UK Law on head covering in public places

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Oct 15, 2015.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

What is the law in the UK with a covered face in the UK? Things like Bike Helmets, Balaclavas, etc. In a supermarket or shopping center?

I googled it and found an article about a bill in 2014 about petrol stations but nothing really concrete.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Did my own google found this link on a hunt saboteur site which boils down to a constable can ask you to remove a balaclava (and I'd assume any face covering) at any time.
    Out of interest , why do you ask ?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Most places ban them and will tell you to remove them. Whether it's the law or not I don't know, but I had the right to kick people out of the store I worked if they had them on so it works out the same either way

4. CrowZer0

A friend got into an argument with a security guard today at Tesco for refusing to remove his helmet, (he had it flipped up). I was under the impression any head coverings in public had to be removed but couldn't find the law to back it up.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Law of the land aside, as Tesco is a private company they have ROAR on dress code and deportment so he doesn't have much of an argument

6. CrowZer0

His argument was during store opening hours the store is a public place and he won't be told what to do in public.

7. Hannibal

It isn't though - it is private property and your friend has no case

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'm rusty on my UK law, but as far as I'm aware there are fairly specific limitations in which a section 60a can be applied. Predominantly, such use of authority (if memory serves) is typically reserved for cases where there is "imminent potential" for violence and/or public disorder (such as riots).

Outside of that, I do believe the police have very limited powers to actively remove headgear/covers in a public place.

This of course changes drastically when you're on private property (such as banks) where they may have their own rules & the laws work differently. And I'm not 100% sure on the procedure if someone is actually arrested. Mushroom should be able to clarify on that one further.

I'm pretty sure that's loosely accurate, though it's been a couple of years since I brushed up on the statutes and I admit I may have gotten some details wrong.

Doesn't work. As Hannibal pointed out, Tesco is basically private property in the same way railway stations and banks are. That they have public access does not stop it being private property and the staff, acting on behalf of the company at that time, do have the right to complain.

9. CrowZer0

10. LemonSloth

You might want to check more recent statutes on that one, but I do believe that one has been amended to include a variety of exemptions. Gimme a few minutes, I'll see if I can find the relevant bits.

11. CrowZer0

The law is the reason why you can be arrested for having an offensive weapon in a public place no? Wheras you can have one on a private property.

12. Hannibal

13. LemonSloth

Bit of a false equivalence, isn't it?

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

No, I can't walk into my neighbours house with a machete and then tell the police I'm on private property so they can't touch me.

Shops belong to the business owners, even though some public order offences may apply to them as public spaces, and they don't have an obligation to allow anyone in, as long as they are not breaking anti-discrimination laws.

That's AFAIK, anyway.

15. CrowZer0

I'm relaying his arguments and links via Whatsapp not mine.

16. LemonSloth

Ah, gotcha.

But no, you can't "simply" have a weapon on private property and that's it. In every case, you'd need the permission from the owner to have that weapon there at least as a minimum.

Going into a bank or a railway station with a weapon (for example, which is private property) isn't the same as having a weapon in the privacy of your own home.

17. CrowZer0

His new argument is "Being privately owned and being a public place are not mututally exclusive". (talking about the legislation that classifies tesco as public)

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's true, but "public place" is not the same as "public property".

19. CrowZer0

He says the law doesn't have any relevance to this aside from what he personally considers a public place, I.E. areas in which he can get done for indecent exposure, wearing a helmet that doesn't cover his face isn't against the law, it isn't against their company policy either excluding petrol pumps.

I should add, after the argument with the security guard, a manager was called over and told him he can keep his helmet on and the "overzealous" guard wasn't very pleased.

20. LemonSloth

Then problem solved, really. The security guard wasn't outside the bounds of the law by asking him to remove his helmet (presumably for security purposes). But if the manager said it was fine, then it was fine.

:dunno: