UK knife law

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by zombiekicker, Jul 21, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Right can someone clear this up, am I allowed to carry a just under 2 inch neck knife, or is any bladed/ edged weapon illegal?

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Anything that can be used as a weapon and that you don't have any justifiable reason to be carrying other than its potential as a weapon is illegal under British law, if my understanding is correct.

3. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Pen it is then since its mightier than the sword, though I wouldn't fancy my chances against musashi with a biro

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

5. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Unless you get a good lawyer lol

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Me neither, but the rozzers will still bang him up if he's carrying a pen that is designed to be used as a weapon:

Attached Files:

7. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I've got a pen that has a ruler and a spirit level on it, with screw top screwdriver on it, it's solid steel, reckon I'd get away with that

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

This

Attached Files:

9. David Harrison

Depends on what you get caught doing with it, and if you have a convincing reason to carry it.

If you end up in court and the prosecution see this thread, you're not going to get away with it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

It's for making sure I'm level headed and measuring my hair

11. David Harrison

If you're going to risk prosecution for carrying a weapon, might as well go for broke ;)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vycUFoQChqY"]Legitimate Businessmen's Gear - Heckler Koch MP5K Briefcase - YouTube[/ame]

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Carrying of an offensive weapon is kept broad for things like this.

Also its the intention of use.

A butcher in full kit can carry his tools with him if hes going straight to work.
    A Sikh in full traditional dress can carry their sword.

Whilst Military and Police can carry their respective weaponary on duty.

Essentially, if you're walking around in a expensive suit, carrying a knife. That knife being the sole purpose to stick it in someone, then its illegal. The other issue is...getting caught with it.
    Are you whipping it out? Are you threatening anyone with it? Stuff like that...

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I habitually carry a small leatherman (not a small leather man) on my keys.
    It's fold up scissors, a small blade, screw drivers, something for removing stones from horse hooves, etc).
    While I use it all the time (opening packaging, wittling magic wands for my kids, etc) I don't have a real "use" for it beyond it being "useful" in and of itself.

How do I stand carrying that about the place?

15. embra

embra Valued Member

I would argue that if you have time to whip out a sharp instrument, you have time to whip off your jacket, which could be a more effective and legal weapon.

16. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Only ever be for defence, or people blocking me from meat in sainsburys

17. David Harrison

Could you ever see yourself having to explain its use as a weapon in court, or to a police officer?

18. David Harrison

I think people blocking aisles in supermarkets is fine.

But saying it's for "defence" doesn't wash - you just showed your intent to use it as a weapon.

19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Or just knock em out, thinking about it, I watched a inasanto vid where he stabbed cop about 20 times before he could get his gun out,. I personally am in favour of empty hand training, since you can't carry in the uk

20. David Harrison

I think so.

It takes away all that fuss and hesitation about deciding to draw your weapon, and really, how much of an advantage would it give and how much do you need?