UFC 99 predictions/results

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Before we begin:

If you post results, remember to use spoiler tags until 24 hours after the event!

Offending posts, per the new MAP policy, will be deleted.

The event is less than 24 hours away, and is the first UFC event in Germany, or even on mainland Europe for that matter. So the significance of it is kind of a big deal. Quick rundown of the fights.

Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva: These two veterans are heading in different directions, with Franklin establishing himself at 205 and Wanderlei moving down to MW. As such, this match is being held at a catchweight of 195lbs, which on paper does nothing for the divisional rankings. Of course, Zuffa seems only mildly concerned about such things. This one is hard to call for me, because I'm a diehard Silva fan. However, given the last five or so fights these guys have had, I would suppose that Franklin would have the easier time. He's got more reach, has better footwork, is a more cerebral fighter, and has learned to use his rear-side power weapons to great effect, most notably his rear body kick. Silva's style is still that of a caveman brawler, and even though Franklin has had problems with A. Silva's Thai clinch, Wanderlei spends far more time throwing big punches and tends to use the clinch to finish off already weakened opponents. My heart says Silva, but my intellect says Franklin takes this one.

Cain Velasquez vs. Cheik Kongo: two good heavyweights who might have a title shot after this fight. Velasquez is fearsome, but we haven't really seen him under pressure. Kongo is a fan favorite for his brutal striking, but can get taken down by a peewee football player. I think Cain with try to stand and trade, but end up taking a lot of punishment early on and decide to take the fight to the ground. I predict he'll keep it there and use his ground-and-pound to get a TKO. That said, Kongo has the power and speed to hurt him enough on the feet to back him up against the fence and get a TKO of his own. How Velasquez handles the pressure Kongo puts on him will determine the outcome of the fight.

Mike Swick vs. Ben Saunders: I haven't seen too much of Saunders, but he hasn't tasted defeat, and I think the confidence that brings may cost him the match. If Swick is back to his rapid-fire sharpshooting ways, he can punish Saunders over and over with punches. He'll have to stay out of the clinch, though, and watch out for Saunders' kicks. I just think Swick's experience and speed will give him an edge here.

Dan Hardy vs. Marcus Davis: Hardy is younger and more versitile on the feet. Davis is more rugged, has cleaner boxing, and is better on the ground. It's hard for me to go against Davis, but if Hardy mixes up his punches and kicks, he can create an opening to drop Davis. Although, like Paul Taylor, he'll have to beware of Davis' ground game. I'll actually pick Davis to win, just 'cause I like him more.

Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno: Another tough match to call. Fisher has the stand-up to take out anyone, but has trouble when he gets taken down and stiffled. Uno has the grappling skill to get on top and control the ground game. However, Japanese fighters tend to value putting on an entertaining fight over picking up a win. Given that, and the damage he's taken over the years, I predict that Fisher will land one of his patented flying knees before the third round after Uno decides that the roar of the crowd is more important than preserving brain cells.

Mirko Crocop vs. Mustapha al-Turk: al-Turk is being brought in as a sacrificial lamb for Crocop. If Mirko is on form, we're going to see al-Turk's head get kicked out in the stands. The thing is, Mirko's been very hot-and-cold since the Pride OWGP. It's entirely possible al-Turk will pull the upset, but I'm still going to give the edge to Crocop, based on the fact that he's normally hard to take down and has fought at the top of the sport. That, and the result of Mustapha's fight with Kongo.

Not gonna hit up the prelims, but considering how many striking matches we'll see on the main card, you can bet we'll see a few of them as the broadcast wears on.

2. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

Main Card Bouts:
    -Wanderlei Silva (32-9-1) vs. Rich Franklin (24-4): I want to say Silva, I really do, but I have a feeling Rich may pull this out late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd. Out of Wandy's 9 losses he has never been submitted, but he does have 5 (T)KOs. If Wand comes in with his killer instinct and ties Rich up in the Thai Clinch we could see Wand pull it out. I am really torn on this one.
    -Cain Velasquez (5-0) vs. Cheick Kongo (14-4-1): Cain is a great wrestler and has underrated boxing skills. Whether it be standing or on the ground Cain has the power to finish anyone. Cain can take it to the ground when he wants or keep it standing with his wrestling. Out of his 5 professional fights he has finished every opponent by (T)KO in the first round, but 1. This is Cain's biggest test and could go the distance. But did I mention he is a great wrestler? Cain by UD.
    -Spencer Fisher (22-4) vs. Caol Uno (25-11-4): Always liked Uno, but I think Spencer will take this one.
    -Mike Swick (13-3) vs. Ben Saunders (8-1-2): Swick by (T)KO
    -Marcus Davis (16-5) vs. Dan Hardy (21-6): Davis by (T)KO
    -Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (24-6-2) vs. Mustapha Al-Turk (6-4): I want to say Cro Cop by (T)KO, but his past performances in the UFC leave me with a UD feeling. Yeah, yeah I know how devastating his striking was in Pride, but when he's in the octagon it's as if he loses a step.