UFC 128

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Tom O'Brien, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Means nothing but here's my picks for kicks -

Rua v Jones
    Faber v Wineland
    Jim Miller v Shalorus
    Akiyama v Marquart
    Cro Cop v Schaub
    Cane v Marshall
    Barboza v Njokuami
    Almeida v Pyle
    Pellegrino v Tibau
    Benevidez v Loveland
    Dan Miller v Catone

Yeah, yeah - so I went with the favorites. Gotta go with the Miller bros.

Thanks,
    Tom:)

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I would agree with most, but I think Brendan Schaub would (unfortunately) destroy Crocop. He's big, young and crazy strong.

I on the other hand will be missing this as I'll be away in Coppenhagen, being KO'd in the form of alchi-pop....unless I find a sports bar that will show it!

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I don't recall seeing anyone give Jones any trouble yet so this one will be interesting.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think Schaub will beat cro cop unless the latter has really turned himself around this camp and I'm on the fence about the Rua - Jones fight. I like both but Shogun's been out for a long time with his injuries and Jones is shaping up like a new generation p4p. I am very interested what Rua's gameplan is going to be though

5. EpicFightTime

EpicFightTime Banned Banned

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LulabD4L024"]YouTube - UFC 128 Predictions[/ame]

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My picks...

Rua v Jones
    Faber v Wineland
    Jim Miller v Shalorus
    Akiyama v Marquart
    Cro Cop v Schaub
    Cane v Marshall
    Barboza v Njokuami
    Almeida v Pyle
    Pellegrino v Tibau
    Benevidez v Loveland
    Dan Miller v Catone

Brought to you by "pulling names out of my ass". :)

7. Mushroom

OK turns out I'm back in UK at about Sunday and will be able to view it. I'll give a review as soon as possible.

However at this stage, I'll talk about the main event.

Shogun Rua (c) vs Jon Jones

Shogun is a young veteran, still in his prime but has been fighting all over the World for years, including my own personal favourite points in MMA history, Pride FC. He had a bit of a shaky start coming into the UFC with a loss to Forrest Griffin, something he partially blames from pre-existing injuries and bad training camps.
    Now he has peaked again with winning the Championship off an (then) undefeated Japanese/Brazilian Lyoto Machida with a very convincing knockout, the previous encouter although Lyoto walked away with the belt, he was visibly more damaged than Rua was.

Shogun's next opponent was to be hard-hitting wrestler form of Rashard Evans, Ultimate Fighter winner, Ultimate Fighter coach and former UFC Champion.
    It was going to be an interesting fight as Evans was pretty easily taken care of by Lyoto in their encounter and in turn Shogun did so by Lyoto.
    So it was the case of "If Lyoto KO'd Evans, and Shogun KO'd Lyoto, then surely Shogun should win easily?".....but in the cage anything can happen.

If Evans won, he would definately be hounded by Lyoto's camp for a "rematch", once again Evans being the defending Champion.

Shogun however, has gone up against wrestlers before, the well publicised feud between him and other Pride/UFC veteran Mark Hammer Coleman. But, Evans is younger, more focused and was on more of a tear within the division. So Shogun's training must have been training more so on his takedown defences and cage reversals and clinch escapes. Giving himself more room to work his superior Muay Thai against a wrestler with the big punch.

Now on short notice, an injury to Evans' knee has sidelined him and replaced with something, in my opion, a lot more scarier.
    Jon 'Bones' Jones.
    A Greco-Roman style wrestler (no leg attacks) and an excellent striker and of course, huge reach advantage. It isnt enough that when the 2 men stood next to each other when the fight was annouced after Jones manhandled fellow wrestler Ryan Bader, that Jones simply towered over Shogun, but also has the longest arms, in the UFC. He will look out to utilise he straight punches and has also claimed that his gameplan will include very active clinches.
    A little over 6 weeks notice, Shogun has/must change his training by factoring in the new reach, height and strength differential. However, the danger lies in that Shogun believes Jon Jones has no KO power in his hands, regardless of his excellent kickboxing. Although he acknowledges the hunger of the new fighter, even Shogun considers himself as the underdog. So what will Shogun do? Traditionally, when going up against a person of longer reach, you get in close, take away the advantage of the longer reach and use one's shorter range to dig in good body shots, but this will play into the hands of Jones' tactic of an active clinch as well as superior wrestling.
    Shogun no stranger to clinches due to his Thai, but will have to somehow avoid the odd angles the elbows will come in from as well as the faster knees of Jones' from his longer legs. (Jones' knees are closer to Rua's face in comparison)

