UFC 46 picks

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ninjadeath, Jan 20, 2004.

1. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

Randy Couture vs Vitor Belfort
    I think this fight is going to be one those good wrestler with submission defense beating the BJJ stylist. I don’t see the stand up being a factor much in this fight. Randy trains well for strikers; Vitor and Chuck know this personally. The only difference I see between this fight and the first one is that Vitor is in better shape and won’t gas so easily. I think this fight will go to decision and that decision will be for Randy. Vitor will do better from his back than Tito did, and might be able to get it back to a standing position when Randy tries to pass Belfort’s guard, or if Belfort tries to throw up a submission and Randy tries to pass off of that. Other than that Vitor’s gonna be on his back most of this fight protecting his face.

Matt Hughes vs BJ Penn
    Wow, what is Penn thinking? Who in their right mind would move UP in weight to fight Hughes? Matt Hughes is probably as strong as any middle weight, or a lot of light heavies for that matter. The only chance he has is by putting some of those heavy hands he has to Matt’s head really fast and maybe catch him with an uppercut when Hughes goes low for a shot. The only problem with that is that Matt’s takedowns are lightning fast. Matt won’t get caught in BJ’s subs, Matt will overpower Penn, and this fight won’t last more than three rounds.

Frank Mir vs Wes Sims
    Mir will tap Sims within in the three rounds givin. Mir can submit just about anybody. I think Mir getting knocked out by Freeman was a fluke and even if not, Sims only has one TKO so I see this going to the ground quickly and often, and when it does, Mir has the advantage. Mir is the only guy to tap Pete Williams. Williams couldn’t be tapped by TK, Kondo, or Ricco Rodriguez.

Jorge Rivera vs Lee Murray
    Rivera WILL get knock out On January 31st. Rivera has beat a bunch of nobodies with the exception of the Loiseau, who put up a really poor performance that night. I personally saw that fight and I was very unimpressed with him. Murray on the other hand is the only person to straight KO Pele. Murray has even won by submission a few times and has a serious advantage on the ground, IF it goes there.

Carlos Newton vs Renato Verissimo
    Verissimo has never fought a fighter like Newton. Newton has an amazing ground game and a lot of experience in the bigger tournaments. I think Verissimo’s could win, but I don’t know what to expect from this guy with only a few fights. Newton has been TKOed in 2 out of his last 4 fights and could be ripe for another one, especially by somebody who has all of his wins by TKO. I just don’t know if Verissimo has the ground skills to take this fight. If I had to pick one, at this point I guess I would have to go with Newton because of his experience.

Karo Parisyan vs George St.Pierre
    After seeing Parisyan fight I have to say I love this kid. He has awesome takedowns and great submission skills. St.Pierre has never fought any really good submission guys so his subs don’t really mean a whole lot to me. If St.Pierre was a ridiculously strong wrestler like Sean Sherk I might give him more of a chance, but I think Karo will come out on top in this one.

Matt Serra vs Ivan Menjavar
    Whenever Serra has fought a relatively good grappler he has lost. This Menjavar guy has a lot of wins against a bunch of nobodies, but a many of those wins are by submission. Also Menjavar has a few TKOs under his belt and with the way Serra keeps his hands down in fights he might just get caught. I think Menjavar will take this fight.

Josh Thomson vs Hermes Franca
    Where do I begin with this one? Thomson’s stand up is far superior to Franca’s. Hermes has a nice right hand, but that is it. Josh is 23-1-0 with a mix of submissions, and knockouts. He also has an undefeated kickboxing record. Thomson is an expert in Shamrock Submission Fighting and I’m pretty sure he is a brown belt in BJJ. This fight comes down to these two fighters styles. Josh’s style is non-stop; he keeps coming at you the entire fight. Hermes on the other hand likes to play a really slow BJJ game that just does not really bring much to the table in this match. Franca has great submission skills, but he absolutely will not be able to tap Thomson. Thomson on the other hand can destroy Hermes in a stand up war. Josh by KO or TKO in the first or second round.

Yoda: Edited thread title to say picks not pics

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Looks like a solid card, I'd buy it just for Mir/Sims 2.

3. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

Sims is an a$$. His excuse for what he did was that he was training with Randleman and the training was under Pride rules. What a moron. He's lucky the UFC is letting him come back so quickly after that blatent disregard for the rules and the poor sportsman ship and disrespect he showed to the octagon afterwards.

4. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

My boy won in the UFC tonight. He's now one of the best LWs in the world. F*ck ya. AKA/Shamrock Submission is the best.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Damned bad lock for Randy C - rematch!!!!!!

6. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

LOL you did horrible in predicting those fights :p Just messing with you. I think I would have predicted about the same. They only showed the first 5 fights you have listed on PPV, so I dont know about the other three. But that was a very unpredictable night.

I want to see Murray fight Tito...I just love to watch Tito get the crap bet out of him. He may be a pretty good fighter, but IMO hes nothing great. And hes way too cocky and arrogant, he nevers shuts his mouth. Im looking forward to Chuck beating on him in April.

7. xubis

xubis New Member

Damn what a let down in the last fight! :(

8. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Great card full of great fights. I cannot fathom how badly Penn tooled on Hughes. Mir/Sims went exactly as I thought, minus the KO. Sims has no discernable skills.

9. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Yea sucks what happened in the last fight. OH well though as long as his eyes alright Im sure the will set up the rematch soon.

10. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

Everybody I know had horrible picks.
    There were so many upsets
    Weird event. damn