UK knife law

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by zombiekicker, Jul 21, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

This is my point, shouldn't I be able to carry a weapon for defensive purposes

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The power of "Officer Discretion" is one of the least utilized, yet best tools in the arsenal of an LEO - unfortunately what one is happy to let slide and "advise" on (and I did a LOT of that with everday folk) another enforces to the letter of the law

This does nothing to stop confusion about laws around blades, so the best advice i can offer is if you have no reason don't carry....and I am a blade fiend saying that!

3. Hannibal

It is a fine line between "for defense" and "tooled up" - that is why the UK system aired on the side of being able to enforce against offenders

Well in theory at least

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Just get good at running away and punching people then

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

You're probably more likely to escalate a situation by using/producing it or be unable to reach it under pressure than effectively use it in a genuine situation of need.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its not illegal to have fixed blades etc at home, its only the carrying of them in public thats illegal, without good reason, I think thats not a bad balance law, if people get prosecuted there tends to be a good reason.

7. Hannibal

Pretty much...even post arrest the COS will bin a lot of the "unwarranted" cases

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

This^^

I carry a folder. I have at times swapped that out for a small fixed blade. Just like the UK you have to be able to justify why you have them. I have them for a reasonable and explainable purpose but the chances of me actually having to answer that question are essentially nil because I'm not doing anything stupid with them or anything to warrant being searched.

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Well considering the wilderness that you call home mate I'm not surprised that you want to carry something...

;' )

LFD