University later in life

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jaydub, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

There is a program available to me in the military that would allow me to attend a University for a few years in order to get a degree. Afterwards, I would be commissioned as an officer (potentially in an entirely different field) and carry on with my career.

There have been a couple major changes in my life that make we want a fresh start. I think I'm going to apply for it. I don't want to die without achieving my full potential.

Does anyone here have experience with University later in life? If so, how did you find the experience? My degree of choice will be either Communications or Psychology and I will be in my forties.

Nachi likes this.
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I went back in my 30s to finish a degree I started years earlier, but it was on a part time basis while I was still working full time. I was single with no kids at that time

I looked at it this way, the time is going to pass whether I work towards my degree or not. So 5 years from the time I started, I could be 5 years older without the degree.... or 5 years older with the degree. I returned again to work towards a masters when I hit 50, but it was much harder then, I was in a different job that was more demanding of my time and i had kids, one young, and. wife who had her own business and worked 12 to 16 hours a day. I will retire now in about 5 to 7 years and I am currently debating whether or not is I should not go back for a PhD in an entirely different area from what I do now.

Jaydub likes this.
  3. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

My mom didn't really go for a degree later in life, as she had the doctor's since her younger years, but she went back to the university to get a specialized course to allow her to teach kids younger than she had her previous education for. She started when she was 55 I think and 3 years later finished with a thesis and exam. She had a full time job and had to go to the university in a different city usually every other weekend. And she managed it quite well.

At the moment, my friend, who is 47 and recently a single mom to two sons (one of whom is adult now) decided to go for the same university and a very similar course, that will, however, end with a bachelor degree as she didn't have one. She needs it for her new job. She was offered to do a one year long course in Prague by her employer, but the bachelor degree she never had was tempting for her, so she applied for this three year course on top on of the one year one. Looks like she may be able to chose only the longer one she really wanted. She has just had her first weekend in the university, but is worried if she will be able to pass all the exams as one of the first is English and she isn't very good in it. And about the whole studying at a university thing.

I am not sure if I'd have the guts to do this, but then I have a master's already. I think it is pretty amazing to go and study later in life because you want that degree or knowledge. If you have the time to do that and an opportunity, it may be good to at least try (well, unless you need to spend a lot of money for it so that just "tryin" really isn't good enough).

Jaydub likes this.
  4. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Thank you for the replies.

I'm a bit spoiled in the sense that my tuition will be fully paid for ,and I will also be paid my full salary while studying full time. I won't have the gamble of having to pay for something that may not pan out, or the struggle of having to juggle part-time schooling with work and family commitments that plague mature students. Attending University would essentially be a posting and my full-time job for four years.

Xue Sheng and Nachi like this.
  5. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sounds pretty cool and like something you should maybe try if it appeals to xou to study that subject and add a title to your name :)

Jaydub likes this.
  6. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Not yet been myself, but my mum changed career after a lifetime as a hairdresser, and became a teacher in her 40s, doesn't regret it at all. Go for it, and good luck!

Jaydub likes this.
  7. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I think that I'm leaning more towards Communications at this point. I have a few credits towards a Psychology degree, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in.

A BA in Communications can lead to a Masters in Intercultural Communication, which is a pathway into a career in Foreign Affairs.

hewho likes this.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I'd say "Go for it!" and enjoy the experience.

As a 'non-trad' student, you will find things a bit different, especially the perspective and points of view of younger students with different life experiences than you. Granted, I went to college after 4 years in the service.. but even then as being just a few years older than my college peers, there was quite a bit of difference. What I enjoyed about going to college after the service was that by then I had developed pretty good focus and attention to details and getting things done ahead, so the coursework really wasn't that challenging overall. I also loved being able to learn about stuff that just seemed 'cool' and weren't job related (yay! electives!)

Good luck - I'd recommend stopping to see if there is a student veteran group or veterans advisor to help with some support and tips.

Jaydub likes this.
  9. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Thank you for your advice. The Academic Institution that I have chosen isn't your typical University. It's generally geared more towards mature professionals as opposed to the younger crowd.

It's a former Military academy that is now privately run, but they remain very Military friendly. It is also walking distance to wear I currently live.

You probably already know it as "Dr. Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters", as the campus grounds were featured in the X-Men movies. Royal Roads University | Victoria, BC

Thomas and Travess like this.
  10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

You have me thinking, I can't for the life of me figure out why, I retire in 5 to 7 years, but you have me thinking about going back for a second bachelors in Psychology, I mean last I knew I was darn close already.

Travess and Jaydub like this.
  11. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I say go for it!

Travess and Xue Sheng like this.
  12. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I started an online Communications course earlier this month. One of our assignments was to describe a breakdown in communications that you've had with someone. I drew on one of my experiences in martial arts. I've decided to share it here because maybe other MA practitioners can understand the humor of the situation.

Travess, axelb, Mitch and 2 others like this.