"up-day, down-day" dieting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CosmicFish, Jun 20, 2006.

1. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

2. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Yes it works well, you can make LBM gains similar to a straight out bulk while leaning up simultaneously.

I went through specifically what I'm doing on post 6 on this page;
    http://teamtest.freeforumsite.com/teamtest-about265.html

I've been doing it for about 7/8 weeks now and have seen the above results.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It's definitely a good method, in a similar vein as carb cycling. It's much easier to stick to as well IMO, because you know you are getting more calories again soon rather than constant hunger. Many people already use this by taking in less calories on non-workout days.

4. CosmicFish

Interesting, cheers for the replies. I originally posted this out of pure curiosity, but now I'm thinking of trying it myself. I've recently started to diet off a moderate belly I've picked up after several months of bulking, but hate the fact that it slows down lifting progress. I'm also very keen to keep gaining weight.

So, how does the following sound, assuming ~3,000 calories required to maintain bodyweight, eating 6 meals per day and weight training 3 times per week.

The meal before a workout and the next five meals after it: ~700 cals
    All other meals: ~350 cals
    (Total cals for one week: ~21,000)

Presumably on a diet like that you'd lose fat whilst gaining muscle, keeping overall bodyweight the same.

If you wanted to gain lean weight without too much fat, could you simply up the calories to ~800 and ~400 respectively? As that's ~3,000 cals more than you need, theoretically you should gain just under 1lb of weight each week. Would that be a higher muscle:fat ratio than on a traditional bulking diet, do you think?

I realise the diet's a very simple one and doesn't take into account p/c/f ratios or anything complicated, but I'm now considering doing this for an extended period of time, so obviously I have to factor in social life, not ****ing off the girlfriend and various lunch buddies, etc. I tend to eat relatively clean anyway.

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

6. CosmicFish

Great find - cheers mate!

It's interesting how they only want 40 year olds and over for the study.

p.s. Shame I don't have any toenail fungus to test it on. :D