Union Flag / Union Jack

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by adouglasmhor, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

It's a Union Flag, the Union Jack is only on the Jackstaff of a boat. You have so much pride you do not even know the name of the flag [​IMG]

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ooooh...it's like an episode of QI.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

and i was quoting the boat variaiton of the word to symbolise my pride in coming fomr pompey :D

4. adouglasmhor

Portsmouth - with it's winning slogan "at least it's not Fareham".

5. Topher

Topher allo!

Let's not nitpick - we all know what is meant by Union Jack.

Either way the distinction you make is debatable.

6. adouglasmhor

No anyone who calls it the Union Jack is wrong if it's not on a ship, common usage is not the same as correctness, I served under it long enough to know. Thank you for your opinion but I am not interested.

Here is some statute from the Library of the House of Commons nowhere does it mention a Union "Jack" http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snpc-04474.pdf

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  7. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Calling the British flag the 'Union Jack' is pretty common over here. And yes, I know the difference..just letting you know how it's referred to in the USA...also, it doesn't even make a bit of difference.

8. Southpaw535

wow so i got a bit of widely unknown termnoligy wrong. Sooo how does that quesiton my overall patriotism?

9. adouglasmhor

You went on about British culture being under threat, then you showed how under threat it is by using inappropriate use of a term. The biggest threat to our shared culture is tabloid dumbing down, not immigration.

10. Custom Volusia

If someone called the US Flag an Ensign I wouldn't sit there acting all high and mighty about the term. It's still the flag.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  11. Custom Volusia

Bit of light reading:

"The Flag Institute, the vexillological organisation for the United Kingdom, stated that the term Union Flag is a "relatively recent idea". It also noted that "From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

12. Southpaw535

does it really matter? we all know whats meant by Union Jack. There are much better arguements you can make than trying to point score over a fumble in my terminology

13. Topher

Topher allo!

There is no legal basis for calling it the Union Flag, so neither is correct - in fact, there is no legal rules regarding the usage of the flag on land at all. The only rules are over its use at sea since that was what it was created for.

14. adouglasmhor

That link is direct to a UK law, on use of the flag in Northern Ireland (part of the UK in case anyone is confused) so it you are mistaken, there may be no Laws for the Flag on mainland UK but there are many traditions and bye laws and even planning regs . Also not everything that is right or wrong is laid down in law, before it was illegal to racially abuse someone it was still wrong for example.

15. Southpaw535

soo its "wrong" for people to call it a union jack bearing in mind thats the normal name for it? Theres old laws about tying up graffes in city centres and shooting taffs with bows but we dont follow them

16. adouglasmhor

Well it's not right, in my opinion, but what I made as an aside has developed into the main stream of this thread so I am not posting on the subject any more, Call it what you like but it is a flag, it's just a bit of cloth and possibly half the people who go on about it don't know what flag it is, I have heard several people over the years call it the English flag, it isn't that's the St. Georges Cross and England/English is not the same as Britain/British.

17. Topher

Topher allo!

And what law would this be?

The Union Jack only became the British flag through convention.

18. Southpaw535

I only came back about because I thought it a bit uptight that out of everything i wrote (most of which was crap) you chose to point out i used a term in wide public use instead of its proper name

19. adouglasmhor

Maybe this is more suited to your reading skills, it was written by primary school kids.

Interesting Fact:
    When the 'Union Flag' was first introduced, in 1606, it was known simply as 'the British flag' or 'the flag of Britain'.

1707 - during the reign of Queen Anne, the first Union Flag was by royal proclamation made the National flag of Great Britain, for use ashore and afloat. So not through convention but by royal proclamation, maybe Queen Anne read it out on her Christmas speech or something

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/geography/unionjack.html

Maybe we should have a Union flag thread so you can make up some more bone statements and I can refute them if they are untrue.

20. Southpaw535

its a flag. The reason i brought it up is becasue of what i fel it symbolises, does its proper name really matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.