uniforms

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by kabba kick, Dec 3, 2004.

1. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

how many different types of tkd uniforms are there? my school has the regular v neck white dobok,we dont use anything else,but at tourneys i always see the fold over ones or the black ones
    in tekken hwarang is wearing a sleevless one(damn i really wanna have that one instead :cry: )

what kind do you have? where can i get the sleeveless ones?

2. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

There are probably hundreds of variations on the uniform. But the only official TKD uniform is the one designed by the ITF. The one Hwarang wears on tekken is pretty cool.

3. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

"Only official TKD uniform" or "only official ITF TKD uniform"?

Gizmo

4. z2bass

z2bass New Member

Another official type is the WTF style of uniform. The WTF requires an approved uniform to test in South Korea. It is the black V-neck with nothing else or anything fancy. But I recomment using what you school uses because you might be in breach of a special dress code requird to test (i don't really know :))

5. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Three Uniforms...

Dear Sir,

There are three main uniforms of which most else will be a customized version of one of the three...

1. "Traditional" - This uniform is the standard "Karate" style uniform with the crossing lapel and ties on the sides

2. V-Neck (WTF) - The official uniform of the WTF is a pull over uniform which has no closing straps of ties as it is a "pull over" (the uniform in Tekken is a variation of this uniform)

3. ITF Official Uniform - This uniform is neither a cross over lapel or a v-neck. The lapel simply meets in the middle with a fastening device (usually velcro) and is then wrapped with the rank belt

As previously stated there are many variations of uniform color and design, all of which are merely "cusomized" versions of one of the three listed above (to the best of my knowledge)...

Traditional uniforms of both the ITF and WTF are white in color with black trim indicative of a degree holder. The simple colored uniforms (blue, black, red) are sometimes used by either Independent or Eclectic TKD schools, and the multicolored, sleeveless, abstract designs are usually utilized to stand out in tournament competition!

TAEKWON!
    SPOOKEY

6. Taekwonfox

Taekwonfox New Member

I suppose you could say the ITF Dobok would be the first official one as ITF Taekwon-do was the Taekwon-do GrandMAster Choi Hong hi developed.

7. Rabid Wombat

Rabid Wombat Curry Eating Fiend

Our new instrctor wears the traditional style (no ties, though) andf the rest of us wear the pullover v neck kind. He doesan't approve of us wearing black uniforms though (don't really know why). Before he came, we could wear any white T-shirt and white TKD pants, but I still wore my dobak anyway.

8. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

Taekwonfox: if you look through old editions of Gen. Choi's book you will find out that the official ITF uniform of today is a relatively new design. The first doboks used were exactly the same as Karate uniforms. Later there was the addition of a trim for black belts. The ITF doboks with velcro or zip came much later.

Regards

Gizmo

9. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Gizmo...

Dear All,

I second Gizmo's comment...I dont think the "Official ITF" doboks were introduced until the early eighties!

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

P.S. Where can you purchase traditional Uniforms without ties, I haven't seen those available since way back?

10. Taekwonfox

Taekwonfox New Member

Gizmo: My boyfriend (3rd Degree) has a copy of the ITF Encyclopedia and I have an ITF CD-Rom with all the pages from the Encyclopedia. I dont know if it is a second edition but all the doboks are official ITF doboks. its a really good book.
    Spookey: <i>I dont think the "Official ITF" doboks were introduced until the early eighties!</i>

I think they were introduced back in the early 70's as my instructor Master O'tool has photo's of himself from then. I could be mistaken however, but I am pretty sure that ITF Doboks came before the WTF doboks.

11. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

We have the fold over ones where the left goes over the right, would rather the V neck and sleevless would be good

12. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Fox...

Dear Sir,

I have referenced the Generals publication copyright 1973 and they are still wearing the old style "karate gi". I also asked my father who was promoted to ITF-International Instructor in 1975 and at that time they were still wearing the traditional cross over lapel!

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

13. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Since I train in WTF TKD, I wear the V neck uniform. There are different variations (different brands) and I personally find them better than the cross over lapel.

14. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

The type without ties are mostly Judo or BJJ type uniforms.

15. Rabid Wombat

Rabid Wombat Curry Eating Fiend

Hmm, I have a Judo uniform with ties though...

16. korean

korean New Member

How many do you have? I have 2.

The adichamp is my favorite. Hands down.

17. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

V neck uniforms are really comfortable. Some of them are really light and sweat absorbent.

I have 4 uniforms the one that I like the most is my Adichamp.

18. korean

korean New Member

Adichamp rocks :)

I also wonder where people get their belts?

19. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

I have a plain red belt, but when I get my black belt I am going to get an Adidas.

20. KO_Artist

KO_Artist New Member

Sleeveless uniforms

I have a sleeveless uniform i Got From AWMA (association of world martial arts) and you can get them from Century or RevGear :woo: