Up and down motion in Jurus

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Van Zandt, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

In the majority of Jurus I've seen practiced (as well as practicing Cimande myself) I can't help but notice the rising up and down motion of the hips is very similar to sine wave in ITF Taekwondo. Anyone else notice this?

2. Zanchito

Zanchito Valued Member

I don't know much about TKD, but the principles for generating power and stability are universal biomechanics, so I don't think it's surprising there are many common movements in different MA's. :)

3. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

In the up and down movements of the jurus in silat, this helps in doing a couple of techniques called grounding and shearing.. In the art of Kuntao, the grounding is applied in an application where we can actually use our power when combined with the changing of elevation to bring it into one focal point on target.. This is called marriage of gravity in some kenpo styles.. In the shearing aspects, we can either avoid the attack by parrying it upwards and then dropping to focus on a shearing action to a major muscle group/joint of the body.. This is usually applied with an elbow which is sandwiched with an counter opposing action with the other hand or leg as a bracing instrument which traps the joint/muscle group in between the two similar to the guntings of the filipino arts

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks guys