University Kickboxing Clubs???

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by kickboxingidiot, Dec 8, 2005.

1. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

How many univeristy kickboxing clubs are there in the UK?
    Are they any good?
    Can they actually produce people who are capable of competing or are they just "fitness classes" or "recruitment bases" for "McDojos" ?

I would like to hear from anyone who trains at a University Kickboxing club.
    I have been present at numerous kickboxing inter-uni matches/ tournaments,..etc since the year 2000.

A few of the universities stood out in particular but it quite often seems to be the same universities who seem to do the ass kicking. Maybe some of the uni clubs dont want to get shown up?

2. kickboxingidiot

To be honest i think that the clubs that stand out are:

Sheffield hallam university (not so much of volume of fighters but more of actual QUALITY)
    Kent university for the sheer numbers and their tenacity!
    Sussex University , they have a very strong squad too.

there are other clubs comign thru the system:
    Loughborough uni= unpredictable but still seem very "semi contact" ish and lack composure
    Leeds uni= very TKD based, but other than that mostly flashy kicks.

3. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

6 members of the Cambridge University Kickboxing Club and two students from UCL represented Great Britain in the Savate University World Cup in July 2005. Good event with university teams from about 15 countries.

:)

4. braniff_888

braniff_888 New Member

Uni's in Belfast and NI do it as well and also a lot of other styles such as nin-ji-jistu, it's meant to be good but havent seen them fight :)

5. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

braniff 888 don't think there are many kickboxing clubs in uni's at Belfast... Taekwondo yeah, but Kickboxing I haven't seen. The only kickboxing club I know in Belfast is the prokick people. Where did you hear of a uni kickboxing team?

6. kickboxingidiot

in the interuni tournament in 2000
    i saw ONE figther from the cambridge uni savate club.

he turned up on his own without any support or corner crew.
    brave fella that he was,.. wouldnt it be nice if he had his club backing him up.

Are the cambridge uni club goin to support the championships this year?
    Or are they going to gget into politicial bickering and slowly try to kill the sport off like the other McDojo based clubs are doin?

7. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh im at leeds uni and i do kickboxing. As ive said before the TKD and kickboxing clubs are part of the same org and are run as sister clubs. There is a small group of really good fighters. The instructors are very open minded about stuff too, as many have cross trained.

Leeds uni has many winners at tournament level in both TKD and KB. The organization that runs the two clubs also has a new thing called Premier Martial Arts, which i dont know much about yet. I think its a mma type of thing, but i cant afford to do that at themo :(

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  8. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

2000? who was the fighter? perhaps he didn't tell anyone else he was going to a tournament...

political bickering and McDojo-based clubs?? leave us out of your insults!

9. kickboxingidiot

Yeah Leeds Uni did well last academic year in the tournament hopefully they will do again in the northern championships.
    Last eyars 71kg champion was from leeds was he not?
    whats his name? he was quite an impressive kicker.
    The heavyweight from leeds was doin well until he got tagged by a brick****house from loughborugh (he was 6'5" and pure muscle).
    Got to the semis and lost to the eventual champion i believe?

The girls from leeds werent bad either.
    Are they gonna have a pop this year too?

As for Cambridge , ill show them due respect when they have a go.

10. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

What's your beef Chum?

If someone who claims to be, or who actually is from Cambridge, decides to go off and enter some tournament or other off his own back, and maybe without even telling his Coach, how the hell is he expected to get support? What was his name anyway? He could've been anyone claiming anything. Just like you are, McKickboxingidiot. Your name says it all!

Pugil

11. Hiroji

Im not sure on allthr facts and names yet. I only joined a few months ago so im not in same class as the better fighters. Allthough i have sparred with some of them in the open sparring class. They will be having a pop this year i would have thought. your right, there is lots of girls at leeds. Which is great you know... :love:

12. kickboxingidiot

LOL@pugil
    you seem a bit upset
    all im askin you to do is to do it for the sport. and then you decide to have a pop and fly off the handle?
    Get a grip man!

Hiroji:
    Full respect to the leeds uni club

13. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Inflamatory...

Upset? Yes a little. In your previous post you took a cheap shot at Cambridge University Savate Club when you wrote, "in the interuni tournament in 2000
    i saw ONE figther from the cambridge uni savate club.

"he turned up on his own without any support or corner crew.
    brave fella that he was,.. wouldnt it be nice if he had his club backing him up.

"Are the cambridge uni club goin to support the championships this year?
    Or are they going to gget into politicial bickering and slowly try to kill the sport off like the other McDojo based clubs are doin?"

To be honest, I thought my reply to your post was given back to you with the same 'level of contact'. Now shouldn't you be studying for something? As for me, I'm off to take a private training session with someone who deserves my time rather more than you do!

Pugil

14. kickboxingidiot

LOL in pugils face

Hey are you gonna support the championships or not?

15. Taliq

Taliq New Member

The 71kg fighter is called Sam, he's now the clubs vice-captain. The heavyweight is called Will. Those two are some of the few decent fighters that is the shambles that is Leeds Uni kickboxing club...oh the stories I can tell :D

16. kickboxingidiot

Hi Taliq and Hiroji
    Im gonna be having a go in the championships are you guys too?
    what about Sam do you think he will win it again?
    Ive heard that the sheffield team have a very STRONG squad this year in that weiht class so he will have his work cut out for him!
    theres been a lot of interestin ppl who have already put their names down to have a go.
    Theres an amateur boxer, an MMA figther a few guys who have actually competed in muay thai as well!
    maybe i get to meet you guys at the championships???

17. Hiroji

Hi mate

Yeh with a bit of luck i will be going into as many torneys as i can next year. Just going to see how training goes after the xmas break. Might bump into you at some point! ;)

From what i see sam is a good fighter, although ive never sparred with him. He must be pretty good if he won last year.

BTW! how do you get all the low-downs on all the fighters!?

18. kickboxingidiot

i havent actually seen that much of sam figght, i was too busy concnetratin on my team mates at the time

so you guys are comin to the inter uni tourney?
    remember this is THE norhtern uni tourney!
    and its feb the 18th!!! i.e. not much time left!

I get the low down coz im in there with the WKA guys who are collecting the entries in.

naaah just kidding
    well i know coz they are some of my team mates and yeah i do believe that sam will have his work cut out this year

19. kickboxingidiot

Teeside have a good club
    theyre actually going to take up the challenge.
    Lets see how they do.

20. kickboxingidiot

Newcastles uni have a VERY stron squad too!