UK knife law

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by zombiekicker, Jul 21, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

No been there, it wrecks your jeans

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Nope. I don't think you would stand a chance with that excuse for a fixed blade.

Leatherman or Swiss army type, or some other non-locking folders are the only ones you can get away with, AFAIK.

I have a non-locking <3" folder that I use for camping/bushcraft, but I keep it in a bag, deliberately tucked away with my fire kit so that if I ever did get questioned about my intentions I could argue that it is not easily accessible enough to be useful as a weapon. It also makes it very unlikely that anyone could use it against me.

I would never just go into town with a knife on me, because it is hard to justify, and I have no need for one in that environment.

Coppers are pretty good at smelling manure. People lie to them every day.

Better to genuinely intend to follow the law. Staying out of prison and keeping a clean record should be part of your self-defence precautions.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

As that's a fixed blade its illegal.

4. David Harrison

Unless you could argue you had good and lawful reasons to carry it.

If I own a bushcraft store, I could be stopped with a truck load of Bowie knives and it could be perfectly legal.

Likewise, if I am on my way home from a knife shop with a Bowie knife, that could also be perfectly legal.

5. Dead_pool

But neither apply in this case,

With no legal reason, a sub 3 inch non locking folding penknife is fine.

A fixed blade needs a good legal reason.

The fact it's a neck knife means those reasons don't apply.

6. David Harrison

Yes, for zombiekicker's question that applies.

I was just making the point that the law is not as clear-cut (pun not intended) as that.

7. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I'm not wearing it on my neck :)

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

On consideration the safest place to stab someone is in the arm, in prison, in hospital

9. David Harrison

It makes no difference.

We're just trying to keep you out of prison buddy :)

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Done that , it's boring, full of mugs, not saying it to be hard, had a bad period in 90s

11. Dead_pool

Its not a work knife, its a fixed blade, its illegal.

Neck knives are designed to be concealled, that will definitely count against you if caught.

Also having a blade doesn't protect you from getting attacked, its more likely to escalate a situation.

12. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

Fixed blades aren't automatically illegal. If you can show a good reason for having it, then you should be ok. (Not a lawyer either)

13. David Harrison

But "opening boxes" is not a good reason. That was the point.

Good reasons for carrying a locking, fixed, or >3" blade are few and far between. They will almost certainly need corroborating, so they had better be genuine.

14. Dead_pool

[
    Did you not read my previous post.

Without good reason, fixed blades are illegal, ZK has no good reason, so its illegal

15. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

Very true. It's a really grey area, Even carrying a leatherman (or similar) puts you straight into the "good reason" category for most of their models.

16. Dead_pool

A leatherman is much more a tool, so your excuse is more likily to be belived, but a neck knife isnt a tool.

Also ZK has already said he's carrying it for protection, he's already mentioned he has a history of mental health issues, has been in jail, and is likely has issues with alcohol, carrying a knife is not a good move in this situation.

17. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

Yes, but in the wording of the Act, both fall into the same category i.e. requiring a good reason.

I'm in no way advocating carrying a knife (or anything else for that matter) for protection.

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

When you put it like that, I don't need a knife anyway lol

19. Dead_pool

You need a good reason for fixed, locking or over 3 inches.

In this case, ZK has no legal reason, and has already admitted a illegal reason.

20. Dead_pool

Just concentrate on getting better mate, your kid(s) need you alive and well.