This could potentially be a hard striking competition, Jon Jone's chin has yet to be fully tested, also has yet to go into the deeper Championship rounds of 4 and 5. Pressure from Jones of being one of the youngest Champions in MMA also plays a factor, its unlikely but will Jones have the "big show jitters"? as best described by ringside commentators Goldman and Rogan.
    Another way this can go is slow,up against the cage grinding match. As Shogun can only truly nullify Jones' obvious advantages by doing Randy Couture like cage pressuring stratedgies.

My heart is on Shogun Rua, my brain and experience tells me Jon Jones. Either way I'll be happy. (but I really want Shogun to win)

8. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

OK I suck at predictions but I'm goin go in for the fights I know who the fighters are.

Rua vs. Jones AKA Rust vs. Green

Gotta go with Bones Jones. Rua is a legend. It's not just his ring rust but man after like endless knee surgeries there's no way in hell his knee is back. Besides the obvious rust and possible lingering effects of injury the worst effect of serious injury is Rua has not had the opportunity to evolve. At his best he can beat anyone but I have serious doubts that he can ever be at his best anymore.

Faber vs. Wineland

Going with Faber. I haven't seen Wineland but I think Faber just has all the tools to win.

Schuab vs. Cro-Cop

Schuab. I don't understand the old arguments about Old Cro-Cop vs "Old" Cro-Cop.
    Dude is just old. Legend yes but Cro-Cop should retire if he loses.

Dan Miller vs. Marquardt

Mardquardt. Dude is beast he just hasn't been able to win in the big ones for whatever reason. Dude is too well rounded and good.

OK I'm shooting for a 50/50 split on calling this right.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  9. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

4 for 4!

10. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

good work :hat:

11. Mushroom

It was awesome I think.

I thought CroCop gave a lot better than a lot of people expected, up to the last few minutes of the last round.
    Retirement I think. As thats 2 KO's in a row?

Shogun broke my heart, but in a way he had a lot going against him. Rashad will get mauled.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn I should have put some money on that show.
    I did pretty well with my picks. :)

13. Southpaw535

Been 24 hours hasn't it?

I think retirement or possibly give him a low level name somehwere to let him go out on a win. He looked better in that fight but his chin seems to have gone completely. Then again Schaub isn't the weakest puncher in the division.

I ws panicking big time when I saw him come out in different shorts but to give him credit he showed some heart. Not making excuses for him either, Jones is good, but he didn't look right in that fight. He looked nervous making his way to the ring and he didn't look comfortable in it he looked a lot like he did against Forrest.

EDIT:
    ON the Cro Cop thing:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  14. Southpaw535

Just watched it again, anyone else notice Shogun tapped?

15. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Yea he was tapping when he hit the ground. I don't think he had recovered after those vicious knees to his ribs.

16. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

no never noticed... at what point?

17. Southpaw535

Plus that hook looked like a liver shot. Jones is going to be a tough guy to dethrone

18. Southpaw535

Just after herb dean steps in

Can't attach gif to this sorry

19. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Good thing the ref jumped in. Shogun had already given up at that point. Is it just me or did he look a bit sloppy in the beginning of the fight though?

Jones is an exciting fighter to watch, I hope they can keep the match ups coming, he has a long road ahead.

20. Southpaw535

I think the lay off was way too much he looked the same as he did when Forrest dismantled him on his debut. Even ignoring him looking nervous though Jones did open the fight with a flying knee to the jaw