underworld evolution

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by samuri-man, Jan 22, 2006.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

yep i saw underworld evolution yesterday i thought it was wicked what did you think ? they did a great job of marcus :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  2. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Warning spoilers....

An ok follow up to the 1st one. I felt it was kind of like chinese food though. Momentary satisfaction but you're left wanting more.

The 1st one did a good job in describing the entire Underworld hierarchy, characters and the whole vampire lifestyle in general. This one seemed to be just about the action and nothing else. Very little plot development imo.

Action and SFX were outstanding compared to the 1st one. But what can you expect from going from a $5 million dollar fx budget to a $50 million dollar one? I agree that Marcus was well done but something didn't make sense to me. I missed the 1st 5 minutes but I doubt it explained why Marcus was a hybrid as well? Does drinking werewolf blood count? I thought you had to be bitten by both to become a hybrid.

And why could Marcus' brother bring down a helicopter with his strength but couldn't break out of a coffin with chains made hundreds of years ago. If they were silver lined, or maybe sometype of silver powder he was breathing in that kept him in a coma I would understand but it never explained that.

The 1st one did a good job of setting up the main story of this one. I knew that coming into this movie that Marcus would be coming after Selene. This one had very little set up into the 3rd. The dialog at the end seemed to a be a forced way of them saying "of yeah there's gonna be a 3rd one." I mean who's the antagonist in part 3? No set up or nothing... I'm assuming that Selene's "Evolutuion" will be a big deal in part 3 but to what affect? And I gotta wait 2-3 years to find out? When Matrix 2 did the continuation thing it was because Matrix 3 was gonna be out a few months later.

And what kind of makes me mad is the fact a lot of these things could have been answered. I mean the 1st movie was 2 hours long. This one was just a shade over an hour and a half and it showed. The director, producer, writer or whomever could easily have used 15 more minutes to answer alot of questions...

I did like how Selene showed more of her vampire abilities in this one against those troops in the forest as well as all the fight scenes. When Michael used the chain and practically used the werewolf as a ball and chain against the truck. All the fight scenes were very well done culminating in simultaneous dual fight scene with Michael versus Marcus's brother (William? I think it was) and Selene versus Marcus.

I know I focused mainly on the negative things but I actually liked the movie. As a regular movie goer and viewing it as an action flick I was very entertained. But being a fan of the Underworld mythology/franchise. I gotta say I was disappointed because I expected so much more.

3. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

yeah you see because marcus was corvines' son he could openly contract lycanthropy and because he was already a vampire he became a hybrid, after victor smashed the werewolf guy and his blood drained into marcus'coffin thingo, and marcus pulled the helicopter down not his brother william, allthough i thought selene should have gain mach more power then she did from the legacy

4. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Spoilers again....

Yeah, I guess that's what the explanation for Marcus being a hybrid is supposed to be. It just doesn't make sense to me. Getting bit I understand but drinking doesn't seem like it would transfer the virus'.

I could have sworn it was William that pulled down the helicopter. Oh well, I guess that makes a little more sense but I still think a werewolf (especially the 1st werewolf) should have been able to break free of a centuries old chains and a coffin.

Well the time from when Selene she drank Corvinus' blood was just a few hours and it made her immune to sunlight so I imagine that more changes can occur. I just hope she don't end up looking like Michael and Marcus. That would be a real shame ;)

She was kicking major ass in the woods so I'm eager to see what else changes with her, I'm positive that we'll see more of what the corvinus blood does to her in part 3.

One of the bigger irks I had with the 1st one (but still pretty minor) was how the vampires most of the time seemed to be just humans with guns against the werewolves. Selene using her agility and speed faster than those troops could see in the woods was awesome (she was practically teleporting) and showing how strong she was (grappling with the werewolf until she could reach the silver knife) was another coolness moment.

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Try the spoiler tags, guys. They really work [EXPAND=""]See?[/EXPAND]
    I enjoyed the first one and I imagine I'll like this one just as much. Possibly due to Kate Beckinsale jumping around in a latex suit :love:

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

That's one reason I like it and its a latex suit and a corset :cool:
    Found the film a bit slower than the first one.

7. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i just watched this and i must say that it is definatly not as good as the 1st one for all the reasons listed allready. as for the 3rd film, if thay make it, i think it will focus on the child of selene and michael. a super hybrid

8. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

well this one is alot longer i thought after seeing the first one "is that it"

9. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I'll watch it and own it just for Kate Beckinsale :D :D

She's just HOTTTTTTTTT!!!

Attached Files:

10. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Plot holes be damned, it has Kate Beckinsale running about in a PVC outfit, that's pretty much all the story I need. :love:

11. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

I watched Laurel Canyon four times just because she was in it. Plus, I'm a big fan of Underworld. I can't wait 'til I get home and head to the theatres.

12. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

spolier

I watched on saturday and i think it was a good film. it was a bit vague in areas and the power she inherits from Corvinus' blood was not exactly thrilling. i thought it would of been more than being a bit more powerful and resistant to sunlight.