UFC 65 - Bad Intentions

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Rapid, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

http://65.ufc.com/

Hughes vs St Pierre Sylvia vs Monson

2 title fights, 4 great fighters, cant bloody wait

These are the only announced match ups so far (as if we need any more), so what does everyone think. We all know how amazing Hughes is but i think this is St Pierres time to take the title, he is so well rounded and isnt intimidated by Matt Hughes like he was in the first fight, if he does win it he's gunna be holding on to it for a long long time, as for Sylvia Monson it really could go either way, Sylvia's fought (and beaten) great wrestlers before e.g. Ricco Rodriguez but Monson is a superb wrestler and a beast so can Sylvia keep it standing and knock him out, im predicting a 3 round war with at least 1 takedown for monson but i think Sylvia will be able to stand back up or at least hold on long enough for the round to end, can a 5"9 guy really dominate a heavier 6"8 guy and overpower him, i guess we'll see, but i sure as hell no he cant strike with Sylvia, if anyone knows any more fights on the card or has any opinions on the current match ups please post

2. spirez

spirez Valued Member

I think GSP could take it. BJ Penn was all over Hughes in the first two rounds, it was only his conditioning that let him down.

3. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Ya, but Penn is better then GSP. I thought the desicion in the fight was ridiculous. If Monson can take Sylvia down I think he'll win. I guess we'll see who the better wrestler is.

4. Pacer_3

Pacer_3 New Member

Brandon Vera is fighting Frank Mir
    James Irvin is fightinig Hector Ramirez
    Those aren't completely official yet. Vera/Mir is supposed to be a #1 contender match

5. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Hughes didn't look overly impressive though until BJ got tired. Gonna be a good match eaither way.

Good to see Vera on the card, i enjoy watching him and reckon he will be world champ some time in the not too distant future

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

GSP ends Hughes reign
    Monson takes down Sylvia and submits him or TKO
    Vera KO Mir

7. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

Mir is very difficult to beat, his subsmission record is absolutly superb, beating people in under a minute consistantly, i think he'll take the match and possibly even the title when he gets the opportunity, he is one of the best guys in the business at seeing an opening and taking it very quickly to get the W, a future champ i have no doubts

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The Mir/ Vera fight could go either way if Mir could get himself in shape, but on his current form, I'm gonna say Vera by repeated knees to the face. His cardio's always been seriously bad, but if Mir comes in like he did in his last fight, Vera's going to ruin him worse than Freeman did
    I think it's St. Pierre's time, he's my favourite UFC fighter and I'd love to see him with the belt. He certainly had to go the long way to get this shot
    Sylvia/ Monson, I'd like to see Monson win, but he's going to have a very hard time getting Sylvia down. If he can, it's his fight, but he doesn't want to stand with a guy who's got nearly a foot on him
    Penn's rib injury has been confirmed here on the UFC's home page. On his form before the injury, I'm going to have to pick Penn for the inevitable rubber match

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  9. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Well in that case i wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to him fighting GSP for the world title!

10. mrsumo

mrsumo Invictus Maneo

I think it will be hughes over gsp. As close as the Penn fight was up to the end, Mr hughes will be training much harder. Although, with the recent Franklin upset, maybe the cards are telling us it's time for some new faces up on the podium.
    As for the heavyweights, I don't know why Monson even got a title shot. The maniac is going to make short work of the snowball..eh i mean snow man.

11. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

Vera is a good fighter but even if he does beat Mir theres absolutly no way he'll beat sylvia or monson if he gets a shot, anyway lets keep looking at ufc 65, im excited to see Brad Imes fight and how much he's improved, is Antony Hardonk a can with only 6 fights, if anyone knows anything about Hardonk then post up please

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Hughes is a beast. GSP is one of the best guys out there at only 25years of age.
    So its gonna be a tough one. GSP's comments to Hughes at the end of his last fight (obviously) didnt go down well. Saying he wasnt impressed whatsoever with Hughes win over BJ.

So I'm going to bite my lip and say GSP decision, with a lot of 'feeling' out process in the first round. Both guys know what each is capable of so itll be either similar to the Arlovski/Sylvia 3 fight or just a straight out brawl where both guys will tire themselves out.

