UFC 169

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Dave76, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I dunno what it says about my mind but I read that as "fellated". :p

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ref's aren't mind readers.
    Dean saw a fighter get majorly rocked for a second time, fall flat on his face as if totally KO'd and then do nothing except passively put a hand up while his opponent hammer fisted him in the bonce/hand.
    I dare say the fight could have gone on but if Faber feels it was stopped early he's only got himself to blame really.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

So the next time a fighter gets knocked down and covers his head with his hands whilst his opponent whales on him, you want the referee to let it go on until...when exactly?

4. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Didn't think it was a very good card, sweet KO from Trujillo though! The prelims were a huge letdown for me, although the main card was better. I was surprised that Baguatinov handled Lineker the way he did. Overeem finally bags a win, but I didn't think he looked all that great to be honest. There were a couple of times he put his guard up, and Mir still landed on him clean. Reem needs to stop trying to block with his guard so much, 4 oz gloves just aren't big enough, and start using more mobility (easier said than done!)

Aldo put in an awesome performance for me, I don't get why people are ragging on him. From a technical point of view, he was awesome, using distance and angles to keep Lamas frustrated and prevent his offense, whilst still landing his own shots. What more does a fighter need to do? This wasn't boring, hang-back stuff to me, and I'd suggest re-watching it if you think otherwise. Watch what he's doing in regards to footwork and set-ups, he picks Lamas apart for most of the fight!

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The hammerfists weren't exactly thunderous. I have a general rule for whether TKOs are good or not and that's that if immediately after the stop the fighter is up and protesting then I would of preferred they let them keep fighting. That said, I don't blame Herb Dean for that stop and can understand why he stopped it.

6. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

You sometimes have to feel a little bit for the refs, it's a tough job.

Stop a fight too early and you've spoiled it for everyone.

Stop a fight too late and you're inhumane and don't care about the wellbeing of the fighters.

Stop a fight at just the right moment and people sing your praises.

I do wonder how much of a refs person opinion goes into stopping a fight.

'Hmm...if he's already down and taking shots like that odds are he's not going to recover I best just stop this now before he gets too hurt.'

or

'Hmm...I wonder what I should have for supper when I get home. Did I pull anything out of the freezer...did I leave the tap running...OH CRAP HE'S GETTING SLAUGHTERED, I best stop this!'

7. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Until he is no longer intelligently defending himself. I believe that is what the rules state. As was already pointed out, those hammer fists weren't exactly whaling and they were being blocked. Like I said before though, I don't think the call changed the outcome of the fight. I still think Herb Dean is a good ref, this call was just a little premature in my opinion.