UFC 196!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Schaub has a point though - it isn't as though anyone of any real skill used those type of movements is it......?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB_KRHXU1BA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB_KRHXU1BA[/ame]

..........oh....wait.....

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

SBG have multiple self grown current or former UFC Fighters though, so you can't say its only based on luck, then again Connor and guni are pretty special, but I'd wadger there's as much nuture as nature going into their ability.

Conor McGregor
    Gunnar Nelson
    Paddy Holohan
    Aisling Daly
    Makwan Amirkhani
    Artem Lobov
    Cathal Pendred
    Taylor Lapilus (maybe not home grown)
    Francisco Albano Barrio (maybe not home grown)
    Saul Rogers (TUF winner)
    and I think Forest Griffen and randy couture were SBG at somepoint too

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Forrest was straight SBG, student of the Singer brothers.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hell I was SBG at some point too. Got a blue belt from Matt Thornton. :)
    My point wasn't so much to rubbish the SBG lot but to put it into the context of how best train for MMA.
    Schaub's coming at it from a conventional and well established athletic background of American football. Coaches, assistant coaches, specific coaches, the combine, etc.
    As he rightly says being someone that qualified climbing trees would get you laughed out of a job in the nfl.
    MMA still has a way to go in establishing how best to train for MMA.
    Plus you know...he's just trying to amuse and create listeners.

5. Dead_pool

My own viewpoint with IDO, is that he's using conor to get attention for his system, but that its not really central to MMA training.
    Its just a cool change of pace, like yoga or crossfit, hmmmmm....... or DPyogafit (TM me)!

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I agree with that. :)

7. Dead_pool

Just like ronda and both Gracie academy and 10th planet.
    (i do like the way she played them both against each other)

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Forest was with the singers for years but had some previous training and as Adam has said before the best thing that ever happened to them was when this beast who doesnt get tired, doesn't quite, hits like a mule turned up to train.

Randy used Matt as a sparring partner and his coach Robert fuliss was Matt's number one teacher for a while, natt quarry was also a sbg guy and rosi sexton should be added to the list.

Wasn't gunner already a beast of a grappler before he went to sbg, honestly can't remember??

sBG certainly got lucky with Connor as I think kavangh went from being a part time gym owner trying to make ends meet to being a full time gym owner with teachers under him and people lining up to train with him

I was always surprised that an organisation which was so vocal in the early mma years, and had such early success with Forrest, Nate, rosi, kavangh himself didn't kick on and produce more talented fighters on the international stage.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Pro mma fighters only have so many hours in a day to train, so they should pick who they train with and now carefully, I always wondered if rickson had continued to fight if he would have carried on with the yoga and gymnatica stuff, or done as his cousin renzo did and gone with a proper S and C coach , renzo was a pioneer in so many ways, not least in leading the way with hiring professional S and C coaches in a sport that was so far behind NCAA college programmes let alone other pro sports it's not even funny.

10. Dead_pool

Gunnar was introduced to Bjj and grappling by sbg, he did karate before though.

11. Hannibal

Significantly he did for the Takada fight :)

12. Dead_pool

Do you do yoga, because you have 66 herniated discs, or do you have herniated disc, because you don't do regular S/C?

13. Hannibal

Ask your average pro wrestler :)

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The Portal stuff is just a glorified mish mash of capoeira, yoga and basic gymnastics.

15. Dead_pool

16. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Am I wrong to find that quite appealing? If you mainly fight it seems like a hipster-mixtape of those things can probably get you a fair bit of the crossover value without having three coaches/schedules/worrying about Vedic energy transfer over-much. Even if the guy does have a topknot.

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

from a guy thats trained guys all the way up to UFC title fights
    Thats the point i suppose if you’re a fighter you get better by training your skills, and resting and recovering, everything else you do should be a supplement to that and takes away from that skill development, and should be planned carefully in regards to what you need and the risk rewards it offers.
    I can see the benefit of improving your strength and your conditioning outside the gym, because after a while you cant get the overload you need to stimulus strength gains or aerobic conditioning, alactic conditioning from just your skill training, but do you need movement training outside what you are already doing in class, do you want different movement patterns than what you are already getting from your striking and grappling coaches?
    Not to mention most professional strength coaches know the difference between in season and out of season training, know how to taper your sessions in order to meet your fight prep training, know when to remove certain things from your training as your fight prep ramps up.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

ask Eric Cressey and he will say both :) and probably tell you the joga caused your back issues

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  19. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

I guess I'm not as convinced as you are that even these "top level" S&C guys have mapped out the unpredictable demands of MMA so well that a bit of general, though scattershot, low-impact training on agility, flexibility, balance is a total waste of time.

The Diaz's themselves are a good example; I don't think anyone would say "compete in triathlons then get stoned all the time" is a good general scheme for MMA cardio but it seems to give them an endurance and output advantage over every other fighter in the sport.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Well MMA is one of the hardest sports to prepare someone for that’s for sure, its as much as the fighter and their style of fighting than about anything else, Diaz brothers are a case in point, their style perfectly matches their aerobic endurance abilities, throw lots of punches overwhelm someone with those accurate punches in bunches because you don’t have the explosive one punch knockout power to finish the fight in the first round or the explosive takedown ability of say a hector lombart, because you have traded your alactic explosiveness for aerobic endurance

But as you keep adding more and more variables into a an already hectic and difficult to prepare for sport, you aren’t making it any easier for yourself