On the subject of Sylvia.
    I have a feeling that Monson will take it. Either submission or TKO, it'll still be a hard fought victory, however with his 'contraversial' beliefs its not going to help the UFC PR people.

Monson claims he is an anarchist, complete with related tattoos and also rumoured to have been checked by the secret services.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Monson

It shoudlnt really matter, but it might be hard to promote him as their Champ :D

13. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Can't be any worse than Tim Sylvia as a Champion, maybe Monson will bring in the rebellious crowd.

This is a good card, should be exciting.

Monson vs Sylvia- should be good, either Sylvia will dominate on his feet or Monson will smash Tim on the ground. Either way it should be exciting.

GSP vs Hughes- Their names are enough

Stevenson vs Mishima- Joe Stevenson is very exciting and Mishima has a nice record so this should also be good

Vera vs Mir- Also should be thrilling, Vera has a very exciting style and when Mir is on his game he is also very exciting.

Those 4 fights alone are great...

Curious- Why in the world does the UFC not show the undercard fights? Even if they are boring, put them at the end of the show so the viewer can decide whether or not to watch it.

Or if that will cost them money, then show them on a SpikeTv show...Spike usually shows crap, so why not have a hour long show after a PPV event for the fights that were not shown..

14. Wigglyman

Wigglyman Valued Member

Yeh I mean the UFC Heaveyweight Division is so stacked...I can name you so many other people in it that deserve a Title Shot :rolleyes:

Sylvia should have a good reach advantage over Monson, shouldn't he? In which case he should be able to use range for strikes and defend the take-down...therefore Im going for Sylvia - KO

Vera will hopefully defeat Mir so we can finally have some competition in the Heavyweight Division, Vera - TKO

And hopefully GSP will defeat Hughes...no offence to Hughes but GSP is my hero!! But in all seriousness I do find it hard to look past a GSP victory...He has admitted he gave Hughes too much respect in their first encounter. With the added experience he has gained I think GSP will finally win the title.

Remember the last fight? He was dominating Hughes...Hughes never looked close to a take down and GSP was dominating in the stand-up, even landing his back-kick (which is really hard to throw and not get take-down by someone let along Matt F'N Hughes!!)...that is until he got caught by Armbar, which proves you cannot count out Matt Hughes, GSP - Decision.

15. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

He does have a large reach advantage, but Monson is a world class grappler and Sylvia has never impressed me with his takedown defense.

I would not be at all surprised if Monson just bull rushed Sylvia and took him down.

16. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

Ricco Rodriguez couldnt take sylvia down and he's a brilliant wrestler, just cos his technique doesnt look to good doesnt mean its not effective.

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Monson's got a better chance than most for the takedown because A) he's the best takedown artist Sylvia's faced and B) he's short enough that he could potentially shoot in low past Sylvia's hands
    How many other UFC heavyweights have actually won two fights in a row, recently? There's no one else for Sylvia to fight, realistically. The UFC seems to operate on a "one loss, you're out" format with their heavyweights aside from Arlovski or Mir (which is stupid since their division's such a joke) and they're being sensible and taking their time bringing Vera out

18. Wigglyman

Wigglyman Valued Member

So either he is gonna take him down or we will see a Liddell v. Sobral repeat!

19. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

As far as title fights are concerned, Monson certainly has the tools, and Sylvia has never been all that impressive on the ground. Despite that, I think Sylvia will take Monson, keeping Monson on the end of his ridiculous reach. Sylvia by way of dancing snoozefest.

GSP vs. Hughes II. Been waiting for this one for way too long. I dont think Hughes can handle GSP's riddum. GSP did quite well against Hughes in the first match, until he got caught. GSP since then, has shown tremendous improvement. Hughes is the same Hughes, very good, but I don't see him stopping GSP. GSP grinds out a decision.

Of the undercards, the one that interests me the most is Mir/Vera. I'm a fan of Vera and want to see him take this. The question is Mir's cardio. A focused, in shape Mir could be a long night for Vera. However, we haven't seen that Mir in a while. I'll call it Vera by way of KO.

20. spirez

spirez Valued Member

I heard a rumour that Michael Bisping may be fighting too, can anyone confirm this?

He dominated on TUF 3 but has been injured since, as far as i know. Will be good to see the Brits with a decent fighter on the show!