Un-ordinary Training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sandninjer, May 29, 2013.

1. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Have you performed any special or out-of-the-ordinary training as a part of any of your martial arts classes? What kind?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I taught improvised weaponry with plastic bags and tins of soup once...it was quite funny!

3. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

For a short while I went to a school that was based out of a gym owned by an Elvis impersonator. Once as part of our training, we rode in his "limo" to a baseball game where he performed, and acted as his "karate bodyguards" as part of his show. That was pretty out of the ordinary.

At the same school, they had us do a drill where we walked on a balance beam with the lights out. The other students (hopefully) would catch us if we fell. Also, we would practice sparring in the dark, with our night vision being ruined by the lights being cut on at random times.

The Elvis thing was much more stressful.

4. OselLing

OselLing Valued Member

We had a slow motion gang fight, that was interesting.

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Blindfold defences against grabs

Defences while wearing a rucksack

Defences while unable to use one arm

Defences against zombies and other horror villains (Halloween is great when you combine it with martial arts nutters)

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Does chair jousting count?

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I don't see how it couldn't count!

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

One of the best training exercises I've done is what we called the gauntlet.

We all had our sparring gear on, one person would walk between two rows of other people, and some would attack them and they had to quickly defeat them. My sensei decided to have some fun with me and have everyone there attack me at the same time.

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To use your toe push kick to kick on a small life tree will be a good one. To use your shin bone to bite into that tree trunk will be another one.

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I'v sparred in the upstairs lounge of a pub with weight lifting mats on the floor does that count lol

11. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Did the mats resist, or were they overly compliant?

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I did some Ninjutsu with resistance one time. We had to call a stop early due to the risk of death etc..

13. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I love your sense of humor, keeps me on edge always wondering if you're joking or not :)

14. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I did something also like what Grass hopper said, something like the gauntlet. Except there is a circle and each of the members of the circle have a number. One person is in the middle, and our instructor will call out a number. The person in the middle will have to spar full contact, or at least the person originally in the middle can try, (the ones making the circle will be going full contact). If person in the middle runs into the walls of the circle, he gets pushed into a straight punch, (they had like the greatest synergy, always pushing once the person was ready to throw their straight). Then another number is called. On and on and on, I forget how long. We don't call it the gauntlet though. We kind of just refer to it as a "Rite of Passage" or "Earning Your Keep".

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP)

Worst martial arts training I have ever had, lets make a list for why (which is also why it's highly unusual)

1.) No actual instructor. A Non Commissioned Officer was given a syllabus with drawings on how to do something, and makes up a way to make the people "training" look like the picture. (Not every time, but it was ludicrous the 4-5 times it did happen)

2.) Most MCMAP training involved standing there with a partner, and doing "body hardening" (sitting there trading blow for blow in non vital areas really).

3.) You scream "Marine Corps!" after a punch, and are told to "twist your foot" with the punch. While you do this with a punch, the way they showed it was more trying to twist your own leg off by making it go 360 degrees. (This was bootcamp)

4.) Unless you have some guys with prior fighting experience in TMA, MMA, or another combat sport, it is essentially a group of guys getting together learning how to fight. Seeing as we don't condone "back yard dojos" by people with no experience on MAP, I think this qualifies as 'unusual.'

*** Comments do not apply to MCMAP where it is actually trained legitimately and consistently in the 1 or 2 random places in the Marine Corps.

16. GoldShifter

Body hardening works, not really in the way it sounds, but it is more of increasing the pain threshold to places where you are going to be hit normally. Like how you take a punch to the gut very often. If you trade blows to the gut with somebody, it will 1, hurt less, and 2, you'll know how to take it, when the poop really hits the fan.

17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

GoldShifter,

You know what the monkey line is in Kajukenbo training. The training with the circle and the one in the middle is a form of the kangaroo ring.

Old school kangaroo ring could be used to teach respect, the one in the middle being beat up for being disrespectful. Anyway, it might not be called kangaroo ring anymore, I don't know.

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree. A "once a random time in a two month period: get together to train MCMAP, where you have one guy stand with his legs open and tell another person to kick the other guy (hard) on the inside of the the thigh 4 or 5 times isn't body hardening though :p.

I like body hardening through sparring and bag work honestly. I don't like the idea of just sitting there and letting somebody hit you. While that works, you could easily be working your skill set and body hardening at the same time (called sparring : P). Just not a big fan of it.

19. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Let's see, is this unusual?

- Mind control (don't know what exactly else to call it)
    - No touch throws (air techniques)
    - Making animal sounds and other yelling (kiai-jutsu)

Okay, I could see some merit in the training, but didn't really invest the time to really know what was going on.

Many think this kind of stuff is only psychologically induced, but I believe there is a genetic link to how it works too. Maybe someday a gene will be found to tell how effective some of this stuff is going to be on someone.

20. GoldShifter

Hehe, we never learned what it was actually called. But yes, that is exactly what was happening. A different version of it is reserved for bb testing. :p Once again your extensive knowledge of Kajukenbo has saved the day :D