Uniform snobs?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Knight_Errant, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

well yeah, but the whole 'you must wear your gi or you're not a proper martial artist' thing is a bit wearying.

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Strange. I've never come across that attitude in anyone, but then again, i wear a gi.
    You can't tell a book by it's cover, nor martial artist by his clothes.
    that's my five pence worth of wisdom.

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Any proper MA'ist knows it doesn't matter what you wear, its how you wear it! ;)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

:eek: ... you mean if I'm butt naked I'm still a martial artist??!!!!
    LoL:D

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Oh yes and much much more! :D

6. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

7. Knight_Errant

Yeah, you are a martial artist butt-naked, and a very pretty one I bet (feel free to slap me at this point)- and when sensei gives an adult karateka pushups for not wearing his gi, what else is he saying than 'you must wear the gi'?

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Follow the rules like everyone else or **** off?

9. Knight_Errant

well, yeah, if the man wants you to wear a gi, why not do it. or alternatively, you can in fact **** off and find somewhere new.

10. darlph

darlph New Member

You know, I follow the rules at the dojo when I am training or teaching. At home, anything that is comfortable. I agree some of the gi aka unforms, get expensisive. I always have the basic white and black ones for teaching. I have older more comfortable ones for class. You don't have to advertise you're a martial artist, you can do that by your actions.
    You signed up for the classes why not respect the rules? Just like school, they don't allow you to wear certain things, if you do that you're only asking for attention. And in reality, it's not good attention.

11. Knight_Errant

I respect rules in karate clubs I dont want to get kicked out of, but not in schools I do...

12. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

I hate the gi top too. We only have to wear the pants and a shirt. Although we wear it during children classes because the parents like to see their little monsters in pajamas!

13. Knight_Errant

hee hee...

14. RedDragon

RedDragon New Member

I'm going to jump in and give my opinion...
    I am a traditionalist... I believe that a Gi is the only garment that we should train in when in the Dojo. We had the opportunity to train in our Gi pants, and our Club T-shirts, but we decided against it, but like I said, we are traditionalists.
    Just my $0.02.

15. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I think that the uniform might actually work out to be cheaper than buying t-****s that just get ripped far easier. Also saves the instructor from some brainless idiot who wears a $60 t-shirt to class, rips it, and then flys into a rage.

Uniforms don't bother me, I've spent most of my life wearing school uniforms, and it cuts down on social differences between people. In a uniform, everyone looks the same, no matter how much money they have.

16. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I think a uniform is great. its light, baggy, i can move well in it. It feels good, and if it gets messed up, oh well thats what its made for. Here in the states you can get a light dobak (uniform) for 11-20 us dollars. You can even get them in many designs and colors.

17. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Dress according to what you are going to do. If you are going to do Judo, you need a gi because you need to be able to grab it.

If you graple no-gi, no need to wear a gi. T-Shirts occasionally rip, but not often. Or go with the Lycra ;)

If you are not grappling... You don't need a gi!

Unless your school says you do, then you do.

I don't like them, well I like the pants. Seen to many track pants and sweats split. But there are other options.

I don't like a belt, and a gi without a belt doesn't stay done up. Come to think of it a gi with a belt doesn't stay done up....