UK Mirror:Britain's oldest pub under pressure to change its name

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by matveimediaarts, May 21, 2015.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I do declare! A number of our British friends have gone the way of the Americans and become utterly silly lampoons of themselves. LOL!! :D

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-oldest-pub-ye-olde-5727096

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

What bollocks

3. matveimediaarts

Aye, but I've found that human stupidity knows no bounds or borders.:bang::eek::) I've heard of some really wild stuff that goes on in continental Europe and Russia.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Yes, we're all completely mad over here. None of your new-fangled American sanity for us, thank you very much.

5. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

Peta are always good fun. A few years ago they descended en masse upon a junior fishing match (less chance of being beaten and drowned by 8-12 year olds) and stole all the maggots. Being Peta they couldn't bring themselves to kill the maggots so they released them into the "wild" behind the Student Union where they had their meetings. A few days later the whole building was lifting with swarms of bluebottles, the kitchens had to be shut down and Peta were banned from the premises.

They have never been big on thinking things through...

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

A similar(ish) situation was when animal rights activists freed lots of farmed mink in this country and released them into the wild. They continue to munch their way through our native species of wildlife to this day.

While I sympathise with the ideals of the animal rights 'movement' to a degree, I do think that they could do with knowing a bit more about the animals they are concerned about sometimes.

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

To be fair, when it says "under pressure to change their name", it means "PETA sent them a letter suggesting it". Not exactly like the government's threatening them with prison time or anything.

8. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

Maybe they could just change the picture under the name...

9. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

True but pubs are always under pressure, I would never trust a brewery not to change the name to something idiotic just for the publicity. I wonder why Peta are not going after Tottenham Hotspur?

10. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

When I first read that on a news feed I thought that someone was offended by it for another reason:D

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I think we had our swords crossed on that one.

12. matveimediaarts

LOL :D

I never claimed there was such a thing as sanity in US politics(See the side note in the OP... also, 8 major wars in less 200 years, and all unnecessary! :eek:). That's the major reason I would secede if it were practical. But if you believe so, I shan't try to stop you.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

PETA actually causes more harm than good to animal rights IMO. They are just so stupid in what they protest and how they go about it.

I am all for animal rights, but not a PETA fan.

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

There's a lot of people in the animal rights movement who don't like them either. They have some pretty dodgy practices regarding stray animals in their animal shelters amongst other things. Not as holy as they would like to make themselves out to be.

It's a bit of shame as it's often the first organisation that springs to mind when people say "animal rights groups".

I'll dig out the info later.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If PETA want to remove references to blood "sports" then they got a lot of work to do.
    "Underdog", "Come up to scratch" and "end of your tether" are all blood sport references.
    The Bullring in Birmingham will need renaming.
    Bull breed dogs will need to be called something else.

16. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Retro 3-D glasses wearing Terrier would be an awesome name.

17. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com.au/2009/03/petas-dog-shelter-is-really-slaughter.html

This pretty much says why I don't like PETA.

18. matveimediaarts

Have there been any new developments in this story, amigos? Google turns up nothing.