UFC 202

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Knee Rider, Aug 21, 2016.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

this

he cuts allot of weight, which normally has an adverse effect on cardio especially if done incorrectly, see any of aldos fights lol,

going into the fight at a weight closer to his natural weight and his training weight shouldn't have made too much a difference, and whilst i get the clinch can effect cardio he started blowing in the second and third rounds round and nate hadnt been clinching him that much up to then

McGregor himself has admitted in the past that he does have a hard time going down to 145 and that his natural weight class is probably 155,

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

There was only a 2 pound weight difference on the tale of the tape when I watched the fight. Not really a bigger opponent other than some reach/height difference.

LFD

3. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Although clinchwork should have been draining for Conor for the above mentioned reasons, his coach actually
    instructed him to initiate it, because he thought Mcgregor could use it to catch his breath and it seemed like it worked.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

When I fought at Battleborn I was allegedly 6'0" and had a longer reach than my opponent, according to their tale of the tape.

You could see the difference physically during the fight. Diaz looked like he got alot more weight on Conor and his natural size only made him look bigger.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that if you want a breather don't initiate clinch! It's tiring as hell.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  6. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

My memory is a bit fuzzy on the details, but weren't there several cases where a single fighter's height and reach differed from fight to fight on TotT? Those things aren't necessarily reliable...

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

In terms of cardio, keeping up with diaz's pure volume of movement, likely had a large effect on connor too, thats what wins diaz his fights, hes a volume fighter, last time he gassed in the second round and diaz hadnt, this time they both wore each other out, slightly later on. It looks like a good tactical strategy.

edit (ive only seen highlights so far, so I may be completely wrong)

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

id agree with this 9 times out of 10

However in this case id say what was tiring conor was when nate backed him up got close and was throwing combinations, in that case clinching especially if you are the stronger guy and your opponent is not known for his strength or power makes sense,

i would say even though conor was meant to be lighter he was strength wise close to nate which you can see when he defended the take down attempts and picked nate up off his legs

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

they are more likely to get this correct the bigger the show, with the UFC you would expect them to be fairly accurate, and with the weight at time of weigh in you would expect them to be spot on.

of course the weight at the start of the fight would be different but i dont think Nate is a fighter known for excessive weight cuts where as conor is

11. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Nobody steps onto the scales at their actual weight and nobody steps into the cage at their weigh in weight (except for us pudgy heavyweights!). Nate walks around a lot heavier than McGregor, and I expect was significantly heavier in the fight.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think Nate walks around 185-190 pounds, and Conor mid 170s, both would have put on weight after weigh in but doubt nate would have got to close to his top weight in a day?

And what your walking around weight is and your weight during a camp is different i think

13. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

True - I guess the point is that weight classes don't bear much resemblance to actual size on the day - its about how hard you can cut