United Studios of Self Defense

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Manila-X, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

I had a friend who trained in this one at a branch in Los Angeles.

It is large organization as it has numerous dojos in different states mostly in California.

Their style is more Shaolin Kenpo and whether it is a McDojo or not is questionable.

Anyone trained here?

http://ussd.com

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No but I checked out a sparring video. It's not exactly my cup of tea but I have seen a lot worse

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwQMBt70Lps&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwQMBt70Lps&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It looks like a version of the semi-contact/point scoring system - depending on the ruleset some allow sweeps and takedowns as a score and some don't

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I guessed as much, because when ever somebody got a love tap, the crowd "oooh'd" and I was thinking "But you didn't even rock him!".

6. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

This is the full documentary,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M71jwWa36eY"]United Studios of Self Defense: The Movie - A Video Swamp Found Object - YouTube[/ame]

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Looks like one of those documentaries you pay to have made about yourself.

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Something like Sandy Lyle in "Along Came Polly" :D

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

10. Almost A Ghost

Almost A Ghost Valued Member

It is... or was. That particular video was produced sometime around 1992. I used to watch it all the time when I signed up with them in spring of 1993.

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I resent their use of a bonsai in their logo. I mean, it could be a tree, but really.

12. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

I knew somebody who trained there. Used to go on about how they were the only authentic dojo that had links to the shaolin( because of course in the world of martial arts, the practices of a peaceful coalition of spiritual enlightenment seeking people matters the most :rolleyes: ) temple because the owners of the company bought a some statue and had the monks blessings to put it in the entrance to the temple.

However to my knowledge outside from what they claim there is no actual evidence that the monks do anything like what the USSD students study. Only claims made by the instructors. especially Shaolin kempo which could practically be translated to a double entendre meaning "Shaolin chinese."

On some other forums, I've heard people claim that people were forced to become instructors very quickly under some special instructor program. Some other nonsense like that. In Short- not good things. A company with a fudgy for shaolin monks and pretending to seem legitimate.

13. KempoKid52

KempoKid52 New Member

OK, I am very familiar with this company.

First, the sparring video is a the instructor division of the USSD tournament. The two sparring are trying to put on a show for students in the crowd.

USSD like any large organization has good instructors and bad instructors. Some schools are mcdojos others are not. Their claim in Shaolin roots is legit and certain schools teach more traditional forms than others. Tread cautiously though.

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well,about as legit as most systems which claim descent from Shaolin.Which is to say not.

Well folks.....

Their "history" page is a laugh riot. They present as history the same tired Shaolin stories which have been totally debunked as well as some other whoppers such as those concerning the debunked T'ai Chi founder.

I'd say poor scholarship but the term "scholarship" doesn't even apply to the junk they're professing. But let's not have research get in the way of marketing.

For many years some Kenpo practitioners have tried to claim their system as a Gung Fu when it's never been a secret nor a criticism that the various Kenpo are total hybrids of systems from different nationalities.Just adding a (poorly executed) Hung form doesn't change anything.

Sure,for a fee the temple will recognize a system as a descendant.Which means nothing.Kinda tantamount to those MA Hall of Fames we all know and love.

@ roninmaster-I don't understand how kempo (ch'uan fa) could be translated as "Chinese". Something to do with the written characters?

15. KempoKid52

KempoKid52 New Member

Dear Abbot of the Shaolin Temple and Religious leader of millions,

I'm going to give you some money to put statue announcing the legitimacy of the Shaolin heritage.

U Coo wit dat rite?

-USSD

I'm sure that's how it went down....

I'm not saying it's total legit, just more legit than most. There is some political elements to it. But anything other than a direct disciple can be said as the same argument.

Instructors in this organization range from "the Best in the style" to "shouldn't be teaching." Tread cautiously.

16. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57665

"Shaolin" claims aren't legit. A system from Okinawan and Japanese practices,neither having any verifiable links to Shaolin. Whatever CMA influence there was in the formative years in Hawaii would seem to be from southern China. What northern system which might possibly have some connection with Shaolin has actually been incorporated into SK in a recognizable way?

http://kempoinfo.com/articles/a-look-at-james-mitose/

http://www.tracyskarate.com/History/Chow.htm

Well,it doesn't matter anyway,the temple has no right to recognize anything/anybody as the lineage succession to the Shaolin system was given to So Doshin,who founded Shorinji Kempo.

At least that's what he claimed!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Ah yes. Because using the name-Shaolin, makes it more intriquing and authentic

Thus also, no actual verification can be obtained

18. T Mr.

T Mr. New Member

Shouldn't an organization have some responsibility to regulate and check the quality and content of there member schools?

19. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

that takes strong leadership. i've seen it in the aikido world with the usaf, where there is strong verification of someone's abilities to teach.

seems like there's a lot of martial arts organizations that just also want to get paid (like a franchise).