unusual feint by rigondeaux

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shs111, Feb 13, 2013.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

If anyone is a fan of guillermo rigondeaux then you should have noticed this before because he does this in all of his fights and I really dont know why? Some commentators even commented on this but no real insight on it. Its not like a typical feint, he throws a half way punch of some sort (a lot with his straight left) almost in slow motion/half speed...sometimes he comes off with something right after and sometimes not.
    A perfect quick example would be right here at around 3:15
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeaVS6yR7XA"]Guillermo Rigondeaux - OFFICIAL HIGHLIGHTS! - YouTube[/ame]

Would this be good to start doing? What are the pros and cons of this? As myself a southpaw, I have a few fights (no begginer) I was looking to add this to my game but first I need to know why he does this

Also that's just a quick example of him doing it but if anyone watched any of his fights before you will see he does this a lot

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Just looking at the suggested 3:15 feint and I'll put my hands up before I comment saying I don't know much about boxing, never done it and never really watched it.

But it looks like he feinted that straight left to pre-emt the counter punch, as soon as his feint started coming back in his opponent dropped his left hand slightly and threw his counter right, but reiondeaux was prepared for it so his counter counter was already coming in to strike the open face.

At least thats what I saw in it - assuming it was a planned combination of techniques - which if he does it often I'd imagine it is...

But I don't know anything about boxing so I'll not be offended or surprised if someone says I'm wildly wrong with my assessment...

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Attack by Drawing? Sounds more like JKD to me... :whistle:

Seriously though, it looks like a great example of drawing a reaction from your opponent to open his guard - probably having thrown a few hard straight lefts beforehand, and getting the 'parry'/hands out in front reaction, he 'sells' another, then before the opponent has time to return his guard Rigondeaux stings him with the right hook on the 'half beat'.

Nice moves.

4. Kuniku

So I was on the right track then? =D

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Oh yeah, sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder... It would have helped if I had read your post before replying!

6. Kuniku

Hehe no no, as I said I wasn't sure if I was on the right track, I'm kinda chuffed I got it right :3

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its what feints are supposed to do. Throw one and counter the opponent's "counter".
    A sparring partner of mine does it with his jab. Usually follows with (same hand) hook.

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

...but as you know this, can you sell him your first counter in order to re-counter his counter-counter? Or does he vary it enough to make his counter-counter un-counterable?

Try saying that out loud.

9. Kuniku

how much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood cut would chuck wood? ;op

10. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Aaaaaand my work here is done :cool:

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

canyousellhimyourfirstcounterinordertorecounterhiscountercounter?Ordoeshevaryitenoughtomakehiscountercounterun-counterable? (10x fast)

:)

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

@OP

I would label this as a specialized variant to the feint that this fighters has adopted to his style which he takes advantage of with his speed. Feints are common in boxing and become really useful to help set up different punches or wear an opponent down who is scared of getting hit. Generally you do not leave your arm hanging like that, but when you're fast you can get away with things and it appears this is intentional for this fighter. I wouldn't recommend adopting this as a technique of your own until you 1.) learn how to feint correctly and 2.) have a significant advantage in speed over your opponent. A good counter to this move would be to step in with a hard jab that backs your opponent off and to follow up with a hard cross or short lead hook.

13. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

I hope Rigondeaux fights Donaire. Could be a real chess match.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Really? Wow that would be dull to watch....could they play Twister instead

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I always have a hard time finding an interest to watch guys in the lower weight classes. Most of these guys aren't even taller than the ropes in the ring!

16. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

There's a weird motion in that feint of his. It looks like a feint aimed at the other fighter's instincts.

At a first glance the feint looks really crappy, but there's something more to it.

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Rigondeaux beat Donaire last Saturday. Quite impressively so too.

18. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Rigo is a master boxer. He's had 400+ amateur fights and completely outclassed Donaire. Likely to see a lot more of him in the future.

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It wasn't impressive to the judges. 114-113??? Is that judge kidding???

The judges weren't watching the same fight that you and I watched. :dunno: The fight was almost boring to me because it was so lopsided.

20. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I didn't even pay attention to the scorecards, it's almost amazing how he scored it so close. Or maybe he just felt bad for Donaire, I know I did.