UFC 126

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by slipthejab, Feb 6, 2011.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

UFC 126... wow! Lived up to and exceeded the hype in my opinion!!! Not seen in on here so I figured I'd make a thread...

Ok in no particular order - well in the order that they made the most impression in my mind...
    Silva VS Belfort -

Yes that's right KTFO! On the end of one very crafty and chambered front snap kick! WOW!!!!! Had that been a teep of the Muay Thai variety I dare say it might not have resulted in a KO. But the Silva wasn't taking any chances with someone like Belfort. So he simply snap kicked him (from the rear leg btw) in the chin for the KO. Stellar. Just stellar. And just OUCH!!! So this leads to Silva VS GSP it seems.

Jon 'Bones' Jones VS Ryan 'Darth' Bader -

Jon was too smart, too long and too strong for Bader. Bader never really looked to have the upper hand at all. Jon was all over him... faster and smarter than him. If this had gone on longer I suspect Bader would have gassed. Too top heavy and not enough reach. A very different set of body types going to battle here. Now we get to see the 'Bones' VS Shogun Rua... no doubt Rua is going to give him the fight that so many haven't been able to bring. I think it's going to be a big step up in competition. Huge fan of 'Bones' conducts himself well, superb athlete and doesn't talk trash. 'Bones' for the win not only this bout... but also for the sake of the public image of the sport!

Forest Griffin VS Rich Franklin -

Mirror images of each other. Griffin bigger and stronger for it. Franklin one smart fighter and managed to hang in there. Size made the issue in the end. Griffin surely walks around a lot heavier than what he fought this at and it shows. Both good attitude going into this fight... chuck in Jim Carrey and you have brothers 3. :p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

3. shorinshodan

shorinshodan Valued Member

Why is it strange? Seagal is a very accomplished martial artist.

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Its just a front kick to the face,Silva will of learnt that kick from his Muay Thai coach many years ago,Seagal my ****!:)

5. liero

liero Valued Member

Anderson "front kick" Silva.

I personally dont understand where and why Segal suddenly turned up on the machida/silva scene.

Is it a publicity stunt? Is he legitimately training them?

6. slipthejab

Strange because Segal is more synonymous with cheezy, squinty B action fliks and wooden acting than he is with martial arts. Let me tell you how I really feel. :p

To be honest I've always rated his Aikido. Outside of his personality and ego and his penchant to try soooooo hard to come off as a tough guy - his Aikido from what I've seen of it is very good. A few guys I worked with way back trained for quite a long time at his dojo in Los Angeles (Hollywood I think it was) and they were all very competent door guys.

It is with great amusement the story that's been kicking around for ages of Seagal getting lippy with Judo Gene LeBell and getting the snot choked out of himself until he ****ed his trouser on a film set. I'll see if I can find the article. Comedy gold.

At any rate... I heard that he was training Silva in something... not sure what. Aikido places a lot of emphasis on the opening. Silva sure seems able to use that... while I'm guessing it's only supplemental to his overall training... it is what it is. :hat:

What I find silly is why he showed up in yellow tinted lenses. Like you wear for target and tactical shooting. We all know the advantage they offer in a shooting scenario... not sure why you would need them indoors at a fight event where it's entirely artificial light! He's tries so hard to come off as sooooo tough and just seems that he should have spent less time posing and just gone off and joined the police force. It almost seems an obsession with him. Don't even get me started on his whole ridiculous habit of wearing Tibetan prayer beads all over town and trying to pass himself off as some sort of spiritual guru. :p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Silva has been throwing front snap kicks since he was knee high to a grasshopper. He has been taking martial arts since he was a kid...

I love the Seagal angle, however. :)

8. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

dude i don't get it. it was just a front snap kick. the same kick that your taught in almost every form of striking based martial arts that allows kicks. this isn't anything like the kick off the fence jumping roundhouse kick finish that Petis pulled off against Henderson. it was just a good well placed front snap kick. plain and simple.

i think seagall is just trying to use the fact that he may have been holding the focus mits when anderson was practicing his combinations as an excuse to get himself back in the lime light.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yep. I'm pretty annoyed he got KO of the night I thought the head kick in the prelims was better personally. This is standard Silva and realy by Silva's standards this isn't that spectacular and he's hardly the first person to throw a front kick to the face. The only thing I thought was impressive about it is that Vitor, who I have to admit I haven't seen fight that I can remember, was hyped as able to give him a good fight and he barely even moved when the kick came.

10. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I recall the excitement Segal generated when he first came on the scene. Then came his outlandish stories to enhance his man of mistery personna. Then came the allegations of sexual harassment.

I know a guy who worked on the crew of "Exit Wounds". I had asked him what Segal was like. He emphatically provided details that were not flattering. This would have been after old Steve got allegedly sent to nighty night land by Judo Gene so clearlly that episode did not have the hunbling effect that it should have.

The one good thing about the article is that it looks like he lost weight. The yellow tinted glasses? Who would wear those outside a gun range?

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I watched the post fight press conference last night and to be fair to Segal, Anderson actually went out of his way to mention him in relation to the kick. I thought it was just Steven jumping on the band wagon but obviously not. Pretty strange! There we go, he obviously didn't teach Anderson the kick but he seemingly had some influence on how he threw it.

I don't really like Anderson personally, but as a fighter he is one of the best of all time, probably the best MMA striker ever. I'd love to see him fight Lawler and Manhoef to but really if he can do that to Vitor he'd be the favorate to outstrike even them. Who KOs people with a front kick to the face FFS!

12. slipthejab

ahhh didn't see that. Who was the match up with?

That's the total beauty of it. It's what every kid learns in TKD or Karate and has been told is t3h d34d733! and well... Silva just showed that it can be when it's timed right and with the right set up. Sure he's not the first person to throw a front kick to the face... but what other fights can you think of that have been as hyped, high profile and relatively evenly balanced in terms of adversary being KTFO? Not many that I can think of. I can't think of a single front kick that's KO'd anyone... the only one I seem to remember as being something to worry about was that monster log of a front kick that Semmy Shilt used in the PRIDE bouts. :p

Again.. underscoring all the more the beauty of the kick and the well placed timing of it. Simple technique timed well and set up well. Awesome.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think Vitor didn't move because his brain was too busy thinking "I wonder what that leg is doing?....oooff!!!". :)

There's also a similar MMA front kick KO doing then rounds from last year. A pretty good one too.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Here it is...

[​IMG]

Nice. :)

15. slipthejab

ouch that was unexpected! brutal... and then the swat for good measure. who is it in the clip?

16. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Paul Taylor against Gabe Rudiger. It was a superb kick, the kind you can't watch without flinching.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Cory Tait I think. In the UK apparently. Never heard of him myself.
    Actually it's a slightly different kick to Andersons. Lands with the instep rather than the BOTF by the looks.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And the Paul Taylor v Gabe Reudiger finish. Ouch.

[​IMG]

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It almost looked like what we called a twist kick in taekwondo. In that the kick sorta hit the guy on the way up AND out. Like an inversed round kick. No wonder the guy didn't see it coming. Always struck me as the most unlikely kick ever devised.

20. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Silva rocks!

Also why do I think of him as "Morpheus"?? :D