UFC 168: Weidman v Silva II

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Mushroom, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Chris Weidman (c) vs. Anderson Silva
    Ronda Rousey (c) vs Miesha Tate
    Josh Barnett vs Travis Browne
    Jim Miller vs. Fabrício Camões
    Dustin Poirier vs. Diego Brandao

Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)

Chris Leben vs. Uriah Hall
    Gleison Tibau vs. Michael Johnson
    Dennis Siver vs. Manvel Gamburyan
    John Howard vs. Siyar Bahadurzada

Preliminary card (Online)
    William Macario vs. Bobby Voelker
    Robbie Peralta vs. Estevan Payan

-

Its this weekend!

Who you got?

The ones in bold is who I think would win.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Silva beats Weidman, Rousey beats Tate although I have money on the latter.

I miss the days when I knew every fighter on the card :p

Very interested to see Siver at 145 again though

3. Mushroom

Here you go

http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC168#howToWatchModule

I really like Siver and Manny, I think its a good scrap for both guys.

Silva to win if he keeps his eyes open, chin down, hands up....

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I won't even guess the outcome of Wiedman vs Silva.

Roussey will take home Tate's arm for her trophy case. Biggest questin there isn't the out come, but if Ronda is going to do a Palhares.

I think Brandao will win.

Leben vs Hall. I didn't even know that was in the lineup. Intriguing. Leben's best days are far behind him. Hall hasn't shown his TUF potential in actual UFC fights. But he is fighting for his UFC life as I am sure he will be cut if he loses this fight. Hmmm, I am going to go with Leben on this one.

I don't know Miller's opponent, but I will go with Miller anyways.

Not a fan of Johnson's fighting at all. I'll pick Tibau. It is a pick on emotion though.

Those are the fights I know enough about to try and predict. However, I am pretty bad at predictions!

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Interesting point actually. If Rousey breaks Tates arm after she taps, what will happen?

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Why would you think she would? If she wants to break her arm she can do it before she has a chance to tap, and historically she's broken arms because people haven't tapped (indeed I'm sure there's one where she had to tell the ref the elbow had gone).

7. Ben Gash CLF

I am honestly struggling to wait for this event. The top 3 fights all promise to be excellent.

8. aaradia

Well, breaking the arm when she could hold off on doing so, also kind of fits what I was thinking. Tap or not.

I meant overall Ronda doing unecessary damage.

Why do I think so? Because of watching all of the last TUF. She was not too mentally stable in her attitude towards Tate.

And I was a Roussey fan before the show. (I am much less so now.)

9. Southpaw535

If Palhares is anything to go by, not much. That dude got away with it a lot in his career and he wasn't the draw Rousey is. I don't see her doing it though. I can't think of a time she's held the lock and she's open about respecting Tate as a fighter. For all her female diaz image I think she's professional enough to respect the tap. Whether Tate chooses to be smart and tap though remains to be seen.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Well, I don't believe putting an armbar on too hard is against the rules, so not a lot would happen (my post was directed more at Chadderz' more specific question).
    I can totally see Ronda hurting Tate.

11. Southpaw535

D'Aleio or something like that she pointed out she made a noise. Budd I think she mentioned it as well but in that one Budd tapped but the ref couldn't see because of the belly down finish.

edit: As far as her putting it on hard in the first place, Rousey definitely seems to come from the Frank Mir school of "I'm breaking it. If you tap in time then good for you"

edit 2: Just watched the Budd fight again and i got it wrong. Budd tapped to the belly down and Rousey mentioned it but Winslow missed it ( so surprised at her having a reffing fail...) so Rousey rolled through and broke it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  12. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Silva wins tommorow and we will see a part 3 since fans wont trust Silva as champ. Next Christmas Silva vs Weedman 3

I think Rhonda is gonna win against Tate, but I hope Tate crushes her damage wise and get the win. Rhonda would be SO KARMA'd it would bring balance to middle earth.

Leben vs Hall. Leben looked weird when he came out, toughest fight of Hall's career by far, I hope he brings the new generation into the future.

Tibau vs Johnson. I seen both , I hope Johnson wins but Tibau is such a veteran.

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Palhares got booted after he did it the last time. Don't underestimate how seriously Dana White takes those kind of things - no one fighter is bigger than the promotion and the last thing White needs is a high profile assault during a women's title fight. Just look at how much peacekeeping he was doing on TUF.

Now, that said, Rousey could easily (easily) bust Tate's arm before she has a chance to tap if Tate lets her lock the elbow, but if she's smart she wont do it deliberately because she'll want the talk after to be about her performance, not about her injuring her opponent out of spite.

Of course, Tate might just whoop her ass. Someone's gonna place one on Rousey's chin sooner or later. Why not Tate?

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

We'll probably see a third fight (because who else is there) but to say fans wont trust Silva as the champion is crazy. How many people have you met who think Weidmann is a better fighter than Silva or that the first fight wasn't a fluke?

15. Mushroom

Tate went through a nasty armbar, Rousey had to pretty much bend it 90' the wrong way till she finally tapped.
    A lot of people including Tate are saying that because she got out of 1 the first time, she can get out again. I think its a mistake that they are just concentrating on that one move, sure Rousey is devstating at it but it makes it sound like she is a 1 trick pony. No one can be a Olympic medallist in judo and just have an armbar.

The real test will be in the later rounds for Rousey, since she never left the 1st round, will going into the later rounds effect her? Her cardio should be top notch too but we all seen fighters wane.

I'm actually torn on who may win between the girls. Tate's best chance is im the later rounds when Rousey gets tired, but then Tate will also get tired and may not be able to fight off the TD and sub.

Another idea is to land a haymaker on Rousey's chin straight away, 30 sec KO a la JDS v Valesquez 1. You know Rousey will dive straight forward to close the distance and she'll go in swinging..

Silva/Weidman 3 will happen. I think itll be a summer fight though. Unless Silva absolutely demolishes Weidman, leaving No Doubt (hey thats the title of the show!).
    Or Silva retires by way of GSP, like how he has been threatening to do so, despite the 10 fight extension contract.

16. aaradia

Because she already got her arm damaged by Rousey? Because she only got this chance because Zingano blew out her knee? Because her record recently isn't that great?

It won't be Tate - but I think it might be Alpha Cat with a brutal knee!!!!!

Rousey disapponted me in TUF. I kept making excuses for her right up until the flipping off while repelling down the wall during the coaches challenge. There are still things about her I greatly admire, but she has some serious issues personality-wise. My support for her has dwindled quite a bit from the TUF stint.

But I don't like Tate either. That push off on the face of Zingano was aweful. And her whining after the fight did not impress me either.

I think Rousey will win, and I guess I am rooting for her slightly more than Tate.

But I will be clearly rooting for Zingano next WMMA Bantamweight championship fight!

I am excited for this fight too. Even though I think it will end typically for a Ronda fight, and even though I can't really root for either one - I am still excited to see it!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  17. aaradia

I just watched the weigh ins. I am changing one of my picks. I now pick Poirier over Brandao. Brandao missed weight and it wasn't even close.

18. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I cringed at the 'rappel-flip-off' as well. "Why ya gotta do that?!?" But nothing in my mind equated disrespect as that moment when Tate put her hand in Zingano's face after the bell...I think it was the look in Tate's face as much as the hand.

That will forever encapsulate who Tate really is...

19. aaradia

I was also bummed about the Zingano injury because Tate was scheduled to fight Carmouche. I really wanted to see that fight!

Liz Carmouche is my favorite female fighter- bar none.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Summer'll be too soon. The winner will have to fight Belfort before there can be a third.