unusual heart rates...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by totality, Mar 23, 2004.

1. totality

totality New Member

lately i've noticed my heart rate is very strange. checked at random times throughout the day, i've been up around the 80-100(!) range for a resting heart rate. generally, i'm somewhere around 50. the last time i had a really good session of bagwork, i found my heart rate was around 200! i figured i'd try here before running off to a physician. so, any ideas? am i dying, doc? :cry:

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Maybe you just forgot how to count...?

PL

3. ranger

ranger New Member

what is the normal heart rate?

why? what is the normal heart rate per minute? during rest and work out? :)

4. totality

totality New Member

hmm...guess i'm dying then. kind of weird, to have a heart rate at around 180, and not be tired. damn! i'm too young and pretty and cooler than most bipeds to die.

5. ranger

ranger New Member

i don't think tiredness is an indicator. pls just correct me if i'm wrong. but 180 to 200+ heart rate when your in training is i think a very fast heart rate already. that means your heart is working really hard don't you think? :)

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi,

The best time to take your resting heart rate is first thing in the morning when you wake up. It's difficult to have a resting period for long enough during the day to take a 'resting' heart rate.

The normal person has a resting heart rate around 72. (Mine is around 50).

Very high rates like 180-200 will be normal for your age, during intense activity. But only do this for short bursts. Once you ease down or stop, the heart rate should quickly drop to a more reasonable rate - maybe 80-120 after a minute or so.

If you have any concerns about your heart, then visit a doctor.

Cheers.

7. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Perhaps you should check your blood pressure, as this is more likely to highlight potential problems than your heart rate.

8. johndoch

johndoch upurs

It worries me that people post a problem like this on MAP.

Totality if its worrying you "GO TO A BLOODY DOCTOR" and dont expect people on MAP to be able to make qualified opinions

9. Jax

Jax New Member

ive had mine upto 200 when training hard, but thats only when i really push it. on a hard running sessions it hangs around 170 most of the time.

resting for me is about 50-60 depends how much caffeine i have had :)

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I am wondering if you are measuring your heart rate correctly. :confused:

Find your pulse in your wrist or neck, count the number of pulsations/beats in 10 seconds, and then multiply by 6 to get your heart rate.

Actually a resting heart rate between 80-100 is of no concern, it is when it shoots up past 100.
    Keep a log of your heart rate and take it at rest a few times a day and also during your peak exercise.
    Record all these numbers for one week and if your resting heart rate is consistently greater than 100, then you should see a physician who would probably have you wear a portable heart monitor for a day or two to determine your heart rhythm during the periods of tachycardia (fast heart rate) at rest.

Also, avoid caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco. If your heart rate at rest is almost
    always less than 100, then you do not need to see a doctor.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

KC's right. Based on your resting heart rate, providing you ARE measuring it correctly. A working heart rate over over 180-200 would be pretty darn high. Make sure your measuring it correctly before running off to the doc...

12. totality

totality New Member

ok, thanks everyone. i'll go to the doctor if i continue to think i'm dying. (i've been kind of paranoid after reading an article about some guy named dengle who died a couple of years ago in a MMA match.)

13. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

For a non-sportsman, the usual resting pulse rate is 60 to 80 - for someone that does a lot of cardio work it can drop from there somewhat.

The maximum safe pulserate is considered to be 220 minus your age. For example, I'm 30 years old, so my maximum safe pulse rate would be 190.

When training, you usually want to keep your heart rate at 50% to 85% of your maximum safe pulse rate - only going for the higher end of this range if your already quite fit. Again for myself, my low intensity training range would be a pulse of around 95 to 114; the highest I'd want to push it in training would be about 162.

14. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

It may be tachycardia (and thats a big may), but that would only be the case if you had an extremely rapid heart rate when resting. I mean very fast. Normal BPM is anywhere between 60-80 per minute resting.

I get palpitations on a regular basis, the doctor couldn't find anything wrong with me. Most things to do with your heart, unless accompanyed by pain/other symptoms, are just glitches.

15. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Have you tried wearing a heart rate monitor for a while, it will take out some of inaccuracy of measuring your HR post exercise, its difficult to count accurately when your bent over trying to get your breath back. They are fairly common now so you may already know somebody that has one you could borrow for a day or so.

Also, for anybody that uses heart rate training zones be careful with the 220 minus your age equation for max heart rate, its been shown recently that its not really accurate as it didn't work for 55% of those people tested, I once did a test on a 40yr old pursuit cyclist and her max ended up at well over 200, if you need to know I'd suggest geting it tested properly.