Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Moosey, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

So.. Will anyone be seeking this one out?

I vaguely remember Universal Soldier being a serviceable '80s action movie and I've got a soft spot or Van Damme. However, Dolph Lundgren is a terrible actor and I'm not too familiar with Scott Adkins.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPcMKd_73Ys"]Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning - Official Trailer (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Adkins

Doesn't look too familiar.

Can they not resurrect van Damage?? He has been very good in those hilarious beer ads!

3. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

For a second, I thought Dolph was Gary Busey..

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Scott Adkins has a ridiculously popular character on the undisputed series as Yuri Boyka, some really flashy stuff that he does, and his physique made him really popular. There are montages of him in Undisputed with like 3 million hits.

5. Moosey

Aha, he is an athletic fellow, isn't he

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCndu7FHo7Q"]Scott Adkins (Boyka) Best Undisputed Kicks - YouTube[/ame]

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Scott Adkins is awesome. He's starred in... four movies with Van Damme now. This Universal Soldier reboot, The Shepherd, Assassination Games, and Expendables 2. He's a lot more fun to watch than either Van Damme or Lundgren, in my opinion.

8. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

[Lundgren is actually a decent actor when given the right material.

It's definitely a flick I'll be checking out. And Adkins is always worth watching. Even in Ninja.

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

No.
    But I just noticed your ninja avatar. I actually recognize it! :D

10. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

It looks awful.

11. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Yes. I've actually been waiting for it.

I have the last one--Universal Soldier: Regeneration--on Blu-Ray. I definitely think it's above average for a straight-to-video action film.

I've never really cared too much for the original UniSol. But Van Damme is awesome. Bloodsport is seriously like my favorite movie of all time.

Bloodsport, Kickboxer and Double Impact are all great. The Quest is good. And I like a lot of his STV stuff as well.

Oh, and he can act. Somehow the rumor got started that he doesn't know how to do that. It's not true.

Lundgren's greatest role will always be as Ivan Drago. But his best acting can probably be seen in Showdown in Little Tokyo (which is also an awesome movie):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m42Xms3WQbM"]Showdown In Little Tokyo Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

12. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Ninja isn't as good as I was hoping it would be but it has its merits. I liked it enough to buy it.

If there had been just a FEW script changes then it could've been a really good movie.

13. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Do tell. Because I've been trying to figure it out for a while now.

14. Moosey

Ninja Terminator :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhB0jR6xVek"]ninja terminator - final fight scene - YouTube[/ame]

15. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Looks incredible.

16. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

I just saw UniSol: DoR in the theaters and was disappointed.The action scenes are too far apart,the plot made UndisputedIII's characters seem groundbreaking,and there are scenes in which people act that make you go "WHAT?!".
    I wouldn't recommend it.

17. the artist

the artist Valued Member

I think Scott Adkins is really talented and great fighter in movies
    He should do more movies
    I liked his movies undisputed, ninja was good and his movie el gringo was alright very simple and nice .
    Steven seagal is good fighter not a good actor though

18. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Maybe. Maybe not. You've probably seen him a lot more often than you realize, given that he's been a stunt stand-in for dozens of movies. But yeah, Undisputed 3 is probably his best showcase.

I didn't care much for this Universal Soldier. I watched it because I really like Scott Adkins. But, as mentioned up river, the fight scenes were few and far between. Too much scenery chewing and brooding in between.

Interesting to see Van Damme as a villain again. And Adkins does get a few fun moments on screen. But I'll be a lot happier once I get a chance to check out "Gringo."

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

agreed on bloodsport. seriously though, it's a really bad movie. but so bad, it's good.

i enjoyed jcvd more than i thought i would, because of the acting.

and also my favorite van damme of all time is 'hard target'. just something about it, plus it's a john woo.