be haunted for the rest of their lives.Look at the case of Jonathan King.He got seven years,served three,and is now out and making even more money.I would put pound to a penny that the karate community will welcome Cook back into the fold.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I doubt that very much.

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

^What he said.

Also, any instructor worth his weight teaching kids should have a CRB check.

And that Aint. Gonna. Happen.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You're welcome to your opinion, but I very much doubt it.

If he does ever leave prison, he'll be the definition of persona non grata, not least because whenever this happens, it brings karate instructors into disrepute, so the karate world will have even more of a grudge than most members of the public.

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Don't think for a second that you're the only one here that has had family members victimized by sexual crime.

Cook will serve his time, however it will be up to the public on whether or not they welcome him back. If you don't like him then stand against him and let your voice be heard. This is the first time I've heard about the guy, but he will be in my list of bad guys to watch out for and warn others about, if proven guilty. None the less, I'm going to be extremely skeptical. However all this talk about suicide is pointless, and at the end of the day its his choice on whether or not he wants to take his own life over this, though I doubt he will. Suicide is a proud man's last resort and proud men tend to be cowardly at heart. I can't say whether he is proud or not, but if he is guilty and chooses to declare innocent while hiding behind a lawyer, I would say thats a testimony of his character.

Cook will be haunted, and there will be plenty of ghosts from his past and his future to remind him of what he has done.

6. TonyMc

TonyMc Valued Member

This is clearly a contensious issue that quite understandably gets people upset and wound up. When all said and done, this individual has not been proven guilty..................yet. But I am sure he will be, and when he is I hope they throw away the key, I am sure there will be a queue of people willing to test his karate when he is put away, not that I care as it's not about karate anymore. My thoughts are with the innocent victims and their families and his family that has to forever live with the shame..

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He has already pleaded guilty. That's 'proven' as far as I'm concerned.

8. TonyMc

TonyMc Valued Member

Then let justice be served, harshly..

9. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I believe justice will be served , with the charges mounting against him i would hope it's a long sentence , the other side , as i've said before , is that his karate career isn't just finished but any good reputation he had built up through books , seminars etc has been destroyed.
    I suspect that will haunt him more than any prison sentence.

10. John Paul Marti

John Paul Marti Valued Member

Your post is of course utter fantasy and merely some kind of trolling. You really should stop. However again for clarification (Please do read these facts before you post again)

- HC has already admitted to and pled guilty to 14 charges (so far) of sexual assault on three victims of varying ages at the time of the offense. Some offenses were committed on children under 14 which carries severe penlites. The CPS has said HC has asked for many more offenses to be taken into consideration and at this time (September) these admitted offenses are being investigated and therefore more charges will be brought to which HC will *automatically* be guilty because he has asked for them to be included. HC prospects for release any time within the next 8 years are essentially zero. Home office sentencing guidelines ensure he must serve at least that much for only one offense of sexual assault on a child.

- The process right now is of deciding how many charges will be assessed when he is sentenced. This process is not a trial. He is in jail waiting to be sentenced.

- Whatever the karate community may do HC will never be allowed to take part in any activity involving teaching in which he may come into contact with anybody under the age of 16. He will not be allowed to have any position in which he may influence or effect the actions of others (such as lecturing, teaching etc)

- In a nutshell. His Karate career is over. He cannot rejoin any so called karate community because he is a sex offender.

- Finally he will be over 70 when he is even considered for release (which will be if it happens 'on license' which has been described as living with handcuffs on and a sign round your neck saying 'I am a criminal avoid me'

11. John Paul Marti

Tony, You definitely have to work on that 'reading carefully' thing.

HC has already pleaded guilty and is now awaiting sentence.

There has been no trial because, once again for your benefit, HC has pleaded guilty.

That means he is guilty of the charges that have been brought so far which is 14. Currently the court is waiting for more charges to be brought for which HC has <come on Tony together with me slowly> already pled guilty.

There you go. Hope that helps.

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

On a somewhat related note, a good flaying would be appropriate I think.

13. TonyMc

TonyMc Valued Member

Yeah thanks for the advice but Holyheadjch has already politely pinged me on that one which believe it or not, and despite my limited IQ, I did manage to grasp. So can we please dispense with the patronising?

14. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Karate community ? Is there still one... ? My deepest sympathies and heart felt sorrow goes out to the victims, their families and Cook's family... Cook will never repent or show genuine remorse, other than that for getting caught. In his own warped mind, he is the victim...
    Who the <language> cares about him ' Re-establishing his karate career in the future... ' !? I struggle to understand how someone who preached the tenets of budo one minute could groom and rape a child the next, but then Cook had some good teachers... I bet there's a few high ranking Japanese and British ' Sensei ', ( How apt.... teacher ), who should be sharing his cell with him !!! Don't be so naiive in thinking he's the only one..... he isn't !!! Anyone who tries to defend him OR his work should be in his cell with him !!! I'm sure Cook himself could spill the disgusting beans on other high ranking Karateka who are as bad as him.....He's an animal, a dangerous one.....and you don't let them roam free. You can't rehabilitate such a dangerous animal. Give your thoughts to the victims not to Cook. Hope his bunkai works because he'll get the chance to use it every day on every hard case who wants to make a name for himself.....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  15. John Paul Marti

How on earth could you know that. You obviously pulled that out of thin air (or copied it from something you read) because it sounded good. You (and we) have no way to know what HC's current state of mind is. Did you visit him and did he tell you that he feels he is the victim. If not then you are simply making stuff up.

You have to be BE REALLY CAREFUL when you make stuff up like that. in fact you shouldn't even post it and I would recommend you delete it or get the mod to do that. It looks like you are trying to start a baseless internet witch hunt. Again, you have no facts except your own conjecture which makes me think you are trying to smear by implication some Karate teachers you have a grudge against. That kind of tactic is very well known on other sites and I suggest you knock it off before you get banned.

At this moment the only hard fact is that HC will appear at Newcastle Crown Court again on the 30th of September.

I suggest you leave it at that.

16. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I am not sure this is a fair comparison but being a devout member of a MA group doesn't make you any different than anyone else. There will be good and bad people in at least similar proportions to the population at large.

Oddly enough this reminds me that when I read Zen and the Art of Archery by Eugene Herigal I thought he sounded like an interesting man who might be admired.. that was until I read further and found out he was a proud supporter of the Nazi party..

It takes all types and oddly enough there is nothing that prevents the maniacs/crazies in this world being good at martial arts... perhaps something to keep in mind.

FWIW

LFD

17. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

I've trained with many, many senior Karate sensei over a 30 year period....most were not just sublime karateka but fantastic human beings, humble, gracious and keen to impart their knowledge to all and anyone who would put the time in....however, I KNOW from personal experience that Cook wasn't the only bad apple...there were some practices that went on in the early days of Karate that would put people in jail today...thankfully times have moved on but my point was and is....don't be surprised if more come to light....

Most modern karate coaches are now CRB checked or should be and many study vocational courses in social and communicative skills that are an absolute necessity in the modern era and many younger and more modern Karate coaches ( Note I use the term coach ) are exceptionally good teachers and role models.

I started martial arts because I was bullied in school.....then I was bullied in the dojo and I've seen others abused, both mentally, emotionally AND sexually....so I don't need a lecture off you on that point. We should all be aware that it still goes on and we must root out the sick minority so the decent and hard working majority doesn't get tarred with the same brush...

Cook's mental state !? Who cares apart from Cook apologists and sympathizers... I'm more concerned with the mental state of his victims and the damage he has done to karate and decent hard working Karate Coaches. If I were to entrust my kids to be taught by a Martial Art instructor, because of what I've seen personally go on, on occasion, I'd want to know everything about the instructor but many parents take instructors at face value...as did Cooks victims parents....

You don't need me to tell you most paedophiles are actually charming, charasmatic, interesting, magnetic and ' smooth ' characters usually operating from a position of trust and are individuals who are meticulous in their planning and carry a certain mindset. I seriously doubt after nearly 30 years of abusing he's going to have an epiphany and see the light...hallilujah

My core point was... it's still going on....we all need to be observant, not just for the ' sake ' of Karate in general but it's most vunerable practitioners !!!

18. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Fully agree Jaae. Karate has survived for many, many years and will continue to do so through the dedication of the most honourable among us. It is the victims of such perverted actions that will struggle to survive for the rest of their lives. I know this because I've spent over 30 years supporting such survivors. It is not a happy picture and they certainly deserve far more support than they generally receive.

Sometimes, we can see far more when the eyes are open more than the mouth. These sick people must be reported every time...no excuses or cover-up!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  19. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I think its best to leave it to the mods to ban people.Your over bearing and patronising attitude has me reaching for the puke bucket.Are you Mr Cook's publicity agent?

20. John Paul Marti

Too bad. I'm posting the facts as they are not as people want them to be or imagine them to be. Get over